Forbidden food during pregnancy

Yingver07

I only avoided cockles, soft boiled eggs, sharks fin, deli meats like ham etc during my pregnancy. I'm not into spicy food so didn't crave for curry. I ate salmon sashimi too but do be careful, restaurant-grade sashimi is definitely fresher than those selling from takeaway counters. Initially I refrain from eating sashimi too but i had a strong craving for it in my 3rd trimester. Several of my preggy friends also ate sashimi n their gynea say it's ok to eat in moderation as long as it is fresh (from reputable restaurants).

I couldn't eat pork during my pregnancy. Made me wanna puke.
Hi, deli meats refer to ham only? or even luncheon meat?

Evita

During my pregnancy I eat banana 2 pieces daily and even a lot of papaya. nI didnt know that during pregnancy cannot eat those fruits..

mei2009

Hi, deli meats refer to ham only? or even luncheon meat?
Deli meat means those you see at manned counters at supermarkets. My hubby did some work on food safety before and he said best not to eat those! Unless as marshmallows says, you reheat thoroughly at home. Basically cold meat isn't good cos bacteria may ave gathered on it so even if you buy packed ham, just heat up in sandwich maker or something. Luncheon meat is always steamed or fried so should be fine; I wouldn't eat it out of the can!

Hmm... Dou Hua is nice.. think we can take almost everything but in moderations, except the banana quoted by Dilys. :)

Now I'm so looking forward to the confinement food cooked by my mil.. even the thought of the food, makes me drool.. hee hee.. :p

Dilys

Wifey is not even eating much at all, utterly concern of her health and baby's....

As for forbidden food, heard there's a lot in the grapevine....
Hi...

Some pregg woman don't eat really much.. As long as baby is gaining weight then u shouldn't be worrying so much!
How many week ur wife right now ??

Jenni

Wifey is not even eating much at all, utterly concern of her health and baby's....

As for forbidden food, heard there's a lot in the grapevine....
Ur wife may not eat much as we pregnant will feel very bloated, some will eat little but more meals...

Last edited:

Jenni

Hmm... Dou Hua is nice.. think we can take almost everything but in moderations, except the banana quoted by Dilys. :)

Now I'm so looking forward to the confinement food cooked by my mil.. even the thought of the food, makes me drool.. hee hee.. :p
Me Too, I like to drink herbal soup alot but now can't drink as what my mum told me, waiting for 4 mths then can drink herbal soup... The Confinement food it alot too...

carolinaw

they say baby will turn yellow. hard to discharge. i find it very funny.
now hubby dont let me eat curry):
Baby will turn yellow if you eat curry during pregnancy? haha...Funny. I think it's rumour. For example, vegetables are full of nutrition but they are green, so the mom who likes vegetables will have a green baby. Oh... Green Lantern.
Hunny, eat what you under the advice from your doctor or midwife.

Alisa

Baby will turn yellow if you eat curry during pregnancy? haha...Funny. I think it's rumour. For example, vegetables are full of nutrition but they are green, so the mom who likes vegetables will have a green baby. Oh... Green Lantern.
Hunny, eat what you under the advice from your doctor or midwife.
if baby will turn yellow, then what about Indian's family? they almost have curry everyday wan. so i don believe this.

STmummy

Why cannot take bananas (the del
Monte type)? I took it for both pregnancies and I LOVE them! My babies are both healthy.

Like most mummies here say, eat everything in moderation.
just avoid all Raw food (sashimi, half boiled egg, cockles etc) and fish that are high in mercury (shark, stingray), cold cuts and certain cheese due to bacteria. Google for the food that should avoid during pregnancy cos of scientific reasons not old wives tales.

I still take chilli and curry cos always crave for it.
Only thing gynae said is don't take too much as it's the mother who will be uncomfy (heartburn or tummyache). Different pregnancy has different cravings, eat whatever you like but also try to eat healthily too.

carolinaw

if baby will turn yellow, then what about Indian's family? they almost have curry everyday want. so i dont believe this.
Hmmm..I feel the same as you. what I think is that the baby won't be affect by any food color, or the world will be colored by babies.:we2biglaugh:

MamabbJ

Hmmm..I feel the same as you. what I think is that the baby won't be affect by any food color, or the world will be colored by babies.:we2biglaugh:
That's a funny and a good one, Carolinaw! Yes, u r right....
I like the emoticon you put.... haaa...haaa....

MamabbJ

Yes, eating in moderation is a good point made.
Watch your calories during pregnancy so that you won't put on excessive and unnecessary weight for you or your baby. Eating for two is definitely a "no-no" and a myth!

But do be very careful and vigilant about the medication or any drugs that you take especially during the first semester when the baby is newly developing. My advice is to do your own reading and research (ask for second and third opinions) even if the doctor says it is ok to take a particular drug. Some newer clinical findings on drugs may have proven that they are not safe for pregnancy and babies.

Why cannot take bananas (the del
Monte type)? I took it for both pregnancies and I LOVE them! My babies are both healthy.

Like most mummies here say, eat everything in moderation.
just avoid all Raw food (sashimi, half boiled egg, cockles etc) and fish that are high in mercury (shark, stingray), cold cuts and certain cheese due to bacteria. Google for the food that should avoid during pregnancy cos of scientific reasons not old wives tales.

I still take chilli and curry cos always crave for it.
Only thing gynae said is don't take too much as it's the mother who will be uncomfy (heartburn or tummyache). Different pregnancy has different cravings, eat whatever you like but also try to eat healthily too.

mamaphua

Yes, eating in moderation is a good point made.
Watch your calories during pregnancy so that you won't put on excessive and unnecessary weight for you or your baby. Eating for two is definitely a "no-no" and a myth!

But do be very careful and vigilant about the medication or any drugs that you take especially during the first semester when the baby is newly developing. My advice is to do your own reading and research (ask for second and third opinions) even if the doctor says it is ok to take a particular drug. Some newer clinical findings on drugs may have proven that they are not safe for pregnancy and babies.
ohyes! and i heard some non-diabetic people may have high sugar level due to pregnancy too!
so i think, most importantly is to eat healthy :)