Feel like give up bf

luvbene

I have tried Domperidone, papaya soup, fish soup, fenugrek etc but supply doesn't seem to increase :embarrassed:
Your Baby only still young continue to take the things.. drink more soup stuffs.. When my bene was first month i think the same as you too, drink soup n wondering how come my milk did not increase n the pump out was miserable 10-20ml also.. So... do not give up... More patient... Give baby & yourself chance... continue to latch on, pump etc...... Way 2 go~~~~~:Dancing_tongue:

mummysk

Hi mummysk

Any increase in your milk supply? You mean your baby prefers to latch on now rather than to be bottle-fed? Whenever I try to latch my baby, he will cry and push himself away from me (and my breast)....and his cries are so thunderous.
Sorry for the late reply. I am working today, work OT. Haiz. Just pump once only. Pump out only a few drops.Just now, I try to bf my bb, he was very agitated. Maybe there is no bm when I bf him. In the end. I give up and feed him formula milk.. I took the fenugreek and domperidone and drink alot oat milk..

mummysk

Btw, may I know how long can I take the domperidone and fenugreek? The maximum is how much per day I can take?

luvbene

Btw, may I know how long can I take the domperidone and fenugreek? The maximum is how much per day I can take?
I m taking 1 tab 3 times a day for domperidone, as for fenugreek, m taking the dried seeds from indian shop (methi seeds), 1 teaspoon seeds boil for 10 mins i only take for 3 days. Then lessen the dosage to half n add on fennel seeds... thats for me.. The Important thing is U must latch on or pump frequently still... or even better both...:Dancing_tongue:

Delynna

Hi, my baby is 12weeks old now. I have start bf more than 2 months ago.
I have 2 electric pumps (pigeon and medela swing) and one manual pump (medela harmony). I took fenugeek, organinc nursing tea and dompridone.
But my breast milk is only 10ml when i pump from both breasts. sigh...

I feel like to give up already. Moreover I am working part time now.

What should I do? Please advise. Thks to all Mummies..
Dun give up! Take more fluid, soup & vege.

sean-tan

hi mummysk n baby tigger, i used to tnk of givin up bf too. did pump when ds was newborn to bout 1mth old. but e supply was reali nt much. like 30 to 40ml, so i felt so sad n worried tat he wld gt enough supply. den i got to noe tat, latch on is e best. bb can suck more. my son suction is powerful... haha. much beta den pump. startin of course nt too much, coz he doesnt wan to latch on, kin of prefer bottle. so i stop pumpin n gav him oli one choice----my breast. nw e supply is more. he drink more too. though i dunno whether isit enough for him. i juz latch him on demand. even is like for 5min each time. so i hv to feed him many time a day. i believe u can do it too... jia you jia you.... :tsmile:

BB Tigger

hi mummysk n baby tigger, i used to tnk of givin up bf too. did pump when dear son was newborn to bout 1mth old. but e supply was reali not much. like 30 to 40ml, so i felt so sad n worried that he wld gt enough supply. then i got to know that, latch on is e best. baby can suck more. my son suction is powerful... haha. much beta then pump. startin of course not too much, coz he doesnt want to latch on, kin of prefer bottle. so i stop pumpin n gav him oli one choice----my breast. now e supply is more. he drink more too. though i dont know whether isit enough for him. i just latch him on demand. even is like for 5min each time. so i have to feed him many time a day. i believe you can do it too... jia you jia you.... :tsmile:
If we were to latch baby on, we wont know how much baby is drinking, right ? Then how do we know if it's enough for baby or not ?

gundam00

Hi mummysk

I've been thinking about what you said (10-20ml per pumping session) and that your baby latches on. If your baby had no growing problems when you latched on previously and seems satisfied after a feed, then your milk supply is probably more than what you are pumping out.

I was hospitalized for a few days in baby's 4th week and could only pump 20ml from both sides (previously was 80ml from one side) Thought I was losing my milk and was so stressed out! My baby was rooming with me so she was latching on as well. Now, as I get experienced in pumping, I realize that it's not because I have no milk, it's because I didn't manage to achieve let-down even after 30 mins pumping. My stress got to me and I just couldn't reach the stage where the milk comes gushing out. The lactation consultant proved to me that I had milk by hand expressing and showing me some massage techniques. If this is the problem, there are many ways to achieve let-down (watch video of your baby, warm towel, massage, RELAX!!)

By the way, at the time, I asked for medication to increase my milk and they gave Domperidone. Prescribed 3 times a day, 1 each time. However, the lactation consultation said that as long as not engorged, can go for 3 times a day, 2 each time just to boost the supply. I didn't have to finish my medication before managed to feed properly again.

Sometimes my girl also gets fussy at the breast but I know I have milk (cause can still express after feed). She may just be tired, have wind, hot, etc. It's easy to lose confidence in yourself but don't give up! Can continue to latch and pump to increase supply. :)

BB Tigger

:wefrown:
Hi mummysk

I've been thinking about what you said (10-20ml per pumping session) and that your baby latches on. If your baby had no growing problems when you latched on previously and seems satisfied after a feed, then your milk supply is probably more than what you are pumping out.

I was hospitalized for a few days in baby's 4th week and could only pump 20ml from both sides (previously was 80ml from one side) Thought I was losing my milk and was so stressed out! My baby was rooming with me so she was latching on as well. Now, as I get experienced in pumping, I realize that it's not because I have no milk, it's because I didn't manage to achieve let-down even after 30 mins pumping. My stress got to me and I just couldn't reach the stage where the milk comes gushing out. The lactation consultant proved to me that I had milk by hand expressing and showing me some massage techniques. If this is the problem, there are many ways to achieve let-down (watch video of your baby, warm towel, massage, RELAX!!)

