Gripe water?

esthergal

Hi mummies,.

Do you give gripe water to your baby? Does it really help? My mum keeps on asking me to feed my 1mth plus baby with woodsward gripe water, say that it's very good and has been passed down from generations... what say you?

Also my baby's stools is in watery form and yellow in color, sometimes got a bit of bits and pieces, is it normal for breastfed babies?

Thanks!

Triquetra

Hi mummies,.

Do you give gripe water to your baby? Does it really help? My mum keeps on asking me to feed my 1mth plus baby with woodsward gripe water, say that it's very good and has been passed down from generations... what say you?

Also my baby's stools is in watery form and yellow in color, sometimes got a bit of bits and pieces, is it normal for breastfed babies?

Thanks!
Your bb's poo is normal, consider good actually.
If you are fully breastfeeding ur baby, I think it's better not to feed her/him anymore water. My paediatrician advised me not to even though I am mixing formula milk and breastmilk.

Phoebii Cheng

The gripe water is for bb's to get rid of wind......

If you dun want to give with water, u can give directly mix it with the milk....tht's wat I did for my son when he was younger.......

And if you are breastfeeding your bb, like wat most mummies would say dun hv to give additional water, as BM is sufficient

But most elderly would want to give water, like my mum.....I just let her give, but not too much, cos if give too much later bb won't want milk feed, too full.....

diymummy

If you don't want to use gripe water which requires adding into water, you can use colic drops which you can feed direct.

I used that for my son who had trouble expelling wind from his tummy.

annie03

Hi esthergal,

Not to worry, your baby stool is normal. I agree that gripe water is really good and its helps when my girl's stomach is bloated with wind and prevent hard stools or constipation and when she face teething pain. And I have been giving my girl water mixed with gripe water when she's 2mths old after i stop bf her. And I'm still giving her gripe water till now once a day out of 3 water feeds due to solid food.

But if you are on total bf, you dont have to give her any water at all until your baby started solid if not will cause her to have watery stools. If you want to give your baby water due to hot weather, few sips is alright. And you can also read the instructions behind the bottle as it will indicate hw much to give to your baby and how old onwards. :tsmile:

Hi mummies,.

Thanks!

snowbear

I asked the PD last time whether I shld give gripe water but she said dun give. She gave me colic drops instead.

PinkDiamonds

I give DD gripe water and it makes her feel a lot better when her tummy is bloated. Makes her less cranky and sleeps better (both of us!)

Triquetra

Is it ok to mix in breastmilk? :err:
Doc actually gave me some sort of very mild medicine to get rid of wind, it also helps with colic and constipation but I have already stopped the medicine.

PinkDiamonds

I mix into breastmilk and doesn't seem to have problem. If I give DD gripe water by the spoon or mix in water, she will spit it out and give me funny face.

LoVeS

Unless ur bb got constipation or having alot of wind in the tummy if nt i dun see the need of feeding ur bb gripe water as it is suppose to help constipation n pass out wind~

fioncess

if baby not fussy or cranky abt bloated tummy then i think no need to give..
my baby also alot of wind in tummy but she nv get cranky or cry so i nv give her.. till my mum think nt very gd then go see doc.. she gave us ridwind.. it helps but the problem is always there so we stop giving since she nv show discomfort...

I refer into my pedia, last week whether I should give gripe water but she said to me that don't give this.
Its better to give colic drops. that's the best.