For csect moms, when did you first latch your baby successfully?

tika

When's the earliest we should feed our baby?
Depends on whether you had GA or . In my case, I had the and so she was put to my breast about less than one hour after I was wheeled out of the OT. She was wide alert then and suckled on my breast for around 10 minutes of so.

Does the nurses usually take a long time to clean the baby?
They shouldn't take too long, especially if they are not washing off the vernix but just wiping away the blood and residue.

I asked for my baby to be put to my breast immediately and even though it was a c-sec, she was given to me the moment they took her out of my womb in the OT for a smooch and eye contact (for about five minutes) and then again afterwards (as above).

Has anyone successfully breastfed their babies on the day of their csect?
Yes. My baby was feeding at my breast every two hours.

If yes, how many hours after your csect was that?
I feed her while I was in the recovery area, then again when I was wheeled into the maternity ward (2 hours later) and subsequently every two hours. I wasn't allowed to leave the bed so I asked for her to be placed on my chest instead of the bassinet to allow me to breastfeed her without having to buzz for help all the time.

If your hospital isn't pro-BF, it may be harder to enforce them. I would suggest rooming-in as that would help tremendously with breastfeeding and lessen the chance of nurses sabotaging you by feeding with the bottle (here, if they must feed with bottle, they will insist that you feed from the breast first and then put on the bottle to avoid nipple confusion) and FM.

Ok...again I must ask you experienced mommies......you were not struggling to stay awake at all? Cos seriously, I couldn't!!!! This is starting to seem odd to me. And you were able to feed every 2 hours? Wow.

Also, which bf position did you adopt when you csect was still fresh?

tika

Hi Tika, I had c-sect on 26 May this year. I delivered at 8 plus pm & the nurses dont allow me to breastfeed my baby until d 3rd day as I'm still shaking on 2nd day due to d epidural. They are afraid if I might drop my baby. On dat 3rd day, I gt no prod in latchin my son. Till now, he gt no prob in switchin btw breast & fm.

Which hospital did you deliver? I was shaking uncontrollably too. What was worse...i was ITCHING all over AND...i had an allergic reaction to the painkiller they gave me. My eyes puffed up like goldfish by night time.

Sigh.

meiteoh

Tika, I was actually wide awake - maybe coz of the excitement and all (my ILs all took pics of me when I just got out of the OT and some of my friends remarked that I still look good for someone who just went for surgery). Of course the first two nights was tough coz I didn't get enough sleep on the day of the birth itself and then on the 2nd night, my baby was feeding every two hours but after a while, I got used to it.

Urm, I adopted the cradle hold even though it's not exactly recommended for those with c-sec. Been using it ever since and so far, no issues with the scar. In fact, the midwives and docs who have examined my scar say that it looks absolutely lovely. I was also not taking any painkillers for the scar after the 3rd day.

pinkytham

hey babe me same as u after the epidural, was shivering non stop......my hubby took lots of jacket cover me..than i told him i nt cold but jus shiver dunno why till very jialat leh..
after gif birth in ward still shiver hahaha

mine was emergency c sect.
but they injected some stuff to me than very groggy
nurse pushed baby to me within one hour after birth than ask me whether i drowsy if so cant breast feed becus scare we drop baby. as i was drowsy, i told the nurse and she than asked me whether to feed formula as princess was hungry. i sae ok and we than proceeded to choose the brand of formula to be given to baby.
about 3hrs later nurse came visiting than i asked to breast feed baby wan try andshe pushed to me =D

princess latched on immediately after trying and guiding by the nurse =D but i think got occassional back pain till nw maybe the epidural side effects

Hi Tika

Mine was similar to candy_ian. I was on epidural for the c-section. Baby was brought to me within 2 hours. That was in the middle of the night. It took a bit of practice but by the time I was discharged, baby was feeding quite well.

You might want to consider going on epidural instead of GA if you're doing another c-section. So that has to be arranged earlier in your birthplan. There are some slight side effects though (depending on individual). For me, I was shivering towards the end of the delivery. But I still managed to see baby as soon as he was out. Some ladies I know had no problems with epidural.

candy_ian

if u are going for c-section by epidural just make sure u have enough rest b4 delivery day n should have no prob staying awake for short intervals to breastfeed. But long term side effects would be backache n headache for small built ppl. Do remember to let the nurses know u r doing total breastfeeding on admission. Request for the lactation consultant if they're still available after ur op when bb ready to feed.

uddermummy

somehow i managed to be awake after 3 hours, even tho they'd knocked me out with GA and epidural. I guess the c-section was too traumatic! :p

also try to make an appointment with the lact consultants to see you when you first try to latch, if possible.

tika

Tika, I was actually wide awake - maybe coz of the excitement and all (my ILs all took pics of me when I just got out of the OT and some of my friends remarked that I still look good for someone who just went for surgery).
Lucky you! My close friends who came by abt 2 hours after I was back at my ward took photos of me. I looked like SHITTT. Not glowing at all. They said I looked as though someone knoocked me out with a baseball bat. And they posted it on FACEBOOK somemore, damn a-holes lahh they all.