By the way, at the time, I asked for medication to increase my milk and they gave Domperidone. Prescribed 3 times a day, 1 each time. However, the lactation consultation said that as long as not engorged, can go for 3 times a day, 2 each time just to boost the supply. I didn't have to finish my medication before managed to feed properly again.

Sometimes my girl also gets fussy at the breast but I know I have milk (cause can still express after feed). She may just be tired, have wind, hot, etc. It's easy to lose confidence in yourself but dont't give up! Can continue to latch and pump to increase supply. :)
Hi gundam00

When it's time to pump (say every 3 hrs), I can see the milk flows from my breasts. Is this let-down effect? I only managed to pump 15 to 20ml even with this let-down effect :wefrown:

gundam00

Hi Tigger

For me, the foremilk will initially flow fast when I start pumping. Then it will slow down. Then, as I continue pumping and thinking about baby, I can feel the change in the breast and milk will literally come gushing out. That's the let-down I will wait to achieve.

Another way I know if I haven't pumped enough is that I can feel lumpy areas in my breast (i.e. breasts not soft when massaged). I will then stop pumping and massage towards the nipple, using circular motions. Then easier to achieve let-down when I resume.

floramay

Hi Tigger

For me, the foremilk will initially flow fast when I start pumping. Then it will slow down. Then, as I continue pumping and thinking about baby, I can feel the change in the breast and milk will literally come gushing out. That's the let-down I will wait to achieve.

Another way I know if I have not't pumped enough is that I can feel lumpy areas in my breast (i.e. breasts not soft when massaged). I will then stop pumping and massage towards the nipple, using circular motions. Then easier to achieve let-down when I resume.
Hihi,

I had no problem with expressing milk initially. The amount was ok too that I can store 80-100ml everyday. But last week I was having flu and fever, I took medicine. I didn't stop expressing but I thought I need more rest therefore I skip one pump of the day, which is 6am so that I can rest longer. I used to pump 6 times a day (3-4 hourly). However, after skipping this one time pumping for 3 days, now i find that my milk amount decreases! Usually I can pump out around 170-180 ml from both side for a 25 mins pumping. But these two days I sat for 45 mins I only can squeeze out 150-160ml. I really squeezed! And even 2 hours after the previous pump I can feel that my breasts are still soft. I am very depressed now and I am so regret that I skipped the pumping last week.

What should I do now? Issit really due to the skip? or because I took flu medication? I am now trying my very best to keep pumping for another 5 mins even when the breast is empty. But sometimes I have no time to sit there to 'train' my breast so long as I am the only one taking care of my baby.

How? Should I start taking supplement? Is there any side effect? Or should I visit lactating consultant? Anyone to recommend?

:(

Hihi,

I had no problem with expressing milk initially. The amount was ok too that I can store 80-100ml everyday. But last week I was having flu and fever, I took medicine. I didn't stop expressing but I thought I need more rest therefore I skip one pump of the day, which is 6am so that I can rest longer. I used to pump 6 times a day (3-4 hourly). However, after skipping this one time pumping for 3 days, now i find that my milk amount decreases! Usually I can pump out around 170-180 ml from both side for a 25 mins pumping. But these two days I sat for 45 mins I only can squeeze out 150-160ml. I really squeezed! And even 2 hours after the previous pump I can feel that my breasts are still soft. I am very depressed now and I am so regret that I skipped the pumping last week.

What should I do now? Issit really due to the skip? or because I took flu medication? I am now trying my very best to keep pumping for another 5 mins even when the breast is empty. But sometimes I have no time to sit there to 'train' my breast so long as I am the only one taking care of my baby.

How? Should I start taking supplement? Is there any side effect? Or should I visit lactating consultant? Anyone to recommend?

:(
I think is due to medication, don think skip one time pump can reduced supply.

Drink more water, supply should be back after that...

floramay

I think is due to medication, dont think skip one time pump can reduced supply.

Drink more water, supply should be back after that...
I have already stop the medication since ytd but milk supply still low as compared to last time. I dare not to take any medicine anymore even I am still having flu plus cough getting a bit serious. Sigh

I have already stop the medication since ytd but milk supply still low as compared to last time. I dare not to take any medicine anymore even I am still having flu plus cough getting a bit serious. Sigh
aiks.. then wait for few days and see how... in the meanwhile, drink more water, can help ur sick as well..

hmm, i didnt take medicine when flu last week after my confinement I did sick once and took medicine, but not sure supply got drop o not cox tat time no pump out milk yet.. After fever ok, I stopped to take medicine and took chinese medicine and pi2 pa2 gao1, then cough slowly recover...

cherishbebe

try power pump

pump 20min
rest 10min
pump 10min
rest 10min
pump 10min

do it 4-5 times per day, ss increase after a few days of power pump (for my case)

BB Tigger

Hi Tigger

Another way I know if I have not't pumped enough is that I can feel lumpy areas in my breast (i.e. breasts not soft when massaged). I will then stop pumping and massage towards the nipple, using circular motions. Then easier to achieve let-down when I resume.
Hi gundam00

I realised that the milk flow will stop after pumping for about 15 mins. As such, I just stop pumping thinking that there is not much supply since the amt is only about 10-20ml from both breasts per session. You mean this is only the foremilk and there is supposed to be more??!! But my breasts do not feel lumpy. I always suspect another reason could be the pump is not strong enough.

Does it help if after pumping for about 15 mins, I hand-expressed for say, another 10-15 mins?

Last edited: