~ High Blood Pressure & Bedrest ~

izanyzam

Hello mummies and MTBs...!!

I just went for my 34th plus week checkup today with my gynae @ Thomson Medical..Unfortunately they detected my blood pressure to be super high..The nurse took several readings and all came up high..My blood pressure was 150/110...!!!:eek::eek:

I had my blood drawn and sent for tests because the pressure was extremely high (normal BP would be around 120/80..??) Me and hubby spent the next hour waiting for the results...Lucky it came back ok as confirmed by my gynae..

I was given the pill Methyldopa (2 tablets daily) to help lower down my BP..Was also told to get myself a blood pressure monitor and i need to monitor my BP for this whole week..

I was also given 1 week MC and ordered by my gynae to have strict bedrest (he jokingly told me not to use this as an excuse to go out shopping...!!)..Lucky i already did most of my shopping since 3 months ago..!!!

I am extremely worried as my gynae said that he would hope that i could keep my pregnancy till i reach my 40th week but if my BP continues to be this high,he might have to induce me when i reach 37 weeks (dats like 2 and a half more weeks to go...!!!)But thankfully my baby is doing well..At 34 weeks,he weighs 2.8kg..:001_302:

Would like to know has any mummies experienced extremely high blood pressure towards the end of their pregnancy..?? Any advice on how to lower down the blood pressure..?? Was told by my confinement lady to either eat green apples or blend celery sticks with tumeric and tamarind juice..

Appreciate your kind inputs...!!!

jasobias

Oh dear thts terrible.Just rest tonnes.Ya i heard fr my mum tumeric lowers BP.Coz she takes a spoonful of it mixed with warm water n some lime every morning.Not only her BP was lowered,she also didnt haveto take meds anymore.U cld try tht.Tumeric got lots of healing qualities i think.
N gd thing ru baby is big already so in worst case scenario even if they have to deliver u earliler..even b4 37 weeks baby wld do just well.
Take care n hope u get well soon!!

izanyzam

Oh dear thts terrible.Just rest tonnes.Ya i heard fr my mum tumeric lowers BP.Coz she takes a spoonful of it mixed with warm water n some lime every morning.Not only her BP was lowered,she also didnt haveto take meds anymore.you cld try tht.Tumeric got lots of healing qualities i think.
N good thing ru baby is big already so in worst case scenario even if they have to deliver you earliler..even before 37 weeks baby wld do just well.
Take care n hope you get well soon!!
Hi jasobias...So i guess i will try the tumeric blend then...Thanks so much for your comforting words...I have been worried the whole day since i came back from my check up...I was even crying a bit when i should be resting..!!!:shyxxx:

candy_ian

high BP during pregnancy esp late trimester have to b carefully monitored as it may cause pre eclampsia.
b extra cautious in your diet, low in salt intake. And bcos of your high bp when u lie down to standing up b careful as it may cause giddy spells as it usually comes together with postural hypertension. Take a rest b4 u start walking. There may b a sudden drop of bp when u get up.
Take care!

izanyzam

high BP during pregnancy esp late trimester have to b carefully monitored as it may cause pre eclampsia.
b extra cautious in your diet, low in salt intake. And bcos of your high bp when you lie down to standing up b careful as it may cause giddy spells as it usually comes together with postural hypertension. Take a rest before you start walking. There may b a sudden drop of bp when you get up.
Take care!
Hi candy...Yup was told about this by the pharmacist esp since im taking medication for my high BP...Thanks for sharing this info...Appreciate it..!!

diymummy

I just went for my 34th plus week checkup today with my gynae @ Thomson Medical..Unfortunately they detected my blood pressure to be super high..The nurse took several readings and all came up high..My blood pressure was 150/110...!!!:eek::eek:

I had my blood drawn and sent for tests because the pressure was extremely high (normal BP would be around 120/80..??) Me and hubby spent the next hour waiting for the results...Lucky it came back ok as confirmed by my gynae..

I was given the pill Methyldopa (2 tablets daily) to help lower down my BP..Was also told to get myself a blood pressure monitor and i need to monitor my BP for this whole week..

I was also given 1 week MC and ordered by my gynae to have strict bedrest (he jokingly told me not to use this as an excuse to go out shopping...!!)..Lucky i already did most of my shopping since 3 months ago..!!!

