Help in burping newborn

My baby turning 1 mth soon. She doesn't like to burp. Always burp her she get veryfrustrated cos she will get waken up. But cannot dun burp ma. Afew times already. She nv burp then she struggle and vomit the milk out and sometimes hiccup. Doc say normal. Gave me colic drops but it doesn't really help oso. Only let her fart more. It breaks my heart to see her keep vomit the milk out then have to carry her pat her then she slp back. How?? Even my mum have a hard time getting her to burp. Put on shoulder or sit up oso hard. Any mums gt better ways to let her burp?? :embarrassed:

Phyllis15

The same with my boy who is 5 month plus now. So i let him lay on my chest after milk and rub his back and quite effective and doesn't wake him up as well.

tigerlily88

Hey there,
My baby is 1 month old too,gave birth to him on the 22nd of sep but he was prematured(born at 35weeks and 4 days)..and seriously what u are going thru is exactly what im going thru.I asked the doctor before how come its hard to burp him and he said that sometimes they just doesnt have any air to burp after fed.in a day i have to change his clothes few times cos he will vomit it out and goes all over his clothes.and I always worries about him choking...but what i did when he is really really sleepy after feeding,try few times to burp but if it doesnt work i will lay him flat on his front and of cos make sure that his head is at the side,so he can breathe..but i have to watch out for him when i do this sleepin position cos i have to make sure that his head is at the side so he can breathe.but that works when he is really sleepy but when he is awake and i cant burp him then that is the hardest part.I hope to get a solution too...

My mum fed her a lil gripe water but she farts more than burp. Ok

I just tried this for 2 feeds. It helps her burp. My girl drinks abt 70ml formula milk. So every 25-30 ml. I will pull out her bottle. Sit her upright, my hand on her chest and fingers holding her neck area with her face and burp her. She did it! She burp at least 2 times during feeds. The last burp after she finish her milk will be 5-10mins later. I will let her rest on my arm tilted higher. Then burp her after that. So far for 2 feeds doing fine! I'll try again later and see if it works !!

Mummy to Baby V

My home-visit nurse taught me to do tummy massage which helped baby to fart very effectively.

And back massage, then bring baby up to burp.

When burping my gassy boy, I sit him on my lap, support his neck, make sure his back is as straight as possible, rub his tummy a little, then stroke his back. If he can't burp, then lay him down to sleep. Once he fusses, carry him over shoulder and he'd burp quite easily.

Juz17

My baby turning 1 month soon. She doesn't like to burp. Always burp her she get veryfrustrated cos she will get waken up. But cannot dont burp . Afew times already. She never burp then she struggle and vomit the milk out and sometimes hiccup. Doc say normal. Gave me colic drops but it doesn't really help also. Only let her fart more. It breaks my heart to see her keep vomit the milk out then have to carry her pat her then she sleep back. How?? Even my mum have a hard time getting her to burp. Put on shoulder or sit up also hard. Any mums gt better ways to let her burp?? :embarrassed:
Hi,
I'm a new mum n my boy is 10 days old. We get frustrated when we fail to burp him too. A few times he burped but he still vomit out his milk... N sometimes in his sleep. I concluded that he might be playing with his food.
So anyone got Gd solution for us new mums?

joeybeadz

Hi,
I'm a new mum n my boy is 10 days old. We get frustrated when we fail to burp him too. A few times he burped but he still vomit out his milk... N sometimes in his sleep. I concluded that he might be playing with his food.
So anyone got good solution for us new mums?
U can let his face turn to the side while sleeping, so that the milk will flow out. sometimes, it will take longer for burping. especially when sleepy, they will not burp occassionally.

It is always advisable to burp, especially if you are bottlefeeding as they also suck the air.

Burping is to prevent colic, resulting in a lot of air in their stomach. So to prevent, try to burp after every feed.

You can try a youtube search on how to burp baby.

Juz17

you can let his face turn to the side while sleeping, so that the milk will flow out. sometimes, it will take longer for burping. especially when sleepy, they will not burp occassionally.

It is always advisable to burp, especially if you are bottlefeeding as they also suck the air.

Burping is to prevent colic, resulting in a lot of air in their stomach. So to prevent, try to burp after every feed.

You can try a youtube search on how to burp baby.
Thanks Joey. ;) hubby did a search n we view the video le. Tried the sit up method n his face side on my chest method...so far duno which one works better cos sometimes he burp on this or Tat method. He do fart alot which I think it's a great thing too...perhaps I try gripe water later...:)
Thanks for sharing...

joeybeadz

Thanks Joey. ;) hubby did a search n we view the video . Tried the sit up method n his face side on my chest method...so far dont know which one works better cos sometimes he burp on this or that method. He do fart alot which I think it's a great thing too...perhaps I try gripe water later...:)
Thanks for sharing...
No method is 100% guarantee.. just your luck! heee... sometimes i burped my girl till 30mins haa.. but very tired during wee nights, and I just let it be.

I did massage my baby on her back while she lied on her tummy... then turned her back and put her in sitting position or on my shoulder and tried again...

At least you can try gripe water.. my girl refused bottle...:nah:

Juz17

No method is 100% guarantee.. just your luck! heee... sometimes i burped my girl till 30mins haa.. but very tired during wee nights, and I just let it be.

I did massage my baby on her back while she lied on her tummy... then turned her back and put her in sitting position or on my shoulder and tried again...

