fish porridge

yesterday i cooked the porridge with fish but after putting the fish inside for bout 5 mins, the water become so oily. dont know what type of fish my mil gave me. but is it ok to let baby eat the oily porridge?

autumn82

yesterday i cooked the porridge with fish but after putting the fish inside for bout 5 mins, the water become so oily. dont know what type of fish my mother in law gave me. but is it ok to let baby eat the oily porridge?
If you're worried your baby might not digest too oily food, you can steam the fish seperately and mix with porridge when done. This way, the porridge won't smell too fishy. Or even, feed fish and porridge seperately. :) Depends on your baby's preference.

Phoebii Cheng

Did your mom give ur bb black cod? If yes, then black cod naturally is oily....

But if you r worried that bb may not digest the oil properly then mayb u can buy threadfin instead?

diymummy

Ya threadfin is less oily than cod and salmon. You might want to do threadfin (ngor herh in hokkein or wu yu in mandarin or kurau in malay).

My boy is slightly allergic to oily fishes. So he has been on threadfin for a long while.

Agree with Autumn mummy to steam fish seperately then mix into porridge. That's what I've been doing and it's not so fish or oily.

jo_mum

Ya threadfin is less oily than cod and salmon. You might want to do threadfin (ngor herh in hokkein or wu yu in mandarin or kurau in malay).

My boy is slightly allergic to oily fishes. So he has been on threadfin for a long while.

Agree with Autumn mummy to steam fish seperately then mix into porridge. That's what I've been doing and it's not so fish or oily.
I also steam the fish separately but I added a few slices of ginger and sesame oil to steam it to get rid of fishy smell. My boy also very fussy eater, if the fish got smell he will reject.

ya..guess it's black cod cos the skin is black color..haha

last time i did steam separately with different type of fish (i dont know what) but he also dont like.. how?

esthergal

Hi diymummy,

Other than the threadfin, any other ingredient we need to add into the porridge to make it tastier? can add soy sauce, etc?

That day i cooked ikan bilis porridge for my boy, he gave me that vomitting look again, i quickly stop or else he'll throw up again, i must be a very lousy cook :shyxxx:

Ting

hmmmm no need to add soy sauce.
u can add, minced chicken or pork for flavour.
n also add veges like carrot, potato, sweet potato, spinach.
if not u can make stock n use it to cook the porridge.

autumn82

Hi diymummy,

Other than the threadfin, any other ingredient we need to add into the porridge to make it tastier? can add soy sauce, etc?

That day i cooked ikan bilis porridge for my boy, he gave me that vomitting look again, i quickly stop or else he'll throw up again, i must be a very lousy cook :shyxxx:
Sorry, not diymummy here. :p

How old is your child? You can use stocks to cook the porridge to make it tastier. Veg stocks (corn, carrots, onions boiled together), meat stock (pork/chicken w carrots & dried mushrooms boil together). Usually, I'll put some wolfberries and red dates for the meat stock. :001_302::001_302::001_302:

diymummy

Sorry, not diymummy here. :p

How old is your child? You can use stocks to cook the porridge to make it tastier. Veg stocks (corn, carrots, onions boiled together), meat stock (pork/chicken w carrots & dried mushrooms boil together). Usually, I'll put some wolfberries and red dates for the meat stock. :001_302::001_302::001_302:
LOL!!

No I also didn't add soy sauce. I'm trying to delay the introduction of salt till age 2.

Usually I add more sweet tasting veges into the porridge like pumpkin or carrots. I also add either shredded or pureed green vege coz I want my boy to enjoy eating veges.

If your kid is below age of 1, best to delay the introduction of corn as it is a potential allergen.

I don't use stock and haven't tried adding wolfberries. But wolfberries (go ji) are sweet so it might be a good idea to add that to your porridge. Not to mention that it is rumored to improve eyesight. :)

esthergal

Thanks all for your replies ;)

My baby now is slightly more than 6 months. Do i need to follow the rule that says introduce one type of food at a time and monitor for 4 days? so that means i need to cook the same type of porridge for him for 4 days? so can only add one type of meat/vege/other ingredient to the porridge at one time?

Oh... sorry if i asked stupid questions, pai seh...

Ting

yeah i think usually tts how it goes.
but for me, i nvr follow the 4 days rule. mainly bcos i dun hv allergies in my family history n myself, so i nvr follow.
but hard to say, sometimes they kid might hv, so yeah.
its up to u though, to play it safe, most ppl would. :)

woofy55

hmmm... eating the same thing everyday.. meaning... can only cook corn stock, carrot stock, port stock, chicken stock... separately for 4 consecutive days each... then 5th day maybe corn+carrot stock.. for another 4days... etc...?

meiteoh

No no...it means corn stock for four days, then carrot stock for another four days and so forth.

What I would do - following your example - is corn stock for four days, then carrot + corn stock for another four days and then carrot + corn + chicken for four days. That way, if baby has an allergy, I know it's not from foods that I have introed already. Plus it helps keep the "boredom" away.

hi mummies

my son refused to eat fish porridge that i cook for him..hmmm any tips to get rid of the fishy smell?

thx!!
remove the fish skin and fish bones when cooking fish porridge. fish skin will make porridge real fishy. i add carrots to remove the fishy taste as carrot itself is sweet. my bbsitter used marmite with fish porridge and also add in vege like brocoli, clauiflower. but that is provided ur baby is not allergy to all these.

camom

Hi diymummy,

Actually bb don't know what is bland. To us, the food is bland cos we are used to seasonings but to bb, everything is new. Their tastebuds are not "spoilt" by our adult foods yet.