Frozen EBM smell like vomit!!!

sharonyi66

My frozen EBM smell like vomit!!

I thawed the milk which dated 04/01/10 in the fridge this morning and when evening time I wanna make warm for Inez, i realized the milk is so smelly! I took another pack and smell while it's still frozen, same!!

Wat happened to my B-milk?? After I expressed, I poured straight into the storage bag and put into the freezer, I even max the degree... I nv put them at the freezer door either.

Any1 got the same prob as me? I'm using blue egg storage bag. I got 40 over packs of B-milk..... So heart pain... :(

STmummy

When I just started to BF my baby with the EBM, I also tot it smell wierd.. but not vomit smell eh...

I did taste the milk to make sure that it's not spoilt. Cos maybe we are not used to the smell... you may like to taste it to make sure.

40 packs are ALOT to throw away and seriously heartpain lor... Btw, you really have alot of milk to supply your baby. I can only just meet his demand. :tlaugh:

CanCanMum

HUHHH how come lehhhh???? i nebber purposely smell EBM before but when i thawed it its no smell 1 lehhhh

are the bags sterilized?????? when u store the EBM was it close to frozen meat etc??? Is it airtight???? Might have been contaminated someway somehow~~~

i used pigeon milk storage bags, oredi sterilized beforehand......nebber had problems with this lehhhhh

Last edited:

sharonyi66

I dun dare to drink milk so I made my hb taste it and he said it tastes funny so play safe I better threw it away..

I had very heavy supply before I go back work on Dec so I make use of that time to stock up juz in case my supply drop after back to work...

Now that I've skip night feeding, it's very natural that my supply also drop already so day time I need the frozen EBM to feed her when I'm at work as I only manage to express 2 feeds of 'freshly' squeezed B-milk for her to drink in day time...

But now, seems like most (if not all) of the frozen B-milk cannot be drink!!!! Cry also no tears ar~~~~~~~~

sharonyi66

HUHHH how come lehhhh???? i nebber purposely smell EBM before but when i thawed it its no smell 1 lehhhh

are the bags sterilized?????? when you store the EBM was it close to frozen meat etc??? Is it airtight???? Might have been contaminated someway somehow~~~

i used pigeon milk storage bags, oredi sterilized beforehand......nebber had problems with this lehhhhh
CCM... I oso dunno y I go and smell it leh, just 6th sense ask me to smell.,. I'm using blue egg storage bag, ald pre sterilized. I put into a Tupperware b4 putting it into e freezer de...

So sad!!!!!! My B-milk~~~

我挤到很辛苦的啊!!

cocraze

CCM... I also dont know y I go and smell it , just 6th sense ask me to smell.,. I'm using blue egg storage bag, ald pre sterilized. I put into a Tupperware before putting it into e freezer ...

So sad!!!!!! My B-milk~~~

我挤到很辛苦的啊!!
Hi sharonyi66,
maybe not every bag like that? Check with someone else at home, see if they also feel the B-milk smells and tastes funny?? Im guessing that sometimes maybe the hormones post-pregnancy cause our senses to go haywire (my tastebuds were quite weird during confinement)

For my precious few bags of B-milk, I only started keeping them in ziplock bag halfway thru. When I defrosted and fed my girl last week, first bag I thought smelt fishy but I didnt taste it myself. My girl was okay with it. Somehow, though, the second bag I defrosted and fed her apparently gave her stomach wind (My FIL was convinced the freezing process introduces 'wind' into the milk and makes her colicky) Hubby asked me stop giving my frozen EBM first, so heart pain cos I just stopped expressing due to circumstances, so I really wanted to give girl the EBM earlier expressed in late Jan.

My point is that actually if you taste and find that it hasn't turned sour or anything, and your child DOESN'T reject it, maybe you may want to consider still feeding and using your 40 bags?

My sister has been giving her girl 100% EBM for the past 7 months. She says its normal if it tastes 'metallic'. What she does if her girl rejects it is that she mix the frozen EBM with fresher supplies to mask the smell. HTHs

camom

When was the milk expressed? If your milk was transitioning at that time, then it will have a funny taste.

