Feeding medicine to 11months plus baby

jxmummy

Hi Mummies,

I need yr help!
My 11months plus daughter is sick, brought her to PD and PD prescribed 3 kinds of medicine, namely for fever, cough and flu. But whenever I fed my daughter the medicine, she would do those kind of vomit action and refused to have the medicine, I knew this is normal so I slowly fed her the medicine. After she finished all 3 kinds of medicine, she would then mer-lioned everything out even the milk she had drank 3 hours plus ago. What should I do?

Phoebii Cheng

Same like my son, when my son was your daughter's age, at least he won't gag and vomit out, but now that he is 2 he will gag and vomit out the med plus his milk.....

Just a few weeks ago, I asked the mummies here how to feed med to my son, who had cough

There's one mummy who mentioned put some ribena in the med so tht it taste sweet....I hv not tried tht though, but I tried asking the PD to give me med that taste sweet so that at least my son won't gag out the med plus food, so far it works and of cos I feed him a little at a time, like if he suppose to take 5ml, will give him 2ml first then another 2ml then 1ml...using the syringe

Hope my experience helps you.... and now I know I am not alone haha :tlaugh:

diymummy

Do you feed food before feeding the medication? My son is also like that at times.

How long as she been vomitting? If this persists after 3 days, as in the vomitting, you should bring your daughter back to the PD.

apollo

ds also refuse to take his medi! me n my hubby use the cruel method! one will pin him down, another will open his mouth and use the syringe to shoot the medi into his mouth.

as for merlion. fewe days ago he was lik tt, tt's y we brought him to pd. he refused all the solid foods and some milk feeds, keep make the wanna-vomit-face. at 1st we tot he was just trying to act, who knows, he really merlion! 3x within 2 hrs somemore. went to pd, pd said he got throat infection n stomach flu. so lik wat DIY dearie said, if the vomiting persist for more than 3 days, bring ur girl to the same pd again =)

Phoebii Cheng

Yes I do agree that if gagging & vomitting is more than 3 days better see the PD again....

Cos' too much vomitting is no good for tummy too

jxmummy

Do you feed food before feeding the medication? My son is also like that at times.

How long as she been vomitting? If this persists after 3 days, as in the vomitting, you should bring your daughter back to the pediatrician.
no, i always fed her before food then let her rest for half an hr to ah hr before i feed her milk again. she doesn't vomit everytime when feeding her medicine, mayb 1 time per day? is that normal?

apollo

no, i always fed her before food then let her rest for half an hr to hr before i feed her milk again. she doesn't vomit everytime when feeding her medicine, mayb 1 time per day? is that normal?
babe, does the medi stated that they must be taken b4 food? if not, mayb u can try to feed her milk right aft the medi or gif her some milk 1st? cos i'm thinking izzit that her tummy was empty tt's y she will vomit?

jxmummy

babe, does the medi stated that they must be taken before food? if not, mayb you can try to feed her milk right after the medi or give her some milk 1st? cos i'm thinking izzit that her tummy was empty that's y she will vomit?
hmm, the nurse advised me to feed before food.

diymummy

no, i always fed her before food then let her rest for half an hr to hr before i feed her milk again. she doesn't vomit everytime when feeding her medicine, mayb 1 time per day? is that normal?
1 time a day is not that bad. But still, if she has been vomitting for more than 3 days and her condition is not getting better, you should bring her back to your PD...

Fever usually takes abt 5 days to 1 week to subside completely without antibiotics. But it should be less and less in intensity as days go by... So if her condition doesn't improve or her fever remains high, must bring her back to see the doc.

Usually for my son when he's sick, his appetite is really really bad and he gets really bloated. So he will vomit when we give him the med. Sometimes we will give him colic drops to help him expel the air properly instead of vomitting.

epicurean

Hi jxmummy,

Is your gal's vomitting triggered by her gag reflex which is set off by her struggling against taking her med? If she's fighting the syringe coz she finds it traumatising, Kiddy Palace sells 2 types of small med bottles which are 'gentler' ways of giving med. One is Nuby Medi-Nurser while the other is Munchkin. My boy has been on med since birth and the syringe has never worked for him ... he would cry, scream, cough, gag & vomit. He uses both types of bottles for his med (yep, he's on that many med) which I either mix in his milk or he takes the med by itself.

Good luck!