I am extremely worried as my gynae said that he would hope that i could keep my pregnancy till i reach my 40th week but if my BP continues to be this high,he might have to induce me when i reach 37 weeks (that is like 2 and a half more weeks to go...!!!)But thankfully my baby is doing well..At 34 weeks,he weighs 2.8kg..:001_302:

Would like to know has any mummies experienced extremely high blood pressure towards the end of their pregnancy..?? Any advice on how to lower down the blood pressure..?? Was told by my confinement lady to either eat green apples or blend celery sticks with tumeric and tamarind juice..

Hi izanyzam mummy,

I had the same case as you.

The condition is called pre-eclampsia.

I was given that drug you had when I was at 32 weeks but it failed to bring down my blood pressure.

I went to see my gynae at 36wks and he just broke the news to me. My blood pressure was even higher than yours. It was 177/120. Then I went for emergency c-sect the very next day as my gynae said it is life endangering both for me and my baby.

So please do follow strictly your bedrest.

It's good that your baby is already 2.8kg. My baby was only 2.3kg at birth at 36wks.

iwan2noe

I am extremely worried as my gynae said that he would hope that i could keep my pregnancy till i reach my 40th week but if my BP continues to be this high,he might have to induce me when i reach 37 weeks (that is like 2 and a half more weeks to go...!!!)But thankfully my baby is doing well..At 34 weeks,he weighs 2.8kg..:001_302:

Hi izanyzam,

Hope ur blood pressure can go down soon. Remb to take more rest since u r "ordered' by ur gynae... Must listen to what ur gynae say, sure no wrong.

Do u have High BP b4 and during pregnancy b4 u r tested now? I all along pressure is normal, and I am worried tt I will have high BP when i reach my 30plus wks of pregnancy...

Pls rest well and more and hope ur pressure will come down to normal soon!
Hugs!
update us again :]:wong19:

haffa

Take care of urself Izan. The good news is that ur baby is growing well. The most important thing now is for u to take ur medicine regularly and have plenty of rest.

I am sure everything will be ok...few more weeks to go. U can do it babe! Hugzzzz...:)

adelynn

Hi izanyzam

High BP plus other symptoms leads to a condition called pre-eclampsia. And the only 'cure' is to deliver the baby. I was also diagnosed with it and is also currently on bed rest as well.

It is important to monitor your BP at fixed frequencies of the day to see if there are any 'trending' of your BP and if there are any underlying issues or triggers to high BP. You will also need to be aware of other triggers like a headache that simply won't go away, BP exceeding 140/90, and sharp pain in your right rib case and below. According to my gynae, these are some symptoms on the on-set of fits/seizures, which we are tryin to avoid. The most important thing is to take things easy and just do what you feel you are up to doing and not push yourself as well.

As for food wise, my mum is putting me on daily 'dose' of celery juice & apple juice; supposedly to help with high BP. For me, i don't see that much of a drop in my BP (yet).

Good thing your boy is already 2.8KG at 34 weeks, relatively good size even if you have to deliver early.

Please take care and don't worry too much.

sufeit0115

Hi, u must take plenty of rest, low salt diet and keep close monitoring of your blood pressure, also do watch out other pre-eclampsia symptoms like:-

-Headaches
-Blurring of vision
-Abdominal pain(mainly upper part of abdomen, under the ribs)
-SUDDEN swelling of feet/hand/face (i do get swollen feet/hand, but gynae said it's not due to my bp, so don't be paranoid as some will get swollen feet at the end of day due to water retention problem at last trimester)

I was on bp medication even before i am pregnant...gynae changed my medicine to methyldopa (initially 3 times a day, now reducing to 1 time a day). Gynae told me i have very high risk of getting pre-eclampsia (high blood pressure plus protein in urine), i am on close monitoring even from 1st trimester. I will do another detailed scanning to check the growth of baby & weight at 35 weeks to see whether need to induce earlier. (Tough wood~~) so far methlydopa keep my bp under control, so i think you will be fine.

Don't worry too much and must think all the good things to keep your mood joyful, i believe this will help to lower the bp too!! Your baby has been growing well so just hang on to 37 weeks....As your high blood is pregnancy-induced, most likely your bp will reduce to normal after delivery. haiz for me it's a life long battle against the condition :shyxxx:.

izanyzam

Hi izanyzam mummy,

I had the same case as you.

The condition is called pre-eclampsia.

I was given that drug you had when I was at 32 weeks but it failed to bring down my blood pressure.

I went to see my gynae at 36wks and he just broke the news to me. My blood pressure was even higher than yours. It was 177/120. Then I went for emergency c-sect the very next day as my gynae said it is life endangering both for me and my baby.