At least you can try gripe water.. my girl refused bottle...:nah:
Wah 30 mins!! I admire yr patience! I tink I run out of patient easily...my bad...anyway I'm still in the stage of learning. I can only cradle bb on my left but not right...thanks for suggestion. Btw I read the gripe water is for 1 mth bb onwards??

Wah 30 mins!! I admire yr patience! I tink I run out of patient easily...my bad...anyway I'm still in the stage of learning. I can only cradle baby on my left but not right...thanks for suggestion. Btw I read the gripe water is for 1 month baby onwards??

Gripe wAter just give half the dosage. My mum went to ask the pharmacy. They told her half the dosage of 1 mth old can already. Can mix with water to feed or feed directly. For me I feed kerissa directly and feed her water after that cos it's very sweet. Hehe. As for burping. I found my way already. Break the feeds into 3 times or 2 times. Make sure her back is upright not resting on her on tummy or our hands while supporting her chest and neck. I use my other leg to support her from behind so she's upright and I pat her in circular motion upwards. She will burp!! Now she burp at least once in every feed. If she doesn't wanna burp when drinking half way, I let her finish it, rest on my arms tilted slightly higher for 10-15 mins then burp her. Make sure she doesn't struggle or she will vomit. After all burps, let her rest for 5-10 mins to catch her breathe, then let her slp. If after burping spit abit milk it's alright . As long as not really vomitting everything out can already. So far the method I found do help her burp at least once! Mummies shld give it a try too!

joeybeadz

Wah 30 mins!! I admire yr patience! I tink I run out of patient easily...my bad...anyway I'm still in the stage of learning. I can only cradle baby on my left but not right...thanks for suggestion. Btw I read the gripe water is for 1 month baby onwards??
cos I was very persistent that she must burp mah.. haaa..
well, I also trial and error.. no method is 100% guarantee...

dunno, just ask around..

It's like that, cradle on one side, but when your baby grows bigger, you will learn to cradle the other side too...

Juz17

Hi melody,
Thanks on the tips on gripe water. I will try to feed him later when he wakes up. Oh I tot of trying to burp him in btw feeds too. My son drinks too fast n hard to stop him cos he is a big eater. Hubby Juz say muz make sure bb burp despite hw long it take...will take Tat advice from both of u! Thanks :)

Juz17

cos I was very persistent that she must burp mah.. haaa..
well, I also trial and error.. no method is 100% guarantee...

dont know, just ask around..

It's like that, cradle on one side, but when your baby grows bigger, you will learn to cradle the other side too...
Ya hubby Juz mention Tat we muz make sure he burps..:)
Thanks...cos we are so used to doing things with right hand Tats y...

apollo

some babies take longer time to burp. me too, always take 20-30min to burp ds. the nurses told me if aft 30min, still no burping, is ok, just place the baby slightly 'tilt' up, maybe ard 30-45degree up on the bed. can use nursing pillow. we have an adult pillow which is very flat for adults but 'high' enough to tilt infant up. we used that to tilt ds up aft every feeds, even he burped. =)

some babies take longer time to burp. me too, always take 20-30min to burp dear son. the nurses told me if after 30min, still no burping, is ok, just place the baby slightly 'tilt' up, maybe around 30-45degree up on the bed. can use nursing pillow. we have an adult pillow which is very flat for adults but 'high' enough to tilt infant up. we used that to tilt dear son up after every feeds, even he burped. =)

Ya! Same with me but I use her 2 pillows instead. The higher one behind and the lower one below where her shoulders rest. So like a slope. Haha. I think it helps her to breathe better too! At least she doesn't make those loud breathing noises so much already. I can't burp her too long. She gets sweaty and frustrated she will struggle more and leads to vomit . So usually if she doesn't burp I will let her slp b4 she starts her struggling ! My girl too impatient and fierce when she's frustrated! Hard to please her..!

Juz17

some babies take longer time to burp. me too, always take 20-30min to burp dear son. the nurses told me if after 30min, still no burping, is ok, just place the baby slightly 'tilt' up, maybe around 30-45degree up on the bed. can use nursing pillow. we have an adult pillow which is very flat for adults but 'high' enough to tilt infant up. we used that to tilt dear son up after every feeds, even he burped. =)
Oh! Currently my son is nt sleeping on any pillow...I dun have nursing pillow too. Will stack up a few folded cloth nappy works?

Juz17

Ya! Same with me but I use her 2 pillows instead. The higher one behind and the lower one below where her shoulders rest. So like a slope. Haha. I think it helps her to breathe better too! At least she doesn't make those loud breathing noises so much already. I can't burp her too long. She gets sweaty and frustrated she will struggle more and leads to vomit . So usually if she doesn't burp I will let her sleep before she starts her struggling ! My girl too impatient and fierce when she's frustrated! Hard to please her..!
My boy also impatient n hard to please. I see him cry so hard I heart pain...

joeybeadz

Oh! Currently my son is not sleeping on any pillow...I dont have nursing pillow too. Will stack up a few folded cloth nappy works?
I never use any pillow in her earlier days.. yeah, I used cloth nappy. But turned her face to the side..

Now she is bigger, she also dun like to sleep on pillow. The moment I put her head on the pillow, she will auto slide off the pilliow... same goes for the bloaster.. haa.. i guess I can save some money... heee