How do you encourage your baby to crawl?

spoonie

My girl can only wriggle her way backwards when i give her tummy times on the floor/mattress/bed. Very often she gets irritated after 10-15mins and make a fuss so that i will pick her up.

I tried to place items that she is interested in front of her and she will reach her hands out trying to grab it.

I know she will reach every milestone eventually... so i do not need to stress her to crawl etc :) just wanna do something interactive to encourage her hehehe.

When can your babies crawl?

Last edited:

stonston

mine started crawling properly at 5mths....NIGHTMARE!!!
my boi is felt in a large play yard where he has enough space to crawl n explore...

Angelmum

How do you encourage your baby to crawl?
1) lie bb tummy on mat, u sit 2m away to watch TV/surf net. Take yr time for bb to come fwd, pretend u didnt c bb angry or cry
2) place a musical toy 1 arm length n u watch - not instant unless yr bb already a crawler

CynCyn

Alot of ppl say when babies start to crawl they'll crawl backwards first . How true is that ?

Mine I observe that he's learning to crawl now and moving backwards instead of forward .

cendrine

To encourage your bb to crawl, let him/ her spend more time on the floor on his tummy. I know there are some parents buy the knee-pad for the comfort of crawling. But I didn't get those. I used rubber mat instead...

Musical toys help to encourage crawling forward too. :)

Agnes Josephine

My ds started gliding forward & backwards when he's about 4-5 months... Now he can crawk on his fours forward... But sometimes when he's lazy, he will still use the gliding method, cuz it's faster than he crawl... And he's those gan jiong type... When he see something he like, he will use glide instead of crawl forward to get he toys...:nah:

rjj

Alot of ppl say when babies start to crawl they'll crawl backwards first . How true is that ?

Mine I observe that he's learning to crawl now and moving backwards instead of forward .

yep.... always start backwards.... hehe.... very cute when they do this

Crashz

my gal never did commando crawl, she started at 4 straight at 8mths... we are also puzzled also when we saw that... whereas my elder boy started with backward crawl first

Carol

My Ds crawls backwards too and he's really fast . He almost fell off the bed that day . Be really careful when you put them on the bed if your little ones are crawling backwards .

Leanne

My leroy has began to turn with his body. Sometimes when i let him stand with my hands supporting his body, he starts to walk. He seems v eager to walk. Hehe..

stonston

My leroy has began to turn with his body. Sometimes when i let him stand with my hands supporting his body, he starts to walk. He seems v eager to walk. Hehe..
given e right environment, ur boy could start walking at 9mths!!

spoonie

anybody know of any toys that can simulate crawling?
eg: a crawling baby toy.

my girl can stand with support for a while. Maybe she might skip crawling.... is this good or bad?

lisa_ng

saw this on a US website

The best way to encourage crawling — just as with reaching and grabbing — is to place toys and other desirable objects (even yourself) just beyond your baby's reach. The American Academy of Pediatrics also suggests using pillows, boxes, and sofa cushions to create obstacle courses for him to negotiate. This will help improve his confidence, speed, and agility. Just don't leave him alone — if he gets stuck under a pillow or box, he'll surely be frightened and may be in danger of smothering.

huihui

My son learns to stand 1st b4 he learns to crawl forward.

In the past, if he wan to reach for something in front, he shake his butt, den move backward, sit up, den crawl backward again.. keep repeating until he reach his destination.

Now can crawl forward... no longer backward... but his butt shaking is still there when he crawl...