So please do follow strictly your bedrest.

It's good that your baby is already 2.8kg. My baby was only 2.3kg at birth at 36wks.
Hi diymummy...I am so sorry to hear about your emergency c-sect but thank God your baby is doing fine now..!!! My gynae did not mention or confirmed that im having pre-eclampsia as i do not have any other symptoms like swelling or giddiness..My blood pressure has always been high throughout my whole pregnancy but that day during the check-up,it was superrrr high...!!! I have been taking the medication and it seems to help lower down my BP..Have been monitoring my BP with a blood pressure monitor that my dearest MIL bought for me...( i lurveeeee her...!!!).And i have also been in bed most of the time...Its hard not being able to do anything or go anywhere but im trying my best...Thanks for your kind thoughts diymummy...!!!

izanyzam

Hi izanyzam,

Hope your blood pressure can go down soon. Remb to take more rest since you are "ordered' by your gynae... Must listen to what your gynae say, sure no wrong.

Do you have High BP before and during pregnancy before you are tested now? I all along pressure is normal, and I am worried that I will have high BP when i reach my 30plus wks of pregnancy...

Pls rest well and more and hope your pressure will come down to normal soon!
Hugs!
update us again :]:wong19:
Hi iwan2noe...!!! Yup my blood pressure has always been high throughout my pregnancy..Only on that particular day,it peaked at the highest...But i wasnt having any swelling or any giddiness..And yes since i have been ordered to rest..I can use that as an excuse not to do any housework...Poor hubby...!!! Heehee.. :001_302::001_302: Thanks for your comforting words...!!! *hugs back* And im sure your BP will be as normal as they were all along...Dont worry about it babe esp when the nurse is taking the reading...!!!

izanyzam

Take care of yourself Izan. The good news is that your baby is growing well. The most important thing now is for you to take your medicine regularly and have plenty of rest.

I am sure everything will be ok...few more weeks to go. you can do it babe! Hugzzzz...:)
Thanks so much for your comforting words Haffa...Insya-Allah...I will be able to make it as far as my pregnancy can tahan...!!! Hopefully i will be able to reach the 40th week mark...But if gynae says we have to takde drastic measures,den i shall do it..For the sake of me and my baby's health...!!! I will have to take my BP reading every day till my next check up on the 26th Oct...Hopefully my blood pressure will improve...!!! *hugzz back* :001_302:

izanyzam

Hi izanyzam

High BP plus other symptoms leads to a condition called pre-eclampsia. And the only 'cure' is to deliver the baby. I was also diagnosed with it and is also currently on bed rest as well.

It is important to monitor your BP at fixed frequencies of the day to see if there are any 'trending' of your BP and if there are any underlying issues or triggers to high BP. You will also need to be aware of other triggers like a headache that simply won't go away, BP exceeding 140/90, and sharp pain in your right rib case and below. According to my gynae, these are some symptoms on the on-set of fits/seizures, which we are tryin to avoid. The most important thing is to take things easy and just do what you feel you are up to doing and not push yourself as well.

As for food wise, my mum is putting me on daily 'dose' of celery juice & apple juice; supposedly to help with high BP. For me, i dont't see that much of a drop in my BP (yet).

Good thing your boy is already 2.8KG at 34 weeks, relatively good size even if you have to deliver early.

Please take care and dont't worry too much.
Hi adelynn...I dont mean to sound rude but it is kind of comforting to know that there are other mum-to-be's who are also experiencing the same problem as me...At least i have people to voice my concerns with...I pray and hope that your blood pressure will also improve soon..I have been resting quite a lot since i came back from my check-up although im finding it hard to just lie in bed and not do anything...As im staying alone in my own house with my hubby,i still do get up and do the laundry coz its pilling up and to make matters worse,hubby is on a two-week reservist call-up...!!!! Arghhhhh...!!!

Anyways,i really hope our health will improve and pray that God will give us the strength to continue with our pregnancy...For the sake of our babies,we just have to watch our diet and hand in there just a little bit more...!! *hugs* :001_302::001_302:

Cor

I had the same problem and my BP was 140. My then gynae kept insisting that my BP is normal and not high although repeated referrals to him by GP who was even more concerned than my gynae haha..

Anyway, I got worried as high BP is pretty serious so I went to KK and requested for a thorough checkup to be done, hoping for a peace of mind. It was during the checks that my water bag broke and they delayed my birth as baby was only 33weeks 2 days. Anyway, thankfully like yours, my baby was growing well and he was 2.5kg though premature.

