Guidelines call for television ban for children until age two

Daddy D

Alpha Male
Guidelines call for television ban for children until age two | The Australian

"CHILDREN should be banned from watching television until they turn two, according to new federal guidelines for parents and carers that warn "screen time" can stunt language development and shorten kids' attention span....
And television time should be limited to an hour a day for children aged two to five, say the first official recommendations on children's viewing habits... "

stonston

Hmmm, I think it varies from child to child. Time on TV = time away from learning. But my boy only gets to watch TV when he eats (definitely can't do much learning activities during that time, so might as well let him watch educational DVDs).

I don't find my son's language abilities being hampered by TV. In fact, he learns alot of vocab & expressions from there (that's why it's only limited to EDUCATIONAL programs, no violent cartoons).
His attention span is the same as any other kiddo. If the lesson is interesting, he'll be quietly seated down & following instructions. If the teacher is boring, I won't expect him to sit still either.

It depends on how parents us TV as a learning tool :) TV is NOT your babysitter :)

Ting

yes i agree. pin learnt quite alot thru TV time.
but i only let her watch those children edu shows. with singing n some baby cartoons.
it doesnt hinder her speech n she is quite linguistic for her age. i personally feel its a individual thingy. :)

pokemon97

i let my son watch TV when i'm busy in the kitchen or bath cos it will keep him still. And he learn a lot from sesame street.

jasobias

ya maybe they r talking abt those extreme parents who let kids watch tv whole day n a whole lot of nonsense programs.My sons watched tv since they were babies n they speak grammatically correct english n their vocab is impressive.So thts one thing i am not gonna go by.Will be letting my baby watch tv too when she shows interest.

stonston

ya maybe they are talking about those extreme parents who let kids watch tv whole day and a whole lot of nonsense programs.My sons watched tv since they were babies and they speak grammatically correct english and their vocab is impressive.So thts one thing i am not gonna go by.Will be letting my baby watch tv too when she shows interest.
Sometimes these research never state how many hours a day is considered alot, hard to say whether it's applicable to all kids.

I calculated my son's TV time, adds up to around 3 hours a day, sometimes more if I bought a new CD or when he does not hv enrichment classes.

Btw, kids who watch educational shows tend to speak better than those who simply watch whatever the local channels are showing (in SINGLISH!).

diymummy

Sometimes these research never state how many hours a day is considered alot, hard to say whether it's applicable to all kids.

I calculated my son's TV time, adds up to around 3 hours a day, sometimes more if I bought a new CD or when he does not have enrichment classes.

Btw, kids who watch educational shows tend to speak better than those who simply watch whatever the local channels are showing (in SINGLISH!).
Yes!! Esp PCK Pte Ltd... OMG.... All his don't "pray pray".... And I saw the advert where he was going into a class to use a "prug".... O the horrors.

Anyway for children's program I won't let my ds watch Winnie the Pooh... A lot of their spellings are wrong.... like "For sail".... -.-"

stonston

My son likes the characters in Winnie the Pooh but he does not enjoy watching the show itself. Very strange. His favourites are still Word World & Leapfrog.

Recently he's starting to laugh at Pocoyo's lame 'jokes' also. Can laugh until cry!

autumn82

Iggy loves piglet!!! :p He will hug his piglet and pat him to bed, before he bites its nose. :001_302::001_302::001_302:

His favo cartoons are still Little Einsteins & Mickey Mouse Clubhouse~~ :tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh:

Ting

pin loves pooh. but i bought her a baby eeyore plushie cos i think its so cute!
now her fav is the dinos, the land b4 time.. everyday watch.. -.-"

Judy

Guidelines call for television ban for children until age two | The Australian

"CHILDREN should be banned from watching television until they turn two, according to new federal guidelines for parents and carers that warn "screen time" can stunt language development and shorten kids' attention span....
And television time should be limited to an hour a day for children aged two to five, say the first official recommendations on children's viewing habits... "

Does baby TV counts? And how abt those educational VCDs? My child likes them a lot.

For me, I control the no. of hours and the type of programme my under 2 year old child can watch. But I do believe that too much TV can also be bad for adults as well as we do cut down on interacting with our partners/ family when watching TV. So I guess for everything we do, we should always do by moderation.

Ting

Does baby TV counts? And how about those educational VCDs? My child likes them a lot.

For me, I control the no. of hours and the type of programme my under 2 year old child can watch. But I do believe that too much TV can also be bad for adults as well as we do cut down on interacting with our partners/ family when watching TV. So I guess for everything we do, we should always do by moderation.
hmmm, me n my bf loves spending time tgt watching tv/movies on tv. :)

stonston

hmmm, me and my bf loves spending time together watching tv/movies on tv. :)
I've read a research that when couples watch shows together, there should be physical contact as it's an 'unspoken' bonding time. If both are just sitting there without interaction, then it's bad.

I always lie on my hb's lap when I watch TV at home :p

Ting

I've read a research that when couples watch shows together, there should be physical contact as it's an 'unspoken' bonding time. If both are just sitting there without interaction, then it's bad.

I always lie on my husband's lap when I watch TV at home :p
haha physical contact? no worries on that! bf is very sticky type. always must hug me when watching tv!

jessielim72

I think whether or not TV impair the language, depends totally on the kid.

Both my kids watch mostly entertainment sort of programme (Barney, Hi5, Bob the Builder, Spongebob) right from the time they can sit up. My girl speaks perfect BBC English. Her phonic and spelling is way above her peers and she learnt lots of vocabs and words from the programmes that she watches.

My son on the other hand (i think) is slightly "impaired" (lack of a better word) by watching these programmes. He tried to mimick the way the characters speak and in the process forgetting how to speak properly or form his own sentences......