Experienced bf mummies-I need advise!

Nathaniel Mummy

Hi mummies,

I need a few advice from experienced breastfeeding mummies here. Currently I'm in my 2nd trimester for my 2nd baby. First baby bf for 2 months and gave up(which i still have that guilty feeling in me till now :( ) Anyways, now im determined to bf my 2nd baby and am really overwhelmed by all the info out there

1) Most recommended electric breast pump seems to be Medela. Is there any other good alternatives which is not as expensive as Madela? Would like to hear other brand users which are satisfied with their electric breast pump that are not too ex.

2) For mummies who works fulltime outside home - How do you store your breast milk at work? Do you bring a cooler bag to work?? or do you share the same fridge in the pantry with everyone else?? there's a fridge in my office area but i dont know why i feel like im going to be uncomfortable putting my ebm in that fridge! so confuse...

3) Lastly, do you bring your breast pump to the hospital for use after deliver? is it even advisable to pump after delivery?

These are the questions(for now) that have been bugging me. Sorry for being lengthy but I sincerely hope for replies from experienced bf mummies out there. Thank you!

Tannie

Hi, I can only advise on ur qn 3. It is not necessary to bring pump to hospital. u can direct latch on. It's better to latch on so your baby learn to suck n baby is the best pump n stimulant for breast milk to come.

Jojoai

For the 2 questions I'm not sure. But for the 3 rd question I'm extremely glad I brought my pump. My boy didn't want to latch on. I had short nipple. And my flow didn't come yet. I brought my pump and pumped every 1 hour in the hospital. And luckily my supply came. Fed him EBM for 3 months. Then switched to direct latch. I recommend bringing it ! In case you need a little boost when your milk supply doesn't come.

hi,Nathaniel Mummy

1) cannot review much on this since i still think medela help alot:)

2) How do you store your breast milk at work?
after expressing, u can store in fridge, since u are not comfortable using shared fridge, buy a mini fridge solely for your breastmilk:)

refreeze yr ice pack in the freezer because u need hard ice pack when going home.

Do you bring a cooler bag to work?
yes, must bring cooler bag and ice pack for transporting milk

3) Lastly, do you bring your breast pump to the hospital for use after deliver? is it even advisable to pump after delivery?

u can bring it along just in case u need it. but always try latching baby on. even if no milk, there might be colostrum.

stay07

For q1, i have tried both medela and avent single electric pump n they were both quite noisy. They were also not as efficient has the avent manual pump that i ended up using instead cus it gives me the control of regulating the speed n rhythem that i need at each point of pumping. Q2, i would advise u to keep ur ebm in one of those Nanny ebm ziplog bags or whichever brand u prefer n place it in a small rectangle container lying down flat in the freezer. At the end of the day, just put the container in a cooler bag n rush home. If u are worried that it will go bad then u can also buy a few cooler packs n dump it in ur office freezer n pop it into the cooler bag when u need it.

stay07

If u need anymore help or support, u can let me know cus I'll be giving birth to my second child this sept n will most likely bf her like i did for my first.

No 3: I brought my pump to hospital. Im glad that I brought it there. I was not able to latch properly n end up being engorged. The Lactating consultant advise me to pump for 5 mins every few hrs in case its worsen.

As for pump, I used medela swing n pisa. Never tried other brands before. But I think medela is worth investing. I wanted to direct latch all the way, end up bb was hospitalised for jaundice n pump came into gd use.

msck

Hi, I maybe able to help..

1) I still think medela is best. U may buy a 2nd hand one, then just buy new tube, funnels and bottles if u r not comfortable. I got my 2nd medela at abt 200+, then I buy my own accessories too. So, I have 2 sets. One at home. One at work place.

2) u can get a big container with ur name on to store ur milk. I feel weird letting ppl see my milk n I worry abt the smell too. Haha.. so I put them inside a box, then put some ice inside to keep cold n store in the common fridge. And I use normal cooler bag to bring them home. If I know I need to buy stuff on my way home, I will put ice pack inside cooler bag.

3) hospital also provide pump... so dun need?