As for tumeric, I am not sure if it is suitable for pregnant women coz I have heard that too much heaty food during last tri would result in baby having jaundice. My son's jaundice was very bad plus he was premature so every other day, he gets poked for blood to monitor his situation.. so poor thing..

For high BP, it is very important to keep off seafood and eat less salty food. Also, please relax and dont't worry too much. Coz afterall, should you deliver at 37 weeks or after, your baby is more or less considered full term already.

Please take good care of yourself and stay happy :)

Last edited:

izanyzam

Hi, you must take plenty of rest, low salt diet and keep close monitoring of your blood pressure, also do watch out other pre-eclampsia symptoms like:-

-Headaches
-Blurring of vision
-Abdominal pain(mainly upper part of abdomen, under the ribs)
-SUDDEN swelling of feet/hand/face (i do get swollen feet/hand, but gynae said it's not due to my bp, so dont't be paranoid as some will get swollen feet at the end of day due to water retention problem at last trimester)

I was on bp medication even before i am pregnant...gynae changed my medicine to methyldopa (initially 3 times a day, now reducing to 1 time a day). Gynae told me i have very high risk of getting pre-eclampsia (high blood pressure plus protein in urine), i am on close monitoring even from 1st trimester. I will do another detailed scanning to check the growth of baby & weight at 35 weeks to see whether need to induce earlier. (Tough wood~~) so far methlydopa keep my bp under control, so i think you will be fine.

dont't worry too much and must think all the good things to keep your mood joyful, i believe this will help to lower the bp too!! Your baby has been growing well so just hang on to 37 weeks....As your high blood is pregnancy-induced, most likely your bp will reduce to normal after delivery. sigh for me it's a life long battle against the condition :shyxxx:.
Hi sufeit...I am so sorry to hear about your life-long battle with high blood pressure...Now that we are pregnant,i guess the stakes are higher and we should really take every precautions to ensure the health of both ours and our babies...I hope that your upcoming detailed scanning will be a good one and im sure that your baby is healthy and fine as you are taking good care of yourself..

I will keep a lookout for all the signs and symptoms of pre-eclampsia...Was reminded by my gynae and nurses to straight away go to the hospital if i were to feel giddy or have any swelling..But so far,for the past 2 days,i have only been feeling nauseous...But the last check of my BP was 119/95 as compared to 150/110...!!!!

Though im happy and thankful that my baby is growing well..Even my gynae has confirmed that my baby is fine..So i just hope and pray that i could last a bit more longer and have a safe delivery...Thanks for your advice and comforting words sis...You take good care of yourself too yah...!!! :001_302:

izanyzam

I had the same problem and my BP was 140. My then gynae kept insisting that my BP is normal and not high although repeated referrals to him by GP who was even more concerned than my gynae haha..

Anyway, I got worried as high BP is pretty serious so I went to KK and requested for a thorough checkup to be done, hoping for a peace of mind. It was during the checks that my water bag broke and they delayed my birth as baby was only 33weeks 2 days. Anyway, thankfully like yours, my baby was growing well and he was 2.5kg though premature.

As for tumeric, I am not sure if it is suitable for pregnant women coz I have heard that too much heaty food during last tri would result in baby having jaundice. My son's jaundice was very bad plus he was premature so every other day, he gets poked for blood to monitor his situation.. so poor thing..

For high BP, it is very important to keep off seafood and eat less salty food. Also, please relax and dont't worry too much. Coz afterall, once you deliver at 37 weeks, your baby is more or less considered full term already.

Please take good care of yourself and stay happy :)
Hi Cor...Sooooo sorry to hear about what your baby had to go through esp the part when he kena poked every other day..Breaks my heart juz reading about it...But thank God,im sure your baby is doing fine now..!!!

So far,i havent had the tumeric and celery blend...So i will take note about the tumeric being heaty for pregnancy...Thanks for the input babe..So far ive only been taking the green apples daily...Im trying my best to help lower down my BP and monitoring it using the BP machine..

I didnt know that i shld stop taking seafood coz nowadays,i suddenly have the craving for it...!!! Heeeehhhee..!!! Although my gynae says its best too reach 40weeks,he did mention that at 37 weeks,the baby is considered full-term already...So hopefully i can tahan as long as i can...Thanks for your advice and comforting words...!!! *hugs* :001_302:

Cor

Hi Cor...Sooooo sorry to hear about what your baby had to go through esp the part when he kena poked every other day..Breaks my heart just reading about it...But thank God,im sure your baby is doing fine now..!!!

