Gestational Diabetes

jojoki

jojoki, how come you are so reluctant to use epidural? Most of my mommy friends swear by it, even my gynae hinted to me that I would probably need it (guess she saw the coward in me right from the start!). She asked, "Why do you want to suffer in pain for several hours?"

As for the 'tear', I think it's better to have an episiotomy (esp if you need an assisted delivery - forceps or vacuum suction) than an involuntary tear. The gynae will stitch up the wound after the placenta is delivered. Just have to keep the area clean and hygenic during confinement and it will heal between 7 and 10 days or so.
cos i'm afraid of side effect for one, and if not properly done (like my friend whose bb was forcep out, only half her body was numb) also expensive lar... and u knw wat i'm more afraid of that big needle then labour pain .. haha

also the thought of cutting below... gulp! and stitches.... double gulp!

very scary.. yess.. ppl with gd and on insuling get hypo sometimes.... scary cos can go into coma...

Hi all,

Got back from my checkup yesterday.

Alr 32 weeks and my gynae chided me for not making the appointment to attend the full day course.

Anyways, she didnt go into details, but said that insulin shots are not meant for all cases.

So i went out of the room to make an appointment for the fullday course with the staff nurse...then I asked the nurse what did the readings meant, since she left my blood test report on the table for me to peep... heh heheh

well, after my 9 hours fasting, the first draw of blood w/o food and even clear water - it was 4.2... and she said that was normal

then they gave me a drink, glucose drink, and then took my blood after 2 hours...

during that time i didnt eat or drink other stuff. i just slept at the waiting area! hahah

and the reading was 8.1...so the staff nurse said that its abit high, which means my body cannot "get rid" of the sugar within 2 hours, which is why they are concerned. so she said that the full day course, on the special diet and full day monitoring, they wld be able to monitor better and also decide if insulin shots are necessary.

she said for now... 8.1 most likely is diet control, unless on that day, my blood tests show to be havoc...

so just to check, how are u mommies coping?

cos i read in one of the post that even around 8.1 u guys are taking insulin shots...and sometimes reading can go as high as 11.....

i have phobia of giving myself shots everyday

-sigh-

bb is 2kg at 32 weeks.....gynae said that is average. and he is kicking well, heart is well, and i am feeling good...
but she said if i dont get a proper monitoring of GD, i might get into "trouble"

sigh.

did all of u go for the 32 weeks growth scan?

i dint get any letter from my doc to go...the nurse told me that it is not necessary for all women...

hmmm, or am i supposed to do it at later stage?

my next appointment is 3 weeks....i wld be 35 weeks preg then...

can't wait for my baby to come soon!

Hi obscurestloh,

Your reading of 8.1 is not too bad - like what the nurse said, you'll probably be on diet control only, no need daily insulin shots. Don't think about it too much until your full-day course at ODAC.

Initially I was, like you, very worried about the insulin shots. But when reality set in and I was told to take 3 shots daily until I deliver the baby, I just bit the bullet and went through it. Honestly, on most days, the shots are not painful. Only when I accidentally hit a nerve or something - but these are rare.

On days when I feel low because of the GD condition, I will look at baby's ultrasound scan pictures - they keep me focused and definitely make the pain go away.

So, don't worry too much! Stay positive and enjoy your course. Your baby will help you pull through it. :)

My gynae gave me a growth scan at about the 30th week - I think she gave these as part of a routine check for all her patients at this stage of the pregnancy. When I was 32-week pregnant, I went for a 3D scan at the ADC and the medical officer there gave me another growth scan as part of the 3D scan procedure.

During your last visit, did your gynae measure the baby's head circumference, heart, lungs, bone structures, etc.? If so, that's the growth scan. If not, then perhaps you can call him/her to clarify or do so at the next visit.

hehehe...for the last 2 visits

at week 26 and week 32,

we measured bb's round tummy and thats how i knew abt bb's weight

then she checked for the head, looked at his bones, but nothing was mentioned.

i guess all is well...or maybe her style is to do a detail scan nearer the final week?

not sure.

thats why i said my gynae seeems abit rushed each visit...yesterday the waiting area at KKH was not very packed (as in Private suite)...but her style has been like that...is not unfriendly,
but just the feel that if u dont ask, she will just send u off

CanCanMum

yeah some doctors are like tat......if there is nothing wrong they will keep quiet.

for me last time i make a list of questions to ask my gynae....coz i will oso forget....but he will wait for me and ask me "any more questions?"

for him sometimes he seems rushed (once i was inside for less than 5 minutes only), sometimes v relaxed....but most of the time he is relaxed....

Hi obscurestloh,

Your gynae seems to be a man/woman of few words.

