Girl is not drinking milk from teat...headache

MamaMyra

Hi JP12 and all.
I too had the same problem with my girl. She was a little terror when it came to feeding time. She dislikes drinking from the bottle so every feed must feed/pour from a spoon. Even then, she keeps struggling and not wanting to drink. Had to distract her with all sorts of things so that she at least finish the minimum intake of milk. Her milk time is a constant battle with her.
Hi all

My, what a relief I feel when seeing all your posts! I've been so worried since past 2 weeks when my 17mo suddenly rejected her milk bottle n FM, when all this time she's had no problems whatsoever n absolutely loved her milk+bottle, can't sleep if she doesn't drink her bottle milk first. But suddenly now she would cry, shake her head, shake her hands etc n absolutely refuse and reject her bottle n milk, that i had to give it to her by syringe! N we been doing that for past 1 week already...

So tell me, is it really ok for her to go without her milk (except what we can get in to her by syringe) n bottle?

Mummy to Baby V

Hi all

My, what a relief I feel when seeing all your posts! I've been so worried since past 2 weeks when my 17mo suddenly rejected her milk bottle n FM, when all this time she's had no problems whatsoever n absolutely loved her milk+bottle, can't sleep if she doesn't drink her bottle milk first. But suddenly now she would cry, shake her head, shake her hands etc n absolutely refuse and reject her bottle n milk, that i had to give it to her by syringe! N we been doing that for past 1 week already...

So tell me, is it really ok for her to go without her milk (except what we can get in to her by syringe) n bottle?
17 months is a big girl, so definitely ok to wean off bottle and move to straw or open cup.

For toddler, milk is mainly to provide calcium and protein. If she's eating well-balanced meals, she can get sufficient carbohydrates, protein and some calcium (e.g. broccoli is a good source). For more calcium, she can also try fresh milk (some love the coldness or fresh taste), and yoghurt with interesting fruits (e.g. banana, blueberries). You can also add good quality cheese to her meals (e.g. baked rice with cheese).

Have fun experimenting to see what she likes! :)

More of my sharing on milk for toddlers at:
Which Milk is Better for Toddler? (Part 1) | Mummy's Reviews

joeybeadz

Hi Bunnydaddy

I also have the same problem with my gal. She is currently 7mths. From her second month, she has been rejecting bottle feeding. I have changed bottles from Avent to NUK. She drank from NUK initially and later rejected again. We are syringe feeding her now. Sometimes, she just suck a bit, i think depends on mood, and left whole bottle untouched, so no choice we syringe feed her. We started feeding her cereal from 4mths, but she also doesn't like, crying throughout feeds, even though we try different brands.

Maybe, i can try the MAM anti-colic bottle you mentioned.

GOSH, I FEEL SO STRESSED OUT DURING FEEDING TIME! Why my girl doesn't like eating...
Ya. sometimes, we just have to spend a bit more on bottle and teats. have to try till one that she likes. Have you tried tommee tippee?

Snowpea

Have not tried Tommee Tippee, just bought MAM bottle and teats, she finish up the milk for around two feeds and after this back to same problem, doesn't want to suck.

joeybeadz

Have not tried Tommee Tippee, just bought MAM bottle and teats, she finish up the milk for around two feeds and after this back to same problem, doesn't want to suck.
I never tried MAM. Maybe you like to try pigeon's peristaltic nipple. Which you can use in your standard or wide neck bottle. Just change the teats. I have used Avent, Tommee Tippee, Nuk.. then in the end, she tried Tommee Tippee and Pigeon. Now she is bigger, she can use tollyjoy's, which is CHEAP.

Snowpea

I never tried MAM. Maybe you like to try pigeon's peristaltic nipple. Which you can use in your standard or wide neck bottle. Just change the teats. I have used Avent, Tommee Tippee, Nuk.. then in the end, she tried Tommee Tippee and Pigeon. Now she is bigger, she can use tollyjoy's, which is CHEAP.
Hi Joeybeadz

Can Tommee Tippee teats go with Avent bottles or NUK wide neck bottles? Thinking of buying teats only first to try out.

Snowpea

Unfortunately, no. ;( That is the problem.
Your gal only likes Tommee Tippee and Pigeon Bottles? When she started to choose teats? Sometimes, I don't know whether is the milk powder my gal is fussy about or the place of feeding or the teats or the person feeding her. Sometimes, she doesn't suck at all, sometimes when she sucks the bottle in shopping malls, sometimes she ok with me feeding her instead my maid?????

