GA C-Sect @TMC

apollo

u wanna know in which area?? i mean the bill or?? cos the skill is depends on ur gynae, not the hospital itself i think =)

you wanna know in which area?? i mean the bill or?? cos the skill is depends on your gynae, not the hospital itself i think =)
hihi regina, would like to find out more in terms of the pre-op procedure and post-op details.. and is it v painful after that?

thinking of going for ga c-sect coz i have a v low threshold of pain...thus would like to hear the mummies experiences... :)

diymummy

I did GA C-sect but it was at GlenE. I can share with you my experience of C-sect.

The delivery was fast for sure. Baby was out in half hr. But after the procedure, I had to be in bed for a day. It was painful to move due to the wound. The wound continued to be painful for up to 2-3 weeks. So feeding my baby was a challenge as carrying him would put stress on the wound. Coughing and sneezing was also painful. Coz C-sect is like a big cut on your tummy.

For natural birth, most of my friends were up and walking abt 2 days of rest in bed. Those who took epidural hardly felt pain during the delivery process.

You might want to reconsider if you still wanna go for c-sect. c-sect the pain comes after, not during or before.

apollo

i took GA c-sect at TMC too. My gynae is Dr LN Sim.

the 1st day i was on drip and didnt came down the bed at all. i was 'suppose' to be drowsy tt whole day cos of the GA effect.. but dunno y, right aft i was pushed to my ward, i was very clear alrdy.. the nurses there all asked me "y u not tired one?" even when my gynae came to see me few hrs later, asked me the same thing..

After GA op, actu not suppose to eat anything during tt 24hrs but my gynae see me so alert and clear, not drowsy at all, i was 'granted' a bowl of porridge tt evening..

the next day, they took of the drip and urine bag and i can walk anytime. was supposed to 'call' the nurse to help me but i didnt. just came down slowly from the bed and slowly walk.

the 1st step was a killer!!! machiam the wound going to tear anytime and i will 'sweat'!!

BUT the more u walk, the faster ur wound u recover. TRUST ME!!! I dont feel pain 90% aft nearly a week... my cousin who dare not walk, pain until nearly end of confinement.. and the nurses and gynae all encourage us to walk more... mayb becos i walk so ard 1 week dont feel those 'very pain' alrdy... but still, will feel some pain but bearable ones unlike those 'tearing pain'

btw TMC confinement food is VERY VERY NICE!!! Esp the papaya fish soup!!! That time ds admitted TMC, also gave us papaya fish soup, i was so happy!!! Whenever papaya fish soup came, hubby will snatched with me! haha!

tika

For my 2nd pregnancy, i went thru GA delivery at Thomson on 15th September.

regina, did you know whether they got put a tube down your throat during the op? My throat was very painful they put a tube down mine. The beetchy thing was, they WOKE me up before pulling the tube out. Don't mean to scare others but its DAMN PAIN lorrr. Blardy hell nurses and anesthetist. (Sad to say, I'm very against tmc already.) As the days go by it became more painful to swallow. My gynae had warned me tho that my throat will hurt. But i did not believe her cos my sister went thru GA at Gleneagles and suffered NO PAIN at all. She doesn't even know whether they put a tube down her throat.

Difference I felt between the 2 Csects.....

(Take note my threshold for pain is moderate.)

Epidural (half awake) Csect
very Painful when given epi cos i was not experiencing contractions.
After surgery, no pain till painkiller wore off.
Throat no pain
Super duper drowsy till next day
Itchy (side effects)
Sweating like mad (side effects) even tho room aircon was 16 degrees.
First step was DAMN ^%#%@$#%@$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GA Csect
Asleep throughout, no pain
Woke up from surgery, with tube still down my throat. After they pulled it out, suddenly all the pain hit me. It was worse than the epi pain.
Throat hurt like hell the next few days, cannot swallow.
Very alert. (i think its cos the pain kept me awake)
No side effects experienced.

For both deliveries, I could walk normally after 4 - 5 days.

Hope this helps. :)

apollo

For my 2nd pregnancy, i went thru GA delivery at Thomson on 15th September.

regina, did you know whether they got put a tube down your throat during the op? My throat was very painful they put a tube down mine. The beetchy thing was, they WOKE me up before pulling the tube out. dont't mean to scare others but its DAMN PAIN lorrr. Blardy hell nurses and anesthetist. (Sad to say, I'm very against Thomson Medical Center already.) As the days go by it became more painful to swallow. My gynae had warned me tho that my throat will hurt. But i did not believe her cos my sister went thru GA at Gleneagles and suffered NO PAIN at all. She doesn't even know whether they put a tube down her throat.

