Food Can Or Canot Eat For Bf

meiteoh

To add to snowbear's comments regarding fish, one should take fish that is high in fatty oils like salmon, tuna and sardine. Those are very good for babies. :)

missblue18

Yeap, should avoid caffeine, alcohol and peanuts. But I had quite a bit of ginger in the beginning and baby was jaundiced. But doc said no effect on baby. Anyway, even after I stopped taking ginger, he was still jaundiced. In fact breastfed babies stay jaundiced longer - ironically because of the breastmilk which is otherwise so nutritous and yummy for them. My baby only finally was cleared of jaundiced after two and a half months. Sigh.

Oatmeal is supposed to be good for BF moms too - increases milk supply. Not sure if it worked for me but I sure enjoyed eating it. And also fish with green papaya soup (I used threadfin). Should avoid those high in mercury like tuna and shark (weird to eat with green papaya too...)

Drink lots of milk yourself and you can definitely afford to eat an egg a day. Lload up on protein, calcium and Vit D rich foods. You need these to make milk! And stay very well hydrated.

dont't take overnight food - lots of nutrients lost already.
overnight food - thats the prob my mil can only cook in large quantities so everyday for lunch we'll eat leftovers from the day b4....i feel its not good for health but no choice she cant change her ways and i cant eat out everyday for lunch!

lonerjas

is it scientific proven eat ginger will make jaudice worst?? Just wondering

i hate ginger anyway don take at ALL. Liver oso BIG NONO.. I only take milo while i BF..
i saw brocoli cause gas?? But i tot brocoli is anti oxident is gd. In fact hosp confinement food got brocoli. But not cabbage, cos is "liang" ( cooling )

MommyEtrini

is it scientific proven eat ginger will make jaudice worst?? Just wondering

i hate ginger anyway dont take at ALL. Liver also BIG NONO.. I only take milo while i BF..
i saw brocoli cause gas?? But i thought brocoli is anti oxident is good. In fact hospital confinement food got brocoli. But not cabbage, cos is "liang" ( cooling )
not sure , but after knowing ginger might cause more jaundice i stop eating ginger from she have jaundice . and her jaundice went down . 3weeks like that clear off liao

Goldiemum

I do agree everything should eat in moderation.

Anyone actually tasted your own breast milk before? Does it really taste different depending on what food we eat? I licked off the breast milk off my hand and it tasted sour. Formula also tasted slightly sour but I was told it is sweeter than breast milk. :tlaugh:

snowbear

I do agree everything should eat in moderation.

Anyone actually tasted your own breast milk before? Does it really taste different depending on what food we eat? I licked off the breast milk off my hand and it tasted sour. Formula also tasted slightly sour but I was told it is sweeter than breast milk. :tlaugh:
Yeah, i tasted my bm before. So did my hubby. Actually it's very sweet and I think it's sweeter than fm. But I find it gross. hehe...

rainypink

Cannot eat liver??
No alcohol??
Any mummies here ate those above and less milk?

Because Usually CL or MIL will cook lots of liver and alcohol soups like rice wine, or we drink DOM or ginger wine...

if not much liver and alcohol, then confinement food eat what????!!

I tot brocolli is good cuz vitamins!!

ginger o help us get rid of winds ..

diymummy

hi rainypink, i think if you wanna eat, it is ok.. but everything in moderation bah... ginger can sometimes worsen jaundice if your baby has it and you're breastfeeding. alcohol can be harmful if it gets into baby's system coz their liver is not developed enough to digest it. cooking the rice wine or DOM in food is ok because the alcohol content will evaporate. :)

snowbear

Cannot eat liver??
No alcohol??
Any mummies here ate those above and less milk?

Because Usually CL or mother in law will cook lots of liver and alcohol soups like rice wine, or we drink DOM or ginger wine...

if not much liver and alcohol, then confinement food eat what????!!

I thought brocolli is good cuz vitamins!!

ginger o help us get rid of winds ..
Some liver is ok i guess. I ate liver also but I had loads of milk.

I didn't take any alcohol at all, whether it was cooked or not, coz I was paranoid that it might get to bb and bb's liver is not developed enuff to handle it.

Ginger may worsen jaundice in some cases but if consumed in small amts it is ok.

Confinement food doesn't mean you have to overdose on alcohol and ginger or liver. Rem that too much of a good thing is not good either.

Broccoli may cause painful gas in some bb's tummy. You just have to try eating and see if your bb reacts badly to it.

snowbear

Can't eat broccoli , eggs , soy? But my confinement lady said it's good for me?
As I have mentioned, the LC told me that broccoli may cause painful gas in some baby's tummy. You just have to try eating and see if your baby reacts badly to it.

For eggs and soy, most babies are ok with it. At least it wasn't a problem for me. :)

meiteoh

I'd suggest eating small quantities and look at how your baby reacts. Some babies have stomachs made of steel while others are just more sensitive.

-jOanna

I was also paranoid whether to take alcohol or not but my in-law side gave me so much say gd for me.. and elderly will keep say "last time we also like that all babies also grow big n strong what.."