Hard Stool Woes

Astar

While some mummies fret over their baby's watery stool, I am worried over my son's hard stool.

He is 9 months, and is on formula and solid such as fish / chicken brown rice porridge. He also consumes 1/2 a bottle of puree fruits daily, but he is still having very hard stool.

He poos daily, but still the stools are very hard. I am soo worried that his butt might bleed from the pushing. Heartpain also.

I have to resort to feeding off the shelve stool softerner, but i don't wish to rely on medication to help him poo in the long run.

What can I do?!

tika

In your case, food is not the cause since it's a healthy balance with fruits. How much water does he drink in a day?

camom

Try some prune puree or juice. That's a natural laxative.

Have you changed his FM recently? Babies react differently to different FMs.

Fibre works to gather and bulk up the bowels but if the peristaltic movements of the intestines are not efficient, then too much water may be absorbed along the way, leaving hard stools again at the rectum. You need to balance both movements n water/fibre intake.

Also, do note that foods like bananas, rice, soy and white flour products usually produce firmer stools. Pears, peaches, plums ,apricots, prines n peas make stool softer.

Ting

While some mummies fret over their baby's watery stool, I am worried over my son's hard stool.

He is 9 months, and is on formula and solid such as fish / chicken brown rice porridge. He also consumes 1/2 a bottle of puree fruits daily, but he is still having very hard stool.

He poos daily, but still the stools are very hard. I am soo worried that his butt might bleed from the pushing. Heartpain also.

I have to resort to feeding off the shelve stool softerner, but i dont't wish to rely on medication to help him poo in the long run.

What can I do?!
actually for pin's case also like tt.
she take in alot of fruits n whatsoever but ever since she started on solids, she had very hard stools n difficulty in poo-ing.
u name it, i fed it.
prunes, papaya, dragonfruit all those fruits she also take. yoghurt, yakult, i also give alot.
water, she drink alot each day, still hv this prob.
so no choice, put her on lactulose each time she cannot poo.
actually stool softenener is ok, it just makes it easier for them to poo, its not like laxative.
she was on this medication for quite a long time, think for 1/2 yr to 1 yr, i cant rmb.
but later on, she can poo everyday n with no hard stools alr.
i think it will take some time. let your son exercise also, will help.

Astar

thank you everyone!

Acutally, since birth, I noticed he has this problem already. PD recommend to add Friso Comfort to his current milk (NAN). I might just do that again.

As for water intake, he really drinks a lot. That is what perplexed me! Really no idea why is he still producing hard stool. Been to the PD a couple of times for suppository also. But, PD advise against it, as he might become reliant on it.

Let me try Friso Comfort, and prune juice at the meantime.

meiteoh

From the Super Baby Food, a 9 mth old should be taking around three meals a day and the following amounts: 4-5 servings of fruit/veg (1 serving is 2-4 tablespoons or 1-2 food cubes) daily, 3-4 servings of grain/cereal daily, 2-3 servings of protein or meat alternatives daily, 1 dairy serving daily or alternate days, 1 egg yolk serving 3-4 times a week. They should drink about 26-32 oz of FM or be BFed at least 3-4 times a day. This excludes about 2-4 oz of water/juice/liquids daily.

Maybe can consider adding yoghurt (rich in probiotics) to his diet plus cutting back on amount of grains/cereals (porridge falls under here) as well as protein. Note that protein too adds bulk to stool and if you feed iron-rich foods, that can also lead to constipation.

Astar

Mummies, I have to revive this thread.

Son's hard stool problem is still not solved. Yogurt also did not work. Friso Comfort also not working.

I thought of changing forumula milk. Currently using Nan Pro. Any idea which brand helps with producing softer stools?

potato

Same as me.. My gal also drink nan pro, she has the urge to poo, but poo too big. That's why can't poo..

eseleygrace

Hi all,i need some advice for my newborn which is only 3 weeks and 3 day old.
He has been having hard yellow stools since 2wks ago.i feed him with FM.
I have change from similac to s26 to enfa lac and lastly now i am trying friso.I really hope that this could help him.
My son Vintus pool twices a day.however,his poos are all yellow round and hard.I am so worry about it.can someone give me this new mummy some advice??

