how much money do you give your parents monthly?

Leahlee

i give my parents $500 per month.. my hubby give my mother in law $1000 (as insisted by mother in law) as she takes care of my gal in the day.. they do not stay with us.. and on weekends when we dine out at restaurants, hubby is usually the one to pay for everyone (including sister In law + her boyfriend).. :)
same here. 500 to my parents, 1k to inlaws..

Gem2505

same here. 500 to my parents, 1k to inlaws..
wa. $1000 is quite a sum man.
currently, i give my parents $500 per month. husband give his parents $300 per month. everytime dine out, parents will pay. only during occasion den we pay. now staying with inlaws but we still stick to $300 per month. coz cant afford to give more.. need to save $ for our love nest and baby fund. child education v ex. start saving even b4 baby arrive nx year =)

Triquetra

I am truly blessed with a great mother, my plan was to give my mom $1k so that she can quit her job and help me to take care of my girl. She used to work from 2+am to 5+pm almost 6 days/week.

As hubby wasn't doing well, my mom insisted on working "part time" (2+am to 9+am) and follow by helping us to take care of my daughter. She always refuses to take our money saying that she doesn't want us to be financially stressed. I have to keep "forcing" her to take the $500 but in the end she will only accept $200.

My elder sister has been taking care of all my dad's expenses. I feel really guilty and ashamed that I am unable to provide more for my parents. Right now, my mom still has to work so hard and help me to take care of my daughter until evening.

My husband isn't giving his parents any monthly allowance but randomly they will "borrow" money from him. His parents aren't really working (freelance) and my husband is paying for their debt and the house utility bill which add to almost 1k per month.

Right now we are trying to save for furnitures/housing and with the intention of sending our daughter to a good childcare soon, I wish to provide more for my own parents but it seems really difficult to plan our financial :(

decoco

so envious on most of your moms, who will reject your money.

My mom sure readily accept my money, and sure expects more. Sometimes I feel so unfair that I feel like telling her, dont need to help take care of my baby, I can send to infant care myself.

I'm currently giving her 600, and recently increase to 1k. Which she happily take without saying anything. Despite the fact that I have a baby on the way, and own commitments. She seem to think i print money.

Wish that I've never told her my salary, and where we go for holidays. Cos she thinks that I'm very rich. And anytime she needs to do dental lah, or some relative baby full month etc, or her temple's monk's bday lah, she will ask me if i want to give ang pao? Is that any of my business? Already give her so much money, why does she want to squeeze me somemore? can't she save from the money i gave her?

Waterlili

I used to give my mum $500 before i got preg & i give nothing to my dad as he was earning better than me.
Now as a SAHM i give nothing to my parents but i pay for my dad's annual insurance which is $800 & my mum i will buy things for her whenever she needs e.g. electrical appliances at home etc.
My husband gives $800 to my in laws but recently my SIL was telling my husband saying tat my MIL complains not enough allowance for her.
Btw my SIL is not working & always go bk my IL's place for lunch & dinner (not working bcoz she simply dun want to). Recently we got ourselves a maid bcoz my ILs doesn't want to help take care of my girl since birth (which is y i quit my job) & nw i'm expecting my no.2. We sent our girl to school while i can concentrate to take care of no.2 next mth when she's out. We even cut down on gg bk my IL's hse for dinner so she can cut dw on marketing.

May i ask what should we do if u were us??? Increase the allowance despite IL not helping us at all??? my husband's monthly commitement to our family is about $7k... which i also feel its suffocating too...

diza

I would only give what I can. To me, my immediate family comes first. My priority and responsibility is towards my family. Not in laws or my own parents. Your in laws should be grateful that your hubby still give them monthly allowance. Times are tougher now. We need to think about our little ones as well and ensure that their well being is taken care of.

Rye

Am along same lines as Diza. We give a consistent amt per month to each side with our kids coming first. Some things tho cannot be changed such as CNY celebration. The red packets remain the same each year fr day 1. Do wat u can. Great if parents understand if not its just too bad for the parents cuz it's not that we didnt care but when times r tight theres limited resources... :) gotta take it easy n not put unnecessary pressure on ourselves.

Waterlili

that's very true Diza & Rye!
Times are bad but seems like my in law doesn't realized that... even they do, they can't be bothered. Really envy those in laws who are truly understanding!
We gotta learn to be selfish bcoz we have our own family to feed as well...