I've also been told that if you freeze the milk directly, the smell is different from those that were cooled down in fridge before freezing. Also, frozen bm does smell different from freshly expressed bm or refrigerated ebm. And the smell gets stronger the longer you store it.

sharonyi66

Hi sharonyi66,
maybe not every bag like that? Check with someone else at home, see if they also feel the B-milk smells and tastes funny?? Im guessing that sometimes maybe the hormones post-pregnancy cause our senses to go haywire (my tastebuds were quite weird during confinement)

For my precious few bags of B-milk, I only started keeping them in ziplock bag halfway thru. When I defrosted and fed my girl last week, first bag I thought smelt fishy but I didnt taste it myself. My girl was okay with it. Somehow, though, the second bag I defrosted and fed her apparently gave her stomach wind (My father in law was convinced the freezing process introduces 'wind' into the milk and makes her colicky) Hubby asked me stop giving my frozen EBM first, so heart pain cos I just stopped expressing due to circumstances, so I really wanted to give girl the EBM earlier expressed in late Jan.

My point is that actually if you taste and find that it hasn't turned sour or anything, and your child DOESN'T reject it, maybe you may want to consider still feeding and using your 40 bags?

My sister has been giving her girl 100% EBM for the past 7 months. She says its normal if it tastes 'metallic'. What she does if her girl rejects it is that she mix the frozen EBM with fresher supplies to mask the smell. HTHs
I made my hb tastes it and he says it's sour.... So i just throw away. I've yet to check other bags for frozen EBM, hope will be ok ar!!

sharonyi66

When was the milk expressed? If your milk was transitioning at that time, then it will have a funny taste.

I've also been told that if you freeze the milk directly, the smell is different from those that were cooled down in fridge before freezing. Also, frozen breast milk does smell different from freshly expressed breast milk or refrigerated ebm. And the smell gets stronger the longer you store it.
Those milk that I smell and hb tasted is the earliest date.. I freeze it directly after expressing. Those smell is really very smelly, as if people vomitted, basically cannot accept it. But the funny thing is, the EMB never change it's colour... It's still like freshly expressed milky white, not like those yellowish colour after been freezed..

CanCanMum

why dunn u warm it up directly after u take out from freezer and not thaw in the fridge section? U try one pack and see if its smelly?

if i m not wrong i think BM can only be keep in freezer for max 3 months....really canx rem coz i dunn have so much stock for baber last time hahah~~~~

sharonyi66

why dunn you warm it up directly after you take out from freezer and not thaw in the fridge section? you try one pack and see if its smelly?

if i m not wrong i think breast milk can only be keep in freezer for max 3 months....really canx rem coz i dunn have so much stock for baber last time hahah~~~~
I tried this way also......... :embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed:

nellu

Hi
I seldom come in here but since I saw this I thought I would share some info.

Below is a link on kellymom.com about this particular topic.

kellymom.com :: My expressed breastmilk doesn't smell fresh. What can I do?

hope after reading this you will have a better idea abt why the EBM is like this.

one way to treat it (if you have time) is to scald the milk before freezing it. It is said to help to reduce the breaking down of the fat by the lipase in our BM.

HTHs.

sharonk

My frozen EBM smell like vomit!!

I thawed the milk which dated 04/01/10 in the fridge this morning and when evening time I wanna make warm for Inez, i realized the milk is so smelly! I took another pack and smell while it's still frozen, same!!

what happened to my B-milk?? After I expressed, I poured straight into the storage bag and put into the freezer, I even max the degree... I never put them at the freezer door either.

Any1 got the same prob as me? I'm using blue egg storage bag. I got 40 over packs of B-milk..... So heart pain... :(

Huh? i ziplock it and put at the freezer door. What would eventually happen to the bm that froze n kept in the freezer door there?

camom

Huh? i ziplock it and put at the freezer door. What would eventually happen to the breast milk that froze n kept in the freezer door there?
Can't store long there cos the differential temp is high since the door is opened frequently.