Feeding when going holiday with toddler

isabelandrew

mummies, can you share with me? im thinking of bringing my 20th mth to holiday, maybe take a plane.

she takes home cook porridge, home-made apple juice, etc.

am i going to bring my slow cooker together to our holiday ? :p

tnx

diymummy

On holiday my son just eats what we eat. eg, breakfast usually it's buffet, so he has some pancakes, scramble eggs and porridge. Lunch and dinner, depending where we are, he will have either pasta, noodle soup or fried rice or rice with dishes. He doesn't take those fried stuff. We only give him non-fried stuff.

20mth old should be able to do a fair amount of chewing so I guess outside food is ok? Unless you're unwilling to expose her to outside food, then it's best to bring your slow cooker along and/or jarred baby food.

Mummy to Baby V

I just returned from 1-week trip to Perth with 20-month old boy.
He has soy allergy and eczema, so still not quite exposed to outside food.

I brought a travel steam cooker to steam his lunch. Steamed potatoes / sweet potatoes instead of rice. Plus steamed vegetables, beans, carrots.

For dinner, he ate packed food by Rafferty's Garden, very convenient for travelling. Good texture and taste. My boy usually rejects jarred food (cos he's used to homecooked food) but accepts this brand.

Sometimes, he also ate part of our fish dishes. Or I ordered a simple dish that may suit him.

apollo

i think bringing a 20mth old for holiday is quite easy alrdy. u can bring along some toddler cereal, some bread, FM, biscuits etc etc.. and if u dont mind, other than cereal, puree and bread, u can give him some outside food from reputable restaurant?

we brought ds to KL for a short trip when he was 11+mth old. we brought along cereal, bread n FM. =)

btw i saw a type of portable electric cooker, v small one, with pot @ NTUC Xtra AMK. i forgot the price alrdy but maybe u can go and take a look if u feel lik cooking porridge for him during the trips. den maybe bring along some jarred puree. u can always get the other ingredients from the supermarkets there. =)

JazN

Hihi

packed food by Rafferty's Garden? Is this from Oz or found in S'pore? Where did u get your travel steam cooker from?

I just returned from 1-week trip to Perth with 20-month old boy.
He has soy allergy and eczema, so still not quite exposed to outside food.

I brought a travel steam cooker to steam his lunch. Steamed potatoes / sweet potatoes instead of rice. Plus steamed vegetables, beans, carrots.

For dinner, he ate packed food by Rafferty's Garden, very convenient for travelling. Good texture and taste. My boy usually rejects jarred food (cos he's used to homecooked food) but accepts this brand.

Sometimes, he also ate part of our fish dishes. Or I ordered a simple dish that may suit him.

Mummy to Baby V

Hihi

packed food by Rafferty's Garden? Is this from Oz or found in S'pore? Where did you get your travel steam cooker from?
Rafferty's Garden food can be found in KL (where we stay), lots in Australia.
Just saw another packed brand: Organic Bubs. You could probably find similar ones in major grocery stores or organic shops selling lots of baby food. Packed food is much lighter and space-saving than jarred ones. Also no risk of breaking glass jars.

If you're going to a major city, then you could always bring 2 days' food supply and get the rest there.

Our travel cooker: Petit Terraillon All-in-One Food Processor. All-in-one food processor | Baby's sleep | Childcare | Terraillon
Handed down by relative, about RM499, available in Robinsons in KL.

Last edited:

isabelandrew

Thanks mummies. D problem is i hv not started her on any 'adult' food which indeed, i am too slow in doing that. well, there is a story behind it but .. nvm.

to bring a slow cooker, i must bring her fish and chicken, or meat.....

btw where to buy raffertysgarden.com in sg?

apollo

Thanks mummies. D problem is i have not started her on any 'adult' food which indeed, i am too slow in doing that. well, there is a story behind it but .. nvm.

haha it's okay.. it's good that u haven started him with adult foods, as long as he loves those 'baby' foods, is definitely healthier to continue until he is older. haha..

hmmm bring along fish/chk/meat? but will it turn bad by the time u reach? even it doesnt turn bad, i think also not as fresh alrdy right? hw abt those jarred puree? are u okay with it? is ur baby okay with taking veg/tofu/pumpkin/mushroom such food for a few days? as in 'meatless' meals.. haha.. cos if you bring along such ingredients in those lock&lock container, i think shd be okay, at least will not turn bad so easily. if the place u going is near to supermarket, u can just bring along some veg and buy the meat/fish or even eggs over there =)

isabelandrew

tnxk apollo.

my little fellow takes organic as much as i can afford or find in the market.

i guess going on holiday, i need to sacrifice her 'home' diet..

:)

Mummy to Baby V

Thanks mummies. D problem is i have not started her on any 'adult' food which indeed, i am too slow in doing that. well, there is a story behind it but .. nvm.

It's really fine and healthy to let your girl eat simpler food until older. We're on the same track too. Depending on where you go, the customs may not allow bringing in of uncooked meat. And I agree that the risk of spoilage is high too.

For the few days, you can plan a largely vegetarian and wholesome diet too. My boy's vegetarian (who eats fish occasionally). Just ensure there's mix of whole grains (e.g. wholemeal bread, wholemeal pasta, brown rice) with some peas/beans/lentils/legumes to give compete protein. Or serve eggs, cheese, yoghurt. When you're on the trip, can order some steamed or grilled fish for her, request for less or no seasoning if possible.

snowbear

I'd bring my mini slowcooker with me and cook as MieVee suggested a largely vegetarian diet. If you have whitebait powder or ikan bilis powder, you can bring that along as well. I wouldn't recommend bringing meat/fish.

If cooking is not possible, I would bring organic jarred food (without preservatives).

tanfamily

hi, just want to share, mum and i bring along the 3 in 1 cooker for her. in between snacks, we bought sprout organic baby food for her cos she do not like other bottle/jar food on the supermarket