apollo

Hi all,i need some advice for my newborn which is only 3 weeks and 3 day old.
He has been having hard yellow stools since 2wks ago.i feed him with FM.
I have change from similac to s26 to enfa lac and lastly now i am trying friso.I really hope that this could help him.
My son Vintus pool twices a day.however,his poos are all yellow round and hard.I am so worry about it.can someone give me this new mummy some advice??
b4 he is having hard stool, was he on fully breastfeed? from ur post, do u meant tt u change his FM 3x within these 2 weeks or since his birth? cos usually if u started intro FM to him, or changed FM, bb's tummy nd sometime to adjust, usually during the 1st 1-2 weeks, some of them will get diarrhoea (watery stool) or constipation. unless aft 2 weeks situation still didnt improve, then i suggest u to bring ur baby to a pd.

eseleygrace

hi apollo,

thank for ur reply.
I have only BF my son for 1st 4 days.after that i fully feed him with FM.i've change to 3 diff kind of fm but he is still having hard poo.He is able to poo everyday but just that his poo are hard and yellow.
Feel pain to see him trying to poo so hard.

Phyllis15

My son (3 months) is on Mamex (The mamil gold series under dumex) and the stools are like drinking breast milk. So mayb can give it a try.

raeka

Hi A star,
My boy too have this problem.
I gave him fruits like pear Papaya Apple peach dragonfruit everyday one type of fruit.

Veggie for his meal like spinach lettuce broccoli pumpkin sweet potatoes sometime potatoes .

After his meal half an' hour you then give them fruit , fruit juice, prune juice, yakult is better .

Maybe you can make it after his lunch gave his juice or yakult.
If your child wake up early maybe you can give him/her fruits.

Try for around 5 days you see is there any improvement ?

Try to avoid biscuit , white bread.

Normally my boy cannot poo he will take pear and yakult in a day.

liz2010

My daughter has the same problem since she started solid food. It started when she was 7 months old. I had to buy a medication and it was bleeding because she didn't poo for many days. Poor girl, she was crying so loud. It was really heartbreaking :wecry: .I tried every piece of advice given by the pediatrician and friends: papaya, small banana, prune juice, oat, pear... nothing worked. So what I did: I cut down on all the carbohydrates and some veggies like potato, sweet potato and carrot. Her stools was normal after that. Then, I introduced again very slowly all the carbohydrates and the above veggies. I gradually increased the quantity. This really helped a lot, although she didn't put much on weight at the time. But at least she wasn't on medication. Now, I give her dried fruit (she likes raisin) everyday and it's much better. And whenever she doesn't poo one day, I give her prune juice the next day and it makes her poo. Her stool is hard, but at least she can do it. She is 18 months now.

I've noticed that usually it happens when my daughter is teething. So hopefully, it's over once all teeth are out.

sunburst

So many suggestions on what food to try to help soften pop... So I give different type of suggestion. While trying to figure what diet to help soften the pop... In the meantime to ease the pain of pop-ing, apply bb oil at the anus portion. And yes u have to apply at the hole b4 start of pop and also during the process if the pieces are too big.

This helps to reduce the friction so slightly less painful.

isabelandrew

my DD took NAN pro and she was seriously constipated. we changed to NAN HA. she is very happy with it, we switch before NAN HA2 and 3 now that she is 20 mths.

brown rice somehow also contribute to constipation. if ur bb is prone to constipate, combine white and brown rice? im doing that for my girl.

also hor. i realized my girl can really POO ALOT when she take HENG CAI (i don't know in english). I puree the HENG Cai into her porridge.

immediately after which, the whole room will be her POO SMELL. wow piah!

hope this helps..

meiteoh

Actually when bb has constipation, the best way is to cut back on carbs like brown rice, wheat and oats as well as starchy veg like potatoes, sweet potato, pumpkin, etc because those are constipating. Offer more veg and fruits. (Liz, thanks for sharing - coz it's a good strategy.) And also, yes, change FM - sometimes the components in FM are the culprits as they often use hard to digest minerals and for toddler FM, some even include stuff like corn syrup, corn starch, etc. :/

wxw001

The normal green pear the one that look like woman with big butt. U buy very ripe ones. So it's softer. Peel the skin n use fork to mash... Else can steam the pear then scoop out the flesh n mash for baby...very sweet... My baby loves it. ;)