For csect moms, when did you first latch your baby successfully?

Frenchkitty

my first successful latch was Day 2 cos Day 1 was too overwhelming with visitors etc so I also tired to try hhahaa
I was under GA

yukimaxx

Hi Tika, my baby is born at Thomson medical on 2July. I had a similar experience as you as well. My baby was brought in about 4hrs later. The explanation was, they need to put the baby in a warmer environment. I had c-sect with epidural. Immediately when my baby was delivered, they cleaned her briefly and carried to me. I didn't latch on at that time. I was bed ridden for whole day, however, the nurse asked if I want to BF. If not, can they feed my baby formula milk. I agreed as I was too tired plus still shivering a bit after the op. I decided to BF the next day. My baby has no problem latching on during 2nd day. Even if baby does not have the chance to latch on immediately after birth does not necessarily means they will not latch on later.

So don't worry so much!

tika

Hi Tika, my baby is born at Thomson medical on 2July. I had a similar experience as you as well. My baby was brought in about 4hrs later. The explanation was, they need to put the baby in a warmer environment. I had c-sect with epidural. Immediately when my baby was delivered, they cleaned her briefly and carried to me. I didn't latch on at that time. I was bed ridden for whole day, however, the nurse asked if I want to BF. If not, can they feed my baby formula milk. I agreed as I was too tired plus still shivering a bit after the op. I decided to BF the next day. My baby has no problem latching on during 2nd day. Even if baby does not have the chance to latch on immediately after birth does not necessarily means they will not latch on later.

So dont't worry so much!

Thanks Yukimaxx. :)
Did you have milk immediately when baby latch on?

tika

my first successful latch was Day 2 cos Day 1 was too overwhelming with visitors etc so I also tired to try hhahaa
I was under GA
Did the nurse ask you for permission before feeding Fm or on day 1 your baby didn't take in any fm or bf milk?

snowbear

I only latched bb at 7am (when the lactation consultant came to open my milk ducts) after delivering at 6.30pm the day before. I had a super duper long delivery which in the end ended up as emergency c-sect. I felt so tired and suffered from nausea and was shivering (which i believe are the aftereffects of epidural) after my c-sect.

There was actually a misunderstanding in the operating theatre which resulted in my latching bb so late. Someone told me that i couldn't bf till the next day due to some drugs that i had taken for the operation. When my gynae asked me if i had bf my dd when she came to chk on me the next day i told her what i was told in the operating theatre and she was extremely angry and it became a very big issue after that. Had many nurses of different levels coming in to ask me to tell them more about what happened etc. and i even received a call after i was discharged, still asking about the same matter. My gynae's the head gynae and does not tolerate the slightest incompetence... :D

snowbear

Hi snowbear,

Thanks for sharing! Which hospi did you deliver?
KKH. I was induced for 3 days so i stayed at hospital for almost a week! I enjoyed my stay there, the nurses who took care of me at the ward were all very nice and helpful... :)