Lingz12

hi,

(1) im using medela freestyle.. I feel it's good.. cant compare with other brands cos I onli use this.. price is indeed ex but tink of it as an investment! e money u can save on nt buying fm.. oso double pump saves u more time than a single pump esp if u intend to pump at work in future.

(2) my pump comes with a cooler bag and ice pack.. I will leave e ice pack in the freezer wen I come into office in the morning.. after pumping, I will put the bottles into the cooler bag with the ice pack.. no smell will come out nor go in.. dun worry.. ice pack and cooler bag is a must if u are transporting ebm home after work..

(3) I brought my pump to hospital but din use cos I was encouraged to direct latch my baby and I did tat..

jia you!

patsie

Hi

For your 2nd qn.... I bought a fridge 2 go bag dat is available @ Kiddy Palace 2 store my ebm

Reason being I do have 2 attend mtgs outside of office n d bag is really convenient Plus d common fridge we have in d office.... I have noticed expired food in there n hence is skeptical about leaving my ebm in d fridge

What I do is buy extra ice pack 2 keep d temp low So far.... D bag has served me well n I have recommended d bag 2 other bf colleagues in my co

mrsred

Hi!

I user the Medela mini electric plus (double pump) for my 1st baby and now using Avent double electric pump. I love the Avent. It's so much more comfortable than the Medela because of the rubber flower petal cushion. The Medela left me with sore and bleeding nipples last time round and I'm so glad I tried Avent this time.

I'm using the previous model though and it allows me to use it like a manual pump to set the rhythm and speed I want and it follows with the click of a button. Very comfortable and convenient. Not sure if the new model works the same way cos it doesnt seem to have the blue button on the handle.

Plus, if u are using Avent bottles, u can connect it to the pump directly or use the Avent Via cups for storage, which I think is more durable and environmentally friendly than milk bags.

The Avent duckbill valves are also more durable than the thin Medela ones. If u get the Medela in the end, standy more valves as the pump wont work well if there's even a small tear.

Nathaniel Mummy

Hi Mummies! Wow I didn't realise that I got so many replies and am very thankful to all of your helpful advice! Thanks a lot!
Since there's quite a number of replies, can I just sum up my reply to all of you helpful mummies instead of individually?

Ok so for my no. 1 Q, I guess most mummies still prefer using madela. I like the suggestion by msck, buy 2nd hand pump and the accessories buy new ones. but does the cost of the new accessories sums up equivalent to the cost of buying 2nd hand pump+the new accessories? Plus, how many parts of accessories am i looking at for madela pump?

i'm also concerned when i read reviews that some pumps are noisy, as also mentioned by stay07. how noisy and what kind of noise should i anticipate?

also thanks mrsred for your recommendation on Avent double eletric. i still have those avent cup (from my 1st baby,i used Avent manual pump which didn't work for me coz i find it tiring and stressful as my baby was fussy and i had not much help around the house) and i was thinking to buy avent electric pump instead because i bought a lot of those cups.

Ok for my 2nd Q, i like lovebbdylan suggetion on buying a mini fridge but im slightly worried my boss will not agree as having another fridge will increase his monthly expense of energy consumption :-/ But I can still try, no harm asking right :)
alternatively, i could use msck suggestion; buy a big container to store in the shared fridge :)

I have another question though, most of u mummies advised that i should bring a cooler bag and ice pack for commuting back home. how long can the bm last in the cooler bag? I actually have the fridge to go bag like patsie and can i ask how long can the cool temp last without a cooler pack inside? my commuting time from work to home maximum is half hour if take bus but only 10 mins if hubby fetch. do i still need the cooler pack?

lastly for my no. 3 Q, i guess the conclusion is it is good to bring in case my baby cannot latch on or for extra boost if my supply doesnt come like what jojoai mentioned?
i have another question though, if let's say my baby can't really latch initially and i give her ebm in bottle, should i worry which kind/ brand of bottle teat to use to prevent nipple confusion? and is my question actually valid?? :err:

ok mommies i'm sorry if i didnt get to reply individually or if i missed out any of your names, but i am sincerely grateful of each of your advice! thank u very much :eek:

Kimjames

Hi,

1. I went for this brand called Ardo Calypso..which was cheaper than Medela..their after sales and service was great,, as they came to my house to teach me how to use..and their warranty is up till 2nd child which is fantastic! =)

And I was concerned about bottle usage too.. so I did some research and found these bottles called breastflow by My first Years..which were really good as it is similar to breastfeeding. You can read up on it here..Breastflow | The First Years

=) Hope it helps..

