Getting a new maid

Hi all,

After reading the negative posts,

i just wish to share my personal experience recently.

A good one, that is.

By chance, I have met a good agent and got a helper. Being a first time employer, I was hesitant and clueless about many things. Fortunately, the advice of friends and the agent has helped me to manage.

The helper has been with us since last week and so far so good. She is hardworking and we treat her fairly. So I guess she is happy staying with us. She wakes up early (5.30am) and will actually bother to "study" her vocab list given by agency before she sleeps. She is patient with my 9 month old and she takes initiatve to do the chores. Hopefully this would go on for the years to come...hahha

If you need any reccom, I can send you the contact of my agent. (Rather than making advertorial here).

Anyways, for experienced employers here, I just want to check:
are your helpers given hormonal jabs?

I am going to check with my agent next week. According to my helper, she was given jabs so that she will not have her menses and hence will not be preg for 2 years.... not sure if I understood her correctly (language barrier).

Hopefully will get clear answer from agency.

stonston

I am going to check with my agent next week. According to my helper, she was given jabs so that she will not have her menses and hence will not be preg for 2 years.... not sure if I understood her correctly (language barrier).

According to my current and previous maids, they are given jabs to prevent pregnancy. Some of them still get their menses but lighter, some don't get their menses at all.

Shuhui

Hi all,

After reading the negative posts,

i just wish to share my personal experience recently.

A good one, that is.

By chance, I have met a good agent and got a helper. Being a first time employer, I was hesitant and clueless about many things. Fortunately, the advice of friends and the agent has helped me to manage.

The helper has been with us since last week and so far so good. She is hardworking and we treat her fairly. So I guess she is happy staying with us. She wakes up early (5.30am) and will actually bother to "study" her vocab list given by agency before she sleeps. She is patient with my 9 month old and she takes initiatve to do the chores. Hopefully this would go on for the years to come...hahha

If you need any reccom, I can send you the contact of my agent. (Rather than making advertorial here).

Hi can i have the detail of that agent? how much u pay for the agent fee?

Already PM you the details.

Dear all,

FYI I am not benefitting from this referral at all.
Just thot that positive encounters ought to be shared and forwarded. Too much negative feedback here.

When I was hesitating as to hire a helper or not, alot of messages here sorta "scared" me. But no choice lah, really too much housework and babystuff to manage.

I still cook, but at least someone helps me with the preparation and cleaning ~ phew.

One advice from my good friend is that instructions must be clear and be prepared to be repetitive.

I think some of you got really good helpers who knows what to do. My helper takes initiative to do stuff but can be rather clueless at times. So have to take some patience to guide her and literally step by step.

I avoided giving all instructions at one go. For instance, teaching her to clean baby's bottles. I stood by her and watch her. Even cleaning the skirting of the floors, stand and watch for a while then check again. A bit tiring and too much of a shadow behind her. But I've been told it will benefit in the long run.

Last edited:

Tweetie

Hi, may I have the details of this agent? Encouraging piece from you as I am also contemplating getting a live-in helper.

Thanks....

Tweetie...

PM you the details.... Good luck!

Well, going on Week 3 with the helper...Now she is more organised with the housework, and my home being cleaner, can cut back on some duties. she can help me to take care of the bb le!

was very happy that my bb can "click" with her and she managed to coax him to nap earlier today without my help/instructions ... hope all continues well!