Epidural or no epidural? And why??

missblue18

for me i didnt decide whether to take epi or not...its kind of see what happens in the labor ward but when it was 10am n nurses told me i shd deliver at 3plus or 4pm...i told myself no point suffering (at tat point contractions were already kicking in)so i took the epi and no regrets at !!! i did experience the shivering but no vomitting or nausea, it was in fact a breeze so i told my hubby jokingly tat i wanna be the ambassador for Epidural!!! Just take it!

BbpHir3

so did e gas work for you??
it only works when use the correct way... by the time i start using, i cant hold the mask properly liaoz.. so i end up leaving it on the bed n turn to my side n breathe in lohz.... kekekeke... hubby dun even wanna hold for me.. cuz he scared he accidentally breathe in den pass out himself.... hahahaha....

snowbear

cuz he scared he accidentally breathe in then pass out himself.... hahahaha....
haha... reminds me of the story the nurse told during antenatal class: the wife was screaming in pain despite having the laughing gas so the hubby tot it wasn't functioning properly and took a deep sniff... and fainted :tlaugh:

Anyway i was also assured that epi is not the cause of backaches. The side effects i had were shivering and a bit of nausea. The backache that some pp experience may have to do with their daily life rather than epi itself.

uddermummy

it only works when use the correct way... by the time i start using, i cant hold the mask properly liaoz.. so i end up leaving it on the bed and turn to my side and breathe in lohz.... kekekeke... hubby dont even wanna hold for me.. cuz he scared he accidentally breathe in then pass out himself.... hahahaha....
my husband kept pushing the mask to me cos he wanted me to get high! He said it's better to have me giggle than to hear me scream!!! :tlaugh:

meiteoh

:p

I very kiasi so really read up before delivering. but hai, in the end still emergency c-section.

my friends say i very loh soh sometimes. :001_302:
Cheh, nothing wrong with that. Good to know stuff!!! (Coz I'm also the same in some ways...) :001_302:

austrina

i have epi 4 my 2 pregnancy... no backache though... bt must rem not 2 take any panadol after your delivery or else you will vomit like mad... try askin 4 anti vomit med... just in case...
my 1st dear daughter birth i took panadol after e delivery & i vomit like 12HRS! lol 4 my 2nd i just took anti vomit med & nothin happen...
if this is your 1st preggie then epi will work just fine 4 you... if you are in 2nd preggie it doesnt work dat well... still can feel e pain... just like me... lol

well.. e choice is up 2 you... no 1 can choose e amt of pain you can endure...
take care...

Priya Diva

Hi everyone

I am a 1st time mum[ gave birth in Jan. I had put epidural after i had dilated 5cm. I could not take the pain.. However after 2 hrs as my baby's heart rate was acelerating, i had an emergency c-section.

I had only shivering after the epidural but no pain and only some slight vommiting. Other than that no prob with epidural. Backache was only on the 2nd day after delivery.

I have two qns to ask from all mummies...
1. In order to have a successful normal delivery using epidural, which period will it be best to put in the epidural?

[ i felt that because i had put the epidural after 5cm of dilation, by the time it kick start and showed its symptoms, my baby might have gone on stress, this leading to emegency c-section]

** I don't know if i am correct.....

2. If there is an emergency c-section, as far as i know, there is only epidural c-section delivery or GA c-section delivery. Is there any other anesthetic med that is used for c-section.

My aunty who delivered[ her 2nd kid.. 1st one normal wit no epi] last yr had emergency c-section. She was awake but she insist she never put any epidural[ she kind of against it ] ... she said doc just put injection and thats all she was awake for the c-section. Anyone have any idea whats she talking about....

jj25

Alpha Male
I had put epidural after i had dilated 5cm. I could not take the pain.. However after 2 hours as my baby's heart rate was acelerating, i had an emergency c-section.

1. In order to have a successful normal delivery using epidural, which period will it be best to put in the epidural?

2. If there is an emergency c-section, as far as i know, there is only epidural c-section delivery or GA c-section delivery. Is there any other anesthetic med that is used for c-section.

quote]

For Q1) - My DW had epidural when she was 8cm dilated and after 2 hrs, she delivered naturally. I guess there is no exact period to have the epidural administered. Some had it once they reach the delivery ward, some when 4cm dilated etc. It depends on individual's pain tolerence and the baby's individual reaction after that, I may be wrong.

Q2) For emergency c-section, since epi was already administered, GA will not be an option. If epi was not administered, for c-sec, then there is an option to numb the lower portion of the body (epi or GA) or total body numb (u sleep thru the ops) and I guess the med used for the whole body numb is the same that is used for GA.

Can other mummies assist cos that's all I knew and I may be wrong.

stonston

Based on my discussions with my gynae, he said tt some ppl can't relax when in pain, so it may have caused baby to go into distress. Tt was one of the reasons why i chose to take epidural the moment i felt any pain at all.

For C section, I think you aunt asked for Local anesthesia. I think it is possible but alot of gynaes will not recommend as you will still feel some pain here and there during the operation and this may cause you to move/fidget.

mag_huiling

Hi everyone

I am a 1st time mum[ gave birth in Jan. I had put epidural after i had dilated 5cm. I could not take the pain.. However after 2 hours as my baby's heart rate was acelerating, i had an emergency c-section.

I had only shivering after the epidural but no pain and only some slight vommiting. Other than that no prob with epidural. Backache was only on the 2nd day after delivery.

[ i felt that because i had put the epidural after 5cm of dilation, by the time it kick start and showed its symptoms, my baby might have gone on stress, this leading to emegency c-section]

** I dont't know if i am correct.....

My aunty who delivered[ her 2nd kid.. 1st one normal wit no epi] last your had emergency c-section. She was awake but she insist she never put any epidural[ she kind of against it ] ... she said doc just put injection and thats all she was awake for the c-section. Anyone have any idea whats she talking about....
i think it depends on the condition of your baby... i took epidural the moment i reached labor ward, 5cm dilated too, and gave birth naturally...

ya.. i think it depends on individual.. my sis had the same situation as Priya Diva.. For me i had epi when i dilate 5cm and waited till my cervix dilated till 10cm before proceed to give birth naturally.