Last edited:

Nathaniel Mummy

Hi Kimjames,

Thanks for the recommendation :)
May I know where did you buy the Ardo Calypso in Singapore? I googled and saw it was in amazon UK.

Hi,

1. I went for this brand called Ardo Calypso..which was cheaper than Medela..their after sales and service was great,, as they came to my house to teach me how to use..and their warranty is up till 2nd child which is fantastic! =)

And I was concerned about bottle usage too.. so I did some research and found these bottles called breastflow by My first Years..which were really good as it is similar to breastfeeding. You can read up on it here..Breastflow | The First Years

=) Hope it helps..

Kimjames

=) I bought it at the baby fair at expo, but their main shop is BabyChuckle > Home You can check them out or you can sms/whatsapp the sales lady i bought from.. Her name is Yvonne +65 94232146. They might be at the expo for the baby exhibition this weekend. =)

Nathaniel Mummy

Thanks for the referral :) I will contact her soon to enquire. Really appreciate your recommendation as I have not seen this brand before (or oblivious abt it actually). I've read through a lot of reviews, seems like a great product.
May I know which type did u purchased?

Kimjames

=) I bought the Calypso..with the option of an additional breast pump extension..making it a dual electric pump. total cost including a little cool bag etc was $398. =) Service really is great though...cause I mentioned she came to my house to teach me how to pump and even taught me how to massage to ensure i do not get lumps in my breast etc, and she does free servicing of the machine.. =)

eldarwen

1) Most recommended electric breast pump seems to be Medela. Is there any other good alternatives which is not as expensive as Madela? Would like to hear other brand users which are satisfied with their electric breast pump that are not too ex.

I have personally tried avent's electric double pump and it only yielded me 60ml of milk max. After switching to Medela Freestyle, I can pump up to 400ml each time. I bought a second-hand one ay $350. If you are really committed to breastfeeding, better get a good pump because if not, a lousy pump will cause your supply to suffer, or even lose it totally! Get medela, you won't regret!

2) For mummies who works fulltime outside home - How do you store your breast milk at work? Do you bring a cooler bag to work?? or do you share the same fridge in the pantry with everyone else?? there's a fridge in my office area but i dont know why i feel like im going to be uncomfortable putting my ebm in that fridge! so confuse...

If you're a working mum like me, portability and weight of pump will be top priority. I think medela freestyle pump only weighs at most 400grams. Get a handsfree pumping bra (I use simple wishes), and you are good to go. Medela freestyle also comes with a cooler bag and ice pack. Upon reaching work, I will put the ice pack into the freezer, and the EBM into the fridge below. No need to be paiseh. At first I was quite paiseh but after awhile when people ask me what is it and realize it is EBM they are very understanding. Most people are quite tolerant one la. Just store it at an inconspcuous corner or behind that "chiller box" compartment if you don't want people to see it easily. And remember to store EMB at the back of the fridge, not at the door if not it will spoil easily. At the end of the day I just remove the frozen icepack and stored EBM to bring home.

If you deliever at most maternity hospitals (I delivered at mt alvernia), they have hospital-grade pumps for you to rent, so not very important to bring your own.

These are the questions(for now) that have been bugging me. Sorry for being lengthy but I sincerely hope for replies from experienced bf mummies out there. Thank you!

Nathaniel Mummy

Ok, thanks again Kimjames! you've been very helpful.. i'll certainly considering purchasing this one :)
just wondering should i buy the one you bought or the full set with the bag, additional bottles since ill be bringing it to work too.

=) I bought the Calypso..with the option of an additional breast pump extension..making it a dual electric pump. total cost including a little cool bag etc was $398. =) Service really is great though...cause I mentioned she came to my house to teach me how to pump and even taught me how to massage to ensure i do not get lumps in my breast etc, and she does free servicing of the machine.. =)