glass cooking hob

sassylady

hi all.

i saw this white glass hob from turbo the other day when i was out and i was wondering if its advisable to get a glass hob?

especially since the old one back home needs to be replaced and i wouldnt mind a glass hob since it will be easy to maintain? anyone using a glass hob can give me some feedback? thanks~

stonston

It depends very much on the person using it.

My mum's place is a glass hob. My current maid is very good and she takes very good care of it. Easy to clean and maintain.

However, if the person cooking is very rough and does not take care of it properly, it can shatter easily.

sassylady

i heard so many things about getting a glass hob.

thankfully the sales person from turbo was really patient in explaining it to me.

was thinking of getting it since it looks so pretty and also that i don't usually cook much at my place. just nice for my family as usually we will eat at my in-laws who live few blocks away.

i was told that the glass hob can only take certain sizes of pots/pans. and one of the reasons why i want to get it is because it would be really easy to clean and all.

Phyllis15

I have been using glass hob for more than 9 years, all from turbo. Didn't really faced any problem as long as you do not put extremely hot stuff on the glass then shouldnt be a problem.

sassylady

thanks for sharing.

i guess i'll be getting the optic white glass hob from turbo then. especially since it'll go so well with my white themed kitchen. :)

sassylady

i got my turbo optic white hob already.

it'll be making its way to my kitchen once it's nicely down up.

so excited for it. it's so pretty. :)

Mof2kk

I believe there are 2 types of gas hobs (with fire, not those induction or ceramic type) today - stainless steel and glass top. What Sassylady refers to is the nice glass top.

But if you cook a lot, you may want to consider stainless steel. Or if you prefer BIG BIG fire (like for stir fry veggie), maybe stainless steel better. My hob is also turbo, but stainless steel because I like the big big fire when I fry veggie. I like to hear the sizzling sound from the start to end :) My previous one was other brand that came with my house, I fry veggie untill fed up and decided to change! 3 years already, very happy with my TURBO BIG BIG fire.

nurman02

just sharing this tip...

for a glass hob (tempered) - do not heat up empty pots/kettles/pans for too long..., it will shatter the glass hob...
speaking from experience...

once, we boiled water in a kettle, forgotten abt it, till the the kettle runs dry, and PIANG! the glass shattered... luckily its tempered glass, thus the glass only shatters and not flying all over...

sassylady

there are two types of hobs - the normal stainless steel ones and the glass ones.

the glass hobs are all made from high quality glass but unlike the stainless steel ones they have a certain weight limit it can hold. so using the big cooking woks are not advisable on the glass hobs.

my family has been using turbo as well. but for my new house we decided to go for a glass hob since it's easier to maintain and also we are not frequent cookers. :)

saw this glass hob from turbo recently at the store and i have a few questions.

is there a certain limit to how much weight can a glass hob take? does it crack easily if under cooking under a heavy wok or something?

sassylady

for glass hobs, there's a certain limit to how much weight they can handle. for example, those big woks that people like to use, it's a no go for the glass hobs as they may be too heavy for the hob to handle and with usage, it'll crack in no time.

for me, i took the glass hob because my family is small and we'll only be doing light cooking in the kitchen. so it's better and also it's easier for me to clean it up.

let's just see when the turbo optic white hob arrives and i'll give my comments again. hopefully this helps dear!

well. i went to my friend's mum's place the other time and saw that they have this glass hob from turbo as well.

asked the mum and they have been using it for quite a year plus already and so far they find it alright. i guess with the correct methods of using the glass hobs, the prevention of getting it shattered can be avoided.

still thinking if i should get the glass hob for my new kitchen.

serenelm

I've been using my turbo glass hob for almost 10 yrs le.. So far so good... Early yrs, we seldom cooked but these past 3-4 yrs, I've been cooking almost everyday or every other day... Usually boil soups, deep frying, stir frying, steaming etc...

I've been using my turbo glass hob for almost 10 yrs le.. So far so good... Early yrs, we seldom cooked but these past 3-4 yrs, I've been cooking almost everyday or every other day... Usually boil soups, deep frying, stir frying, steaming etc...
hey dear. can i check with you if there are any restrictions on the glass hob? i saw the turbo one and was quite keen to get them but don't know if i should get it for my new kitchen tho.

serenelm

i bought mine almost 10 yrs ago... n dun really recall the salesperson saying much abt restrictions... but so far, no probs in using... for past 3-4 yrs, i've done lots of deep frying, stir frying, steaming, boiling soups for 1-2 hrs each time (althou this has lessen these 2 yrs since i had my Tiger thermal cooker) etc almost on daily basis... maybe u can check wif the salesperson/check website online? sorry, can't help much.... what i like abt tis hob is it's easy to clean n looks great...

everyone is saying so much things about the glass hob. yours from turbo also? i read at other forums also that they have been using the glass hobs for long periods of time and that everything is working fine.

i like the glass hob because it is easy to clean and it looks good. especially the white one from turbo i saw. and thinking of getting it for the new kitchen.

if everyone is using it for almost ten years already, i think there isn't much to worry right?

sassylady

yes, mine's from turbo... white color too:)
yours is the optic white one? i saw it at the showcase and thought it would go really well with my new kitchen. so far i have been using it without any issues. it's really easy to clean and all. and when my friends come over, they all think it's nice as well. so happy.