Difference I felt between the 2 Csects.....

(Take note my threshold for pain is moderate.)

Epidural (half awake) Csect
very Painful when given epi cos i was not experiencing contractions.
After surgery, no pain till painkiller wore off.
Throat no pain
Super duper drowsy till next day
Itchy (side effects)
Sweating like mad (side effects) even tho room aircon was 16 degrees.

GA Csect
Asleep throughout, no pain
Woke up from surgery, with tube still down my throat. After they pulled it out, suddenly all the pain hit me. It was worse than the epi pain.
Throat hurt like hell the next few days, cannot swallow.
Very alert. (i think its cos the pain kept me awake)
No side effects experienced.

For both deliveries, I could walk normally after 4 - 5 days.

Hope this helps. :)
YES no matter what OP, all will insert tube. they pulled the tube aft waking me up too.. i asked my fren who is a nurse. she said they did the right thing by pulling it out aft waking us up. cos c-sect is consider a'big' OP and they wanna make sure we can wake up. cos if touch wood we cannot wake up, in coma, they can save us immediately instead of wasting more time inserting the tube again.. but hor the pulling out tube is super %^#^&^%*&$#* haha!!! but my throat no pain, only suffer abit cough aft the OP.. haha..

diymummy

Luckily you all do in TMC lorr... GlenE that time they forgot to remove my tube. Kaoz. I thought I was gonna suffocate and die.

tika

Luckily you all do in Thomson Medical Center lorr... GlenE that time they forgot to remove my tube. Kaoz. I thought I was gonna suffocate and die.
hahahahahha

how can forget to take out the tube!!! so scary man. Never show them your middle finger ah?

10 minutes before they wheeled me into the op theatre, my anesthetist came up to me and tried to persuade me to go for Epi instead of GA. She said it'll be more fun to have hubby inside. I nicely turned down her suggestion and said both hubby and I have made the decision months before today. She didn't seem to like my reply and insisted that I take epi instead. She told me to take 10 minutes to consider. I nicely turned her down again and said i don't need the 10 minutes. She then said...dont't say I didn't warn you ... GA would be painful and also a big tube will be shoved down your throat and it will hurt. Then she abruptly left. Win liao lorr.

Upon waking up after the op, the anesthetist asked me how i felt. I mumbled its very painful. She replied... See, I told you so.

If i wasn't in pain I would have showed her my middle finger siaa.
Whether epi or GA, an op is still an op and pain will be FELT what!!!! stupid anesthetist.

diymummy

Wah Tika, your anesthetist really one kind. I will sure write in to compain abt her attitude.

That time they left me with the tube for quite a looooong time. I raelly couldn't breathe. Couldn't move also coz just came off the GA. Zzzzz...

Anyway, I won't recommend GlenE to anyone who's giving birth. Their service level is way down below. So ex somemore. So glad you mummies are choosing TMC.

apollo

hahahahahha

how can forget to take out the tube!!! so scary man. Never show them your middle finger ?

10 minutes before they wheeled me into the op theatre, my anesthetist came up to me and tried to persuade me to go for Epi instead of GA. She said it'll be more fun to have hubby inside. I nicely turned down her suggestion and said both hubby and I have made the decision months before today. She didn't seem to like my reply and insisted that I take epi instead. She told me to take 10 minutes to consider. I nicely turned her down again and said i dont't need the 10 minutes. She then said...dont't say I didn't warn you ... GA would be painful and also a big tube will be shoved down your throat and it will hurt. Then she abruptly left. Win lorr.

Upon waking up after the op, the anesthetist asked me how i felt. I mumbled its very painful. She replied... See, I told you so.

If i wasn't in pain I would have showed her my middle finger siaa.
Whether epi or GA, an op is still an op and pain will be FELT what!!!! stupid anesthetist.
my anesthetist kept persuade me too.. actu from what i know and what i guess, cos GA has its 'danger', we might not wake up aft the GA though the % is quite low but still, it still can happen. so they will keep persuade us to take epi.. even right b4 i was being injection and given the gas, my gynae asked me again "u really wan GA ahh?? take epi lahh..." haha!

but ur anesthetist v bad, laugh u! shd give her a big tight slap! my anesthetist is much more kinder. he is a male, keep joke with me while he injected me and will keep tell me how i will feel aft he injected me, lik hw many seconds onward.. then aft he say everything he ask me am i ready for the injection anot, i said yes, and know what he said? he said "i alrdy injected u 3 mins ago, time to go to slp regina! and i immediately KO, no joke! haha...

