helicopter parents

uddermummy

yeah, when my ger falls, and i don't think it was a hard fall, i will just laugh and smile, or just pretend i didn't see anything. When there's no audience, my ger will just guai guai pick herself up and continue playing! :001_302:

apollo

yeah, when my ger falls, and i dont't think it was a hard fall, i will just laugh and smile, or just pretend i didn't see anything. When there's no audience, my ger will just guai guai pick herself up and continue playing! :001_302:
actu i realise the more panic we are when baby fall down, the more they will cry..

lik tt time ds knock onto his cot, he felt nth but tt was e 1st time i encounter such things and he was so young, ard 2mth+ and i screamed, saying "OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! u ok? u ok???" in e end he cried -.-"""""""""""""""

jasobias

As for me i try getting my boys(7 yrs old n 5 yrs old) to be more independent.I prepare meals ,put them on the table n call out for the boys to eat .Then i leave the kitchen.They r to finish their food(they usually try their best lah),clean out their plates,wash the dishes n wipe the table.
For my 7 yr old too i dont wait for the school bus after school.He just runs up to our flat by himself.
If they fall,which they often do,they wld usually not cry n they know where the plasters ah.So just go wash wound n put plaster.
My younger son has a better immune system then my elder coz he was wht we dubbed a "dustbin raider". When he was really young he wld love opening the dustbin to see if we had thrown away anything gd tht he cld salvage.Food fall on the floor also he will just pick up n eat..eeew!i know! But so far(touch wood) he never had an upset tummy.We became more lax with hygiene after 2nd son was born n the eldest one surprisingly started to fall ill less often too.I think a bit of dirt never kills anyone.
So with baby now,i allow my 7 yr old to make her milk n feed her.Its impt to trust kids too.Boosts confidence.I even allow him to carry baby.She was fussy at the dr's so i allowed him to carry her ard the clinic...everyone just stared..one even said to her hubby"wah the mother so daring..boy drop the baby then how?"
But if we shelter our kids all our lives they will never find their own feet.
Just equip them with the right skills is the best way to go.

meiteoh

jasobias, I'm with you. It's good that you're encouraging your kids to help out, even if it's things like cleaning up after themselves and helping out with your baby. Otherwise, you'd be all pooped out. My hubs and I plan to do the same - get the kids to help out with the housechores when they are old enough.

We don't want what happened to his nephew and niece to happen to us; they are 10 and 7 BUT they don't pick up after themselves (be it toys, clothes, etc), they don't help lay the table for dinner OR prepare dinner - just run to the dining table and sit down like kings & queens waiting for people to serve them their meals. In fact, the 7 year old still needs her father to bath her!!!! Gosh. My hubby finds it strange that my sis-in-law (his sis) does nothing about it coz they weren't raised up like this.

I did tell him that maybe she doesn't trusts them but if you don't start now, when are you going to start? When they are off to uni/college? :/

uddermummy

btw mummies, pls don't shell out money for those so called Mozart CDs that claim to make your kids into geniuses.

The original research that showed the Mozart effect was actually quite poorly conducted, and subsequent studies have showed that there is no such thing as the Mozart Effect.

:001_302:

EnFlor

i must admit that I'm becoming one... :p

enjoy the article!

Helicopter Parents: The Backlash Against Overparenting - TIME

Great article. It is like a wake-up call to parents to really learn when to let go and when to pull the string....ya know, just like flying a kite. But can't just blame parents alone when they adopt 'helicopterism' parenting, societal expectations are to be blamed too coz society in general sets the standard on what is normal and what is abnormal, what is to be applauded and what is to be frowned upon.