So far,i havent had the tumeric and celery blend...So i will take note about the tumeric being heaty for pregnancy...Thanks for the input babe..So far ive only been taking the green apples daily...Im trying my best to help lower down my BP and monitoring it using the BP machine..

I didnt know that i shld stop taking seafood coz nowadays,i suddenly have the craving for it...!!! Heeeehhhee..!!! Although my gynae says its best too reach 40weeks,he did mention that at 37 weeks,the baby is considered full-term already...So hopefully i can tahan as long as i can...Thanks for your advice and comforting words...!!! *hugs* :001_302:
Yeah, I had to walk away most of the times when he was poked for blood initially. Then later on, I just told myself I need to be brave for him so I just held back tears each time he cries. Yes thank goodness, he is doing fine now :)

Np prob gal coz my son went through the trauma coz I ate durians often which is very heaty so dont't wish others to suffer the same fate. But it is also thanks to the durians I ate, that my son is of good weight at 2.5kg though he was premature. And somehow, there are people who associate jaundice with yellow/ orange coloured foods like ginger, tumeric, durians, carrots etc.

My daddy has high BP so he is always advised by doctors to keep off seafood (fish is ok), possibly red meats and salt in order to keep his BP in check. Even my concerned GP told me the same when I had high BP during my preg so I trust that there is bound to be some truth in it.

*Hugs* you please take good care of yourself. Be a good girl and stay in bed as much as you can. Do not worry too much and all should be well. God bless.

izanyzam

Yeah, I had to walk away most of the times when he was poked for blood initially. Then later on, I just told myself I need to be brave for him so I just held back tears each time he cries. Yes thank goodness, he is doing fine now :)

Np prob gal coz my son went through the trauma coz I ate durians often which is very heaty so dont't wish others to suffer the same fate. But it is also thanks to the durians I ate, that my son is of good weight at 2.5kg though he was premature. And somehow, there are people who associate jaundice with yellow/ orange coloured foods like ginger, tumeric, durians, carrots etc.

My daddy has high BP so he is always advised by doctors to keep off seafood (fish is ok), possibly red meats and salt in order to keep his BP in check. Even my concerned GP told me the same when I had high BP during my preg so I trust that there is bound to be some truth in it.

*Hugs* you please take good care of yourself. Be a good girl and stay in bed as much as you can. Do not worry too much and all should be well. God bless.
Hi Cor..Im sure it was a heartbreaking sight to see your baby getting poked but in the end,its good that you have the courage to be strong for your baby..Glad to know that baby's fine now.. :001_302:

I stopped taking durians as soon as i was told by my confinement lady that its heaty..I used to be quite stubborn and not listen to every word of advice from people esp when all they have in mind is concern for my pregnancy..But i know that it is my responsibility to take care of myself and my growing baby..

I do hope that your daddy is in good health esp since he has high BP...I heard that if we have a family history of high blood pressure then the chances of us also having it are also higher..Same as for diabetes which my late-mum has but thank God,my sugar level has been ok so far..

As for now,i try to be a good girl and stay in bed and watch my diet...My hubby will definitely make sure i do all that...HeeHee...Thanks for being so comforting and sharing your advices babe..Appreciate it..!! :001_302:

Cor

I used to be quite stubborn and not listen to every word of advice from people esp when all they have in mind is concern for my pregnancy..But i know that it is my responsibility to take care of myself and my growing baby..
Very well said gal. :) The beauty of motherhood makes most MTBs more sensible and less wilful. At the end of the day, we are answerable for our own actions and we are "housing/ housed" our babies so we should be responsible to shelter them from any possible harm as well, to the best of our capabilities.

I do hope that your daddy is in good health esp since he has high BP...I heard that if we have a family history of high blood pressure then the chances of us also having it are also higher..Same as for diabetes which my late-mum has but thank God,my sugar level has been ok so far..
Tk you for your kind concern, my dad is doing good so far. Yeah, the chances are higher but I believe with extra care, we could all be victors to hereditary issues or at least minimize the chances :)

As for now,i try to be a good girl and stay in bed and watch my diet...My hubby will definitely make sure i do all that...HeeHee...Thanks for being so comforting and sharing your advices babe..Appreciate it..!! :001_302:
Hey izanyzam, you're most welcome but dont need to thank me. Being a mother myself, I know how it feels so I just wish to be of help. Enjoy your pregnancy gal :)