How much plain water should my 13-month-old drink?

snowbear

Hi,
I'm still breastfeeding my 13-month-old dd (exclusively latching). I understand that toddlers 1-3years old need 1.3litres of liquids a day. I'm wondering how much plain water she needs to drink coz I've no idea how much milk she's taking in... May i know how much plain water you give your toddlers?
Thanks.

annie

this is wat i found out.. hope its useful

How much juice, milk or water should I give my baby each day in his sippy cup?

In your 'sippy cup', you'll want to keep it exclusively for certain kinds of liquids. Remember that juice, milk, and water are to be used in small amounts during your baby's first year of life. After the first year of life, you can give up to four ounces at a time in a baby's 'sippy cup'. It's a very small amount, and it's your baby's total juice intake for the entire day. You may fill it up with additional water, but that's it for apple juice in a day. Some people would be surprised that this tiny little 'sippy cup' contains actually about ten ounces' worth of fluid. This would be almost your baby's entire milk intake for one day; in fact, two of these 'sippy cups' is your baby's full milk intake for one day. So remember that 'sippy cup' sizes are very deceptive. Give small amounts. Let your baby only carry water around with him in a 'sippy cup' and not juice or milk.

pop-kidz

my daughter is currently 9mth old. she's takng formula milk. i try to let her drink at least 150ml of plain water per day :)

annie

my girl only take a sip here n there from her sippy so whole day i put 50ml she also cannot finish! but so far she has no constipation problem so i dun worry..

stonston

When my son was 13mth old, he was still TBF, he did not want to drink plain water. At most was 100ml/day.

When he was around 18mth old, he was on FM, he started to like drinking water. Especially when we bought him nice water bottles for going to CC. In a day he can finish 3-4 bottles (total around 1.5L).

autumn82

Up to today, Iggy still take only less than 2-3 sips of water/juices daily, still on his milk... But luckily thing, no signs of dehydration or constipation. So I leave it as it is still.. :embarrassed:

snowbear

Up to today, Iggy still take only less than 2-3 sips of water/juices daily, still on his milk... But luckily thing, no signs of dehydration or constipation. So I leave it as it is still.. :embarrassed:
Thanks mummies. I got worried about this issue coz recently my auntie told me that maybe i din give alicia enuff water that's why she's not growing much. She's meeting milestones but just can't seem to put on wt... sigh. Very frustrating. Is there any scientific proof for this assertion made by my aunt?

annie

i dun think got proof leh.. it might just be a myth.. dun worry bout alicia's growth dear. as long as she is healthy, meeting milestone etc i think its ok. or u try asking her pd bout this?

stonston

The main function of water in our body is a