Help!!!

tsquare

Hi Mummies

Its almost 2 weeks since i gave birth to my baby girl... But i am having difficulty trying to let my baby latch on. Currently she is drinking fm. Any mummies out there encounter this issue before? Any tips for baby to latch on?

Phoebii Cheng

You have to be patient when u latch bb on....and now u give her fm, all the more it will be difficult to latch on.....if you are determined, then just latch her on and dun give her fm

Cos the bottle is easier to suck, whereas for latching, ur bb need more energy to suckle....

If you really have difficulty in latching on, maybe u can give the breastfeeding support group a call or where do u give birth? the other time I went back to KKH to look for the lactation nurse to help me with latching my boy

maichiang

it takes a lot of effort..for 1st time moms,its diff to reassure that you are doing it right..

i would advice u to try to latch as much as possible...everytime u noe tt c is getting hungry,latch on instead of hurrily givin fm..and definitely try not to make fm..fm shld onli be the last-est choice..

sumhow i feel babies know how to latch on naturally..make sure most of your areola is in her mouth,her chin is resting on ya breast..c makes suckling sound..u can always feel at the back of the nape,the swallowing action..

it takes time,dun worry..i used to feed mi boi fm too..didnt realise every fm feed could lessen mi dream of TBF..bt luckily i chanced upon diz site,and i got to know a lot of things...1 important advice i got was to latch on as much as possible..after seeing diz advice upteem times in several threads,i decided to lay off fm till mi boi is die die still crying cz of hunger..slowly slowly..after a mnth n half, i finally got to TBF and i am still TBF..n LOVIN it..gd luck!

ast0212

Maybe try baby-led attachment? I wish I had known about this earlier so I could try it too.

Basically you take off your bra and top, and take of baby's clothes as well except for nappy, then make yourself comfortable sitting down and put baby on your belly with head near your breasts then allow baby to find your nipple and latch on. You'll need lots of patience doing this.

There's a more detailed guide here:

Australian Breastfeeding Association - Baby-led attachment

It really takes practice for baby to latch on, as they are still learning. I found with my son he latched perfectly after about 3 months, before he would be looking up and down for the nipple and crying even though it was there right in front of him. Don't give up and resort to formula because breastfeeding takes a while to get the hang of :)