JessYen

I just had my epi c-sect on 5 Nov at TMC and hubby was so excited when he saw the twins immediately this time :Dancing_tongue:
last 2 times was not allowed even with epi... so glad tat he can go delivery with me.... lol

Everything was fine, except that I vomitted after op while resting in my ward.. and do try to walk a bit even if its painful cos it will slowly goes off... my 1st boy I dare not walk and the pain was with me for almost a week, so 2nd boy and this time, I was walking from the next day with hubby's help... I dare not try GA cos the cases that i saw for GA was extreme pain after op...:elvis:

apollo

I just had my epi c-sect on 5 Nov at Thomson Medical Center and hubby was so excited when he saw the twins immediately this time :Dancing_tongue:
last 2 times was not allowed even with epi... so glad that he can go delivery with me.... lol

Everything was fine, except that I vomitted after op while resting in my ward.. and do try to walk a bit even if its painful cos it will slowly goes off... my 1st boy I dare not walk and the pain was with me for almost a week, so 2nd boy and this time, I was walking from the next day with hubby's help... I dare not try GA cos the cases that i saw for GA was extreme pain after op...:elvis:
actu i think e pain is the same.. cos once the epi effect wear off, also will pain =)

btw when the epi is injected, is it painful? cos heard tt the injection behind is v painful... if not pain, maybe next preg i can consider then my hub can go in.. hehe...

thanks mummies - very useful info :) didn know abt the tube down the throat thingy prior to this...

For me, coz i haf quite low threshold for pain, thats y i was contemplating GA C-sect. Tot that would be less traumatising. But based on what I read so far in the above posts, it seems like the pain post delivery is v v severe.

Dilemma... Recently, i was at my gynae, and he found that I had a fungal infection, so needed to insert tablet. When he tried to do that, I was screaming so much.. He said " oh no, how to deliver like tat, coz i will need to do vaginal dilation check. you may wanna consider epidural."

Thats y i tot of delivering under GA c-sect, scared natural birth with epi still will experience pain.. and then some cases i heard, after a long struggle - end up with emergency c-sect.. even more traumatising rite?

izanyzam

Hi mummies...I delivered my baby boy via emergency c-sect with epidural @ Thomson Medical.I opted for epidural instead of GA coz i have ever been under GA before and i dont like the feeling after waking up.I went through several operations after my road traffic accident and i hate GA...!!! I would wake up vomitting,feeling like my head gonna burst open only to pass out again.

But having the epidural injection was quite painfull and uncomfortable as they had me lie down on one side and had me pull my knees as close as i can to my chest (with a heavily pregnant belly...Do u think dats an easy thing to do..??!!).We also need to stay as still as we can coz if we move,they might hit a nerve and could cause paralysis.I could only grab the ends of my pillow as they did the injection.Also in the long run,epidural will cause you to have severe backaches.

I couldnt move from my bed during the first day.Lucky they inserted a catheter in.I also shivered a lot frm the side effects of the epidural.I shook so much that the wound site ached and stings.The next day though,they told me to get up and try to walk.And indeed the first step was a KILLER.Felt as if my tummy was gonna burst open and all my intestines were gona spill all over the floor.On the second night,i had a sudden cough attack.I literally cried with every cough.It was sooo painful.Now its almost 2 weeks since my surgery.I still feel a dull ache at the wound site and sometime it still stings a bit.

But epidural is all worth it coz my hubby get to come in and sit beside me,comforting me and witness with me the birth of our first baby. :001_302:

apollo

thanks mummies - very useful info :) didn know about the tube down the throat thingy prior to this...

For me, coz i have quite low threshold for pain, thats why i was contemplating GA C-sect. thought that would be less traumatising. But based on what I read so far in the above posts, it seems like the pain post delivery is very very severe.

Dilemma... Recently, i was at my gynae, and he found that I had a fungal infection, so needed to insert tablet. When he tried to do that, I was screaming so much.. He said " oh no, how to deliver like that, coz i will need to do vaginal dilation check. you may wanna consider epidural."

Thats why i thought of delivering under GA c-sect, scared natural birth with epi still will experience pain.. and then some cases i heard, after a long struggle - end up with emergency c-sect.. even more traumatising rite?
my dear, no matter normal deliver, c-sect with epi or c-sect with GA, ALL will feel pain!