Initially, my gynae was also like that - will only give details or elaborate if hubby and/or I asked questions.

But for the last few visits, as the big day draws nearer, we're getting more excited and asking many questions, including coming up with a list of questions on baby's growth, pain relief options, episiotomies, delivery positions, etc., as well as sharing my birth plan with the gynae. That's when she becomes more chatty.

Perhaps you can ask more questions at your next scan to hint to your gynae that you would prefer to know much more about baby's development and your own health status.

jojoki

aiyo.. just went to check with my endo.. my hcga1 (??) went up 6.9
and my bb is 3kg now from 2.5 kg one week ago... now a bit worried she;ll come out BIG!!

went for the one day camp at KKH (ODAC)

lowest reading on meter - 4.2

highest - 6.2 (after lunch)

well....after dinner, came home...waited for the time to test ...the reading dropped to 4.2

What do you guys think?
good/ bad?

Today, I didnt stick to the diet. I ate what I felt like.
after dinner - 6.9 ...then subsequently 5.2

Nurse didnt ask me to do so many readings at home...but,
I have got a box of supplies, so I might as well do random checks...

I think my readings are within the advisable mah.... must i really eat according to the terrible meal plans?

grrrrrrrr

Hi obscurestloh,

Your readings seem fine and all within the target blood sugar level (ODAC would have given you an Outpatient Diabetic Monitoring Chart, right?).

If you have been asked to do your blood glucose test diligently on your own, the frequency is 2 consecutive days in a week, 7 times a day.

As for whether you need to stick to the meal plans, I think you should check with the dietician. My personal take is, it's good to follow through but don't have to torture yourself over it - occasionally, give yourself a treat and just monitor your blood glucose after that to ensure it doesn't hit sky high.

Glad you don't need daily insulin injections - am happy for you! :)

jojoki

went for the one day camp at KKH (ODAC)

lowest reading on meter - 4.2

highest - 6.2 (after lunch)

well....after dinner, came home...waited for the time to test ...the reading dropped to 4.2

What do you guys think?
good/ bad?

Today, I didnt stick to the diet. I ate what I felt like.
after dinner - 6.9 ...then subsequently 5.2

Nurse didnt ask me to do so many readings at home...but,
I have got a box of supplies, so I might as well do random checks...

I think my readings are within the advisable mah.... must i really eat according to the terrible meal plans?

grrrrrrrr

ur reading ok ma... but my endocrinologist always say for preggy after meal best is below 6. think u r not having GD lar.... but just make a little effort not too eat too sweet lor.. just remember to eat healthy n if u have to indulge... do it moderately...

hi mommies,

how's everyone coping?

Well, i have been given the monitoring chart, so will conduct the 2 consecutive days check as planned.

but even now, i try to do random checks. meaning i will do after lunch or dinner (2 hours or 3 hours after meals)...and I have been keeping readings between 4.8 to 5.7

yeah, am making a conscious effort about my sugary foods...but i did take my MOS burger the other day...cant resist !

hahaha

I hope all of you are keeping well too~

keep updating ok!

jojoki

wow very discipline... mine out of control liao... i get soo hungry all the time... my hcag1 reading have gone back up to 6.9... v jialat... kena from my doc.. 9 more days to go!!

Hi obscurestloh,

Your readings are great! :)

I'm guilty of grabbing the occasional burger too! But will choose the healthier choice (e.g. grilled chicken breast, grilled turkey breast), ask for more vege and leave out the mayo. And lucky me, pasta (aglio olio) does not make my blood sugar level rise, so I can have that for dinner when the craving kicks in.

Just two weeks away from my bb's arrival - can't wait to meet him! :)

You take care and keep up the good readings!

must jia you!

on monday, i was admitted to KKH because of some dark brownish discharge...NO BLOOD OK....but all set off alarm for pre term delievery etc etc

kept me locked in there for one night, and was told to stay another night, but since no more contractions and no more weird readings, they let me out "phew"

i know its all for baby's good...but the sudden panic was really like.......WHAT!!!!!!!! like i said, it has all been worry free till the recent G.diabetes...then now this preterm signals !

grrrrrr. baby must be kuai kuai....only 34 weeks old...dont anyhow run out

hahhahah

Hi obscurestloh,

Oh dear, it must have been a bad scare. Hope you're feeling better. Get some rest and think positive - you and baby will be fine. :)

BTW, yesterday gynae said my baby is growing fast and she is going to do a cervical check for me on 2 Mar (two days before the original birth induction date). If the check shows that I'm ready for birth, she will induce really soon - probably before 4 Mar.

According to gynae, preggie moms with GD are generally not allowed to carry the baby more than 38 weeks. So, junior will most likely pop out earlier than I thought! Feeling nervous and excited.