HELP! Why do i have lump in the underarm?

vivikool

Today is the forth day since my baby is borned. I have been trying to latch her on every 2-3 hrly since day 2. So far, did not see any liquid until today, manage to see some drops of colostrum on my nipples.

In the morning, I felt breasts are kinda full and now I notice there is a lump in my underarm on both sides. I tried using hot towel to relief the soreness and let my baby latch on (about 15 min each side) and also tried to pump after that but the lumps are still there!

Why do i have the lumps? Am i having engorgement? but i did not see any real milk coming, so far only some colostrum.

Any mummies with similar experience to share? how to get rid of them?

Hi just to assure you that it's normal becos I'd experienced that too during the first week after I gave birth. I believe engorgement and block ducts are the cause. Now into the 3rd week my engorgement are much better and condition of block ducts improve a lot thru massaging breast. The lump is gone. However you might want to check with a lactation consultant if you are able to.

Last edited:

k-mom

me too. i had a huge lump in my right armpit during the first week when i had engorgement but it cleared after i expressed milk.

veron

I also experienced that during the first few weeks after i gave birth. I believe it's due to engorgement. It will go off by itself once the engorgement got better. My milk only comes in after the fifth day so dun worry. Just rest well,, eat well and keep yourself hydrated. You wouldn't be able to produce enough milk if you are too stress up. So relax and enjoy your time with your bb.

CanCanMum

yup me too have a huge lump about the size of a lime at the underarm....

after pumping out bm it goes away~~~

btw my bm only came in on the 6th day after delivery~~~

akachan09

Hi

Dun worry, just like what those mummies have mentioned above. It might be just milk duct. I have a small lump under my armpit too. It has been there for 5 months plus. My gynae told me that this lump will exist as long as I breastfeed my baby.

vanessadejager

Yes, I also had a lump at my armpit if I failed to express every three hours. As long as you keep expressing or feeding, the lump will go away. You can try putting a hot towel on the lump to soothe it. Hope this helps. :Dancing_tongue:

uddermummy

it takes some time for the mature milk to come in. In the meantime, you will first only get colostrum, which is liquid gold!, and then transitional milk.

Don't worry too much abt the amt of colostrum cos the amt produced is not a lot, but whatever is produced is enough for bb cos bb's stomach is v small when just born.

i had the lumps also when i had engorgement but once my breastfeeding is established, the lumps went away.

jia you!

vivikool

thanks mummies! my lumps have gotten smaller and softer, no pain le.. the hot towel compression method + massage really helps! And my milk flow has increase slowly.. but still not enuff to feed my hungry bb! Will Jia You!!!!

uddermummy

hi vivikool,

it takes some for the milk supply to be established, so whenever you think bb is hungry, just latch bb on and let him suckle, even if you think that nothing is coming out.

try to avoid giving water or formula milk, cos they will take away bb's appetite for your milk, and when your bb doesn't suckle often, your breasts won't produce milk.

and newborns need to be fed very frequently, so don't feel pressured by pple who tell you that your bb is hungry because you don't have enough milk. Newborns just have to be fed frequently cos their stomachs are small and can't hold too much milk. :)