Natural delivery - pain for many hrs, the labour pain. but aft baby come out okay alrdy

c-sect w/epi - during delivery not pain but aft the epi effect wear off, u will still feel the pain, esp when u walk.

c-sect GA - slp thru out the process but once u wake up, will feel abit painful when u move or sit up. but u will be put on drip with 'panadol' inside...

i'm that kind who abit also will scream and cry, very scare pain.. but i thinkn c-sect GA is okay for me. think depends on individual

during 2nd night, the nurse left ds with me and i saw him slping soundly so i went to the toilet. when i just locked e door, i heard ds crying v loud and i 'forgot' the pain on my wound and dash out of the toilet... u see, i so scare of pain but i still can walk ard...

dun worry, no pain no gain. no pain, no baby. haha :tlaugh:

my dear, no matter normal deliver, c-sect with epi or c-sect with GA, ALL will feel pain!

Natural delivery - pain for many hours, the labour pain. but after baby come out okay alrdy

c-sect w/epi - during delivery not pain but after the epi effect wear off, you will still feel the pain, esp when you walk.

c-sect GA - sleep thru out the process but once you wake up, will feel abit painful when you move or sit up. but you will be put on drip with 'panadol' inside...

i'm that kind who abit also will scream and cry, very scare pain.. but i thinkn c-sect GA is okay for me. think depends on individual

during 2nd night, the nurse left dear son with me and i saw him sleeping soundly so i went to the toilet. when i just locked e door, i heard dear son crying very loud and i 'forgot' the pain on my wound and dash out of the toilet... you see, i so scare of pain but i still can walk around...

dont worry, no pain no gain. no pain, no baby. haha :tlaugh:
hi regina, thanks for sharing. such a sweet mum :)

will probably see how things go over the next few weeks - will take ur advice and try to be brave, perhaps go for natural if I can.. but also gonna see how much baby weighs and what gynae recommends...

whew - 6.5 more weeks to go... counting down....

tulip_nel

Hi pinky,

I just gave birth naturally w/o epi at GlenE on 1 Nov 09..

I was overdue then and nearly need to take C-sect, but luckily the natural labour pain came before the C-sect. The pain came at 1am, and my baby boy came out near 9am with forcep delivery.

After reading the thread, I think it's best to try to go for natural birth, although you need to go through the labour pain. I agreed that the labour pain is really pain, especially when it has opened near 10cm. But at the afternoon after delivery, the nurse already asked me to walk.. at first i feel giddy, but after a few second i already can walk to toilet to pass the urine.. In the evening, I already can walk around by myself :).

I now think if I am going to give birth for the second baby, I think I will still try for the natural first .....

Hope it helps you to consider to go for natural first...

hi regina, thanks for sharing. such a sweet mum :)

will probably see how things go over the next few weeks - will take your advice and try to be brave, perhaps go for natural if I can.. but also gonna see how much baby weighs and what gynae recommends...

whew - 6.5 more weeks to go... counting down....

Hi pinky,

I just gave birth naturally w/o epi at GlenE on 1 Nov 09..

I was overdue then and nearly need to take C-sect, but luckily the natural labour pain came before the C-sect. The pain came at 1am, and my baby boy came out near 9am with forcep delivery.

After reading the thread, I think it's best to try to go for natural birth, although you need to go through the labour pain. I agreed that the labour pain is really pain, especially when it has opened near 10cm. But at the afternoon after delivery, the nurse already asked me to walk.. at first i feel giddy, but after a few second i already can walk to toilet to pass the urine.. In the evening, I already can walk around by myself :).

I now think if I am going to give birth for the second baby, I think I will still try for the natural first .....

Hope it helps you to consider to go for natural first...
hi tulip_nel, thanks for sharing. Just went to see my gynae yest, he said he will advice me to try natural birth first, but probably take an epidural for pain relief, since my threshold is low ;p

Just wondering, did you take epidural? Will it eliminate the pain altogether or some pain can still be felt depending on your threshold?

tulip_nel

Hi pinky,

I didn't take the epi as when I went in the hospital, there was 4 cm dilated. I tried to endure the pain by only using the laughing gas and an injection on my thigh to relief the pain.

If ur threshold for pain is low, maybe it is better to take the epi....

hi tulip_nel, thanks for sharing. Just went to see my gynae yest, he said he will advice me to try natural birth first, but probably take an epidural for pain relief, since my threshold is low ;p

Just wondering, did you take epidural? Will it eliminate the pain altogether or some pain can still be felt depending on your threshold?