I think for this second time round, i shall put on make up before they wheel me into the op theatre. LOL.

tika

hey babe me same as you after the epidural, was shivering non stop......my hubby took lots of jacket cover me..than i told him i not cold but just shiver dont know why till very jialat ..
after give birth in ward still shiver hahaha
SAME! I was shivering very badly but was perspiring like I had just completed a marathon. It was weird. Hubby said I kept waking up and mumbling I'm hot and i'm hot when the room aircon was 16 deg and all my visitors were cold. But after the nurses gave me some pills to get rid of the itch, I felt better by the second day.

tika

Hmmm...Was talking to hubby about this latching on issue....He said maybe most of mommies could latch on quite easily because they don't have inverted nipples?

Anyone with inverted nipples but could latch baby on afew hours after csect?

uddermummy

i have flat nipples, but bb's sucking was quite strong, so most of the times she could latch on unless the breasts were like super engorged.

maybe you can try the nipple puller? I went to a BMSG talk and the speaker had inverted nipples and she breastfed all her kids.

btw, i never did glow at all; not before, not during and definitely not after the pregnancy. :p

apollo

Hmmm...Was talking to hubby about this latching on issue....He said maybe most of mommies could latch on quite easily because they dont't have inverted nipples?

Anyone with inverted nipples but could latch baby on afew hours after csect?
that's y i only able to successfully latch on ds on the 2nd or 3rd day... during the 1st day, nurses did brought ds to me for bf-ing but not immediately aft c-sect... i didn't shiver, i was very awake that time but when i sat up, i'll feel giddy...

uddermummy

actually, you don't have to worry about whether or not the bb is taking in enuf milk in the first few days because bbs have an energy store that can last them a few days while our milk comes in. Also, bbs stomachs are really small, prob the size of a marble when they are first born, so they don't need that much milk!

they prob won't pee a lot, so there's no need to panick when the nurses tell you that bb is not peeing. (I was ignorant and actually let them scare me into giving my dd glucose water)

meiteoh

actually, you dont't have to worry about whether or not the baby is taking in enuf milk in the first few days because bbs have an energy store that can last them a few days while our milk comes in. Also, bbs stomachs are really small, prob the size of a marble when they are first born, so they dont't need that much milk!

they prob won't pee a lot, so there's no need to panick when the nurses tell you that baby is not peeing. (I was ignorant and actually let them scare me into giving my dear daughter glucose water)
*agree*

All babies will lose about 10% of their birth weight in the first few days - this is due to several factors. Meconium (baby's first poo) is super heavy, sticky and thick. And then there are things like water retention and all. Plus colostrum from Mum is all that baby needs at this point.

As for poop and pee, if you've started breastfeeding her, she should poop and pee within 24 hours from the time she starts to suckle. In fact, my little one did all her business like a day after she was born.

Glucose water is only necessary if your colostrum isn't coming despite you feeding often (happened to the lady I was roomed in with) and your baby is losing a lot of weight.

MizfitMumma

Which hospital did you deliver? I was shaking uncontrollably too. What was worse...i was ITCHING all over AND...i had an allergic reaction to the painkiller they gave me. My eyes puffed up like goldfish by night time.

Sigh.[/quot

Itch?? I dun have the itch but wuz shakin uncontrollably & felt drowsy. I delivered in TMC.

uddermummy

Any of you ladies had a birth plan given to your gynae or ward nurse?
Have you talked about it with your gynae? I think it's impt to discuss with your gynae first, cos the nurses will still listen to your gynae and not you.

My gynae slammed my birth plan and scolded me left right and centre!

tika

My gynae slammed my birth plan and scolded me left right and centre!

wah...how come your gynae so fierce one. I thought birthplans are meant to be helpful (where its relevant i mean)? Did you follow a template from a website or you created your own plan?

uddermummy

wah...how come your gynae so fierce one. I thought birthplans are meant to be helpful (where its relevant i mean)? Did you follow a template from a website or you created your own plan?
i followed roughly the one from the pregnancy books. But i didn't really get to show it off to my gynae because she was totally against birth plans!!! :(