Help!!! Baby's first birthday

daberdew

Hi mummies,

From my understanding, babies are supposed to choose some stuff (such as abacus, ruler, pen, etc) on their first birthday. Think 12 items in total. Please advise what are the 12 items as I am at a loss!!! Thanks!

If can tell me what each iem stands for, will be best too!!!:wong19:

January84

we only gave him 5 items

chicken drumstick, money, pen, book, caculator.
also need to put the 2 red eggs also. It would be best if bb pick the red eggs as first followed by desired item.

CanCanMum

we only gave him 5 items

chicken drumstick, money, pen, book, caculator.
also need to put the 2 red eggs also. It would be best if bb pick the red eggs as first followed by desired item.
my darlin no2 is right, let me add on the meanings:

Calculator/abacus - Prosperous, always got $ to count
Book - Very intelligent, become scholar
Chicken drumstick - Always got food to eat
Pen - Will become govt official in olden times, cos got to write.

Never heard got 12 items de leh, is it other dialects?

But nowadays not many people practice this anymore le.....

JuzAngel

According to the tradition, child at exactly 1 year old (typically at birthday) will be presented with many things, n each of them has a meaning and represents a profession. The child will pick up something he/she is interested, indicatingl what he/ she will become when he/she grows up. There is no fixed list of things to present, and obviously things changes from accident China to today. The meanings are also not fixed, and parents can decide what everything means before give them to the kid.. Hv fun :tlaugh:

When a chinese baby turns one year old, it is time to make | SweetieTots

CanCanMum

can i use this tradition and celebrate 4th birthday?????

i hope he will become a doctor leh.......heeee.....

too late mah????

autumn82

Doc not good enuff... Chicken Rice Magnate!! Then franchise all over the world.. Best.. :p Think of the $$... LOL.

autumn82

Coz, usually when ppl dunno wat to eat, first thing comes into the mind would be "anything la, get me chicken rice". Wouldn't ur baby be richie rich everyone eats tt? :p LOL.

But but, if wanna venture to other foods also can!! Heh. :p

CanCanMum

maybe i target wanton mee....coz everytime i ask my DH wanna eat wad he 9 times out of 10 will say wanton mee.

but wanton mee magnate doesnt sound v good hor....

autumn82

Can also.. Wantan mee magnate, but hor, must find the secret of keeping the noodles nice by the time they reached the customers' place, otherwise soggy noodles no one likes.. LOL.