Gosh, I have a fussy baby!

joeybeadz

Your gal only likes Tommee Tippee and Pigeon Bottles? When she started to choose teats? Sometimes, I don't know whether is the milk powder my gal is fussy about or the place of feeding or the teats or the person feeding her. Sometimes, she doesn't suck at all, sometimes when she sucks the bottle in shopping malls, sometimes she ok with me feeding her instead my maid?????

Gosh, I have a fussy baby!
Oh ya. There was a period that she faked the sucking. Then actually, the milk never decreased! She used to like Tommee Tippee and Pigeon teats. Then I c that she is not so fussy, I switch back to Avent (the earlier bottles I bought). Then she is ok. Then I bought cheaper brands now, like Tolly joy. And she is ok too. Change gradually. Are the holes for the teats too small? You can consider to change the bigger hole.

My gal chose during the time I'm going back to work as I latched her. So she was not receptive of bottle at first. So got to try many times.

Which powder is she drinking? My gal has to drink soy based now as her stomach couldnot tolerate cow-based formula.

joeybeadz

She is drinking Enfapro. Btw, how u know your baby stomach cannot take cow-based formula?
She was poo-ing so many times. The ultimate came when she poo-ed during her sleep and the smell was sourish, like bad yogurt. Brought her see doc and had stomach flu/virus. Doc told us to change to soy based. Then after that we changed her back to cow-based. Same thing happened. Now she is on soy.. so it is better. ;)

JP12

Hi JP12 and all.
I too had the same problem with my girl. She was a little terror when it came to feeding time. She dislikes drinking from the bottle so every feed must feed/pour from a spoon. Even then, she keeps struggling and not wanting to drink. Had to distract her with all sorts of things so that she at least finish the minimum intake of milk. Her milk time is a constant battle with her.
Sometimes i get so afraid that she might have more wind in the stomach because of the feeding from the spoon. She sometimes give the throw up sounds after a few spoons. I too get so envious that other babies drink so easily from the bottle and teat. It is really tiring to have to feed from the spoon. Especially when we go out, feeding her outdoors can be slightly more cumbersome because of the spoon-feeding.

I've changed different FMs and I tried lots of different bottles and different nipples/teats because one doctor did suggest that it might be her sensitive tongue to the material of the teat.
So i tried the various brands of latex teats and silicone ones to no avail. I even went around switching bottles, from pigeons to avents and so on, exhausting lots of options to try and get darling daughter to drink from the bottle.

By luck, when we were in Australia, i chanced across this brand called MAM. They have this anti-colic bottle which is detachable at the bottom. And their teat is the flat kind. Don't know why, but the first feed with this new bottle and teat, my girl just drank and finished the bottle. I was delighted. The jump for joy kind of feeling. So now, i only stick to this range of bottles and teats. Don't know if this is the cause or what, but somehow it worked out for my girl although i don't know if it might help you out.
This range can be bought off mothercare at their harbourfront location.
Hoping this helps somewhat.
Hi bunnydaddy,
Just bought the MAM bottle with teat and tried on my baby. He cried quite abit initially but then after, he drank from it! And finished! :) Quite happy with the result! Thanks for the recommendation! However, this was only the first trial.. hopefully he will drink from it again during the second or future feeds. Btw, will the MAM teat fit into Avent or NUK bottles? I tried to fit onto the Avent bottle and it seems ok, though haven't tried with liquid inside.

Snowpea

Hi bunnydaddy,
Just bought the MAM bottle with teat and tried on my baby. He cried quite abit initially but then after, he drank from it! And finished! :) Quite happy with the result! Thanks for the recommendation! However, this was only the first trial.. hopefully he will drink from it again during the second or future feeds. Btw, will the MAM teat fit into Avent or NUK bottles? I tried to fit onto the Avent bottle and it seems ok, though haven't tried with liquid inside.
Hi JP12
I also tried MAM bottle, my girl finished up initially, about first two feeds and after that never completely finished. yes MAM teats fit Avent.

MamaMyra

17 months is a big girl, so definitely ok to wean off bottle and move to straw or open cup.

For toddler, milk is mainly to provide calcium and protein. If she's eating well-balanced meals, she can get sufficient carbohydrates, protein and some calcium (e.g. broccoli is a good source). For more calcium, she can also try fresh milk (some love the coldness or fresh taste), and yoghurt with interesting fruits (e.g. banana, blueberries). You can also add good quality cheese to her meals (e.g. baked rice with cheese).

Have fun experimenting to see what she likes! :)

More of my sharing on milk for toddlers at:
Which Milk is Better for Toddler? (Part 1) | Mummy's Reviews
Hi Imperial Concubine

Thanks for sharing and the assurance. :) She's back to her bottle now after a month plus... seems was having sore throat and now treats her bottle like a lost treasure hahaa... but m trying to give her more varieties of food... so fingers crossed!!