how did you stop breastmilk supply

Hi mummies out there need a little help with regards to breastfeeding. I didnt breastfeed my first child but now have decided to breastfeed my second. I read online that going cold turkey for 48-72hours will do the trick and stop most of the milk. I have went cold turkey for 4 days yet my breasts still wouldnt stop leaking and once I remove my sports bra both sides will start spraying out milk. I have neither expressed nor latched the baby on since I decided to stop. For those mummies out there who produce the same amount of milk 36-40oz (1.06litres to 1.18litres) a day, can you please give some advice? is it normal that the milk wont stop until this point? and when should I expect my breasts to stop leaking?

mangobees

Whoa with that much milk output you cant expect to dry up in 4days... I'll give it 2wks. Try pumping out some (not to empty) if you get blocked ducts to relieve pain.

But i must add...i wld continue if i had that much milk to give my newborn! :p

For my first child, i got a pill from my gp to stop my breastmilk supply. it was effective though im not too sure whether it was the best move. But then again I didn't breastfeed my eldest child much.

I fully breastfed my 2nd child and didnt stop and continued with the 3rd now. If u have that much milk, do give to your child. If you want to stop the supply naturally, it might take quite a while for the body to stop supplying.

hi mummies thx for advice. I decided to stop because i had mastitis (breast infection) twice during the 3 mths that i breast fed and had to go on 2 courses of antibiotics. The high fever along with the medication has left me feeling very weak and when my baby was a mth old i already had to go back to school so it became very taxing for me. it's almost been 2 weeks since i stopped. i decided to visit a GP to get medication to stop. it still sprays but no longer as engorged so i take it that its a good sign. I also know breast milk is the best but i find it difficult to cope. luckily i stored enough to do mixed feedings half day feeding formula and half day breast milk for 2mths so she has time to slowly adjust to formula milk

I undrstnd hw u feel. For my 1st child, i had similar experience as urs. Mastitis twice n i was also doing part time studies. Do not feel guilty. At least u tried n u hv enuf ebm stored for mixed feeding. I wasnt even able to express more than 10ml then.

Anyway, all the best to u :)

cn naz

Hi, I got pills from my gynae to stop my milk. Engorgement and getting massage twice were a painful experience to me. Tried to pump exclusively, too, since my baby wouldn't latch correctly. I got sick a lot and got tired of being stuck with breast pumps. So after 3 weeks++, I asked my doc for help and she gave me this pills to stop milk. After 3 days, no more milk.

oh so lucky. it took the pills for a week and wear a tight bra 24hrs a day. it seemed like things were improving. but now its been almost a week since i finished taking the pills but milk in both breasts seem to be coming back again. breasts start to hurt and can feel it harder and being filled with milk. before i took the pill i went cold turkey for 4 days and had the massage for 6days, initially my massage lady told me no medication was needed just massage for 2-3days shld be resolved by then. but no improvement by 4th day so i took the pills and had the massage done a total of 6days

Hi,

Saw on a Taiwanese tv program that eating jiu cai will reduce milk flow. U may want to try. That can be easily found in jiu cai dumplings

JJ2011

Hi, I m also taking the pill now ( almost 3 days alrdy). I don't feel pain but feel weird. After I pump out, feel good. Is it normal?? If I don't feel pain, that mean I no need pump it out. Am I right?

Angpq

Hi,

I am breast feeding and will top up with formula milk if my baby still not full. Is that ok?

Last edited:
Hi,

I am breast feeding and will top up with formula milk if my baby still not full. Is that ok?
yup it is better than letting the baby go hungry. after stopping my baby on breastmilk she now prefers the formula milk. past 2 weeks i have just been throwing away all the breastmilk coz she rather have formula

Angpq

yup it is better than letting the baby go hungry. after stopping my baby on breastmilk she now prefers the formula milk. past 2 weeks i have just been throwing away all the breastmilk coz she rather have formula
How you stop your milk? Also take medicine?

cn naz

Angpq:693717 said:
Hi,

Do you want to continue? Coz some doctors suggest for the baby to keep on latching to increase breastmilk.

Angpq

Do you want to continue? Coz some doctors suggest for the baby to keep on latching to increase breastmilk.
Yes. I will continue minimum 3 months. Is good for mummy n baby right? Sometime too lazy to breast feed, will give my baby formula milk.

How you stop your milk? Also take medicine?
yup as u can see in my first post going cold turkey didnt help. so no choice. been about 3 weeks since i stopped. stopped on the 27th of Aug. Still will have some milk leaking but alot better already. the hard lumps are almost gone.

charlenelim

yup as you can see in my first post going cold turkey didnt help. so no choice. been about 3 weeks since i stopped. stopped on the 27th of Aug. Still will have some milk l
eaking but alot better already. the hard lumps are almost gone.
Hey, I was told by my nanny tt eating cabbage will stop/reduce milk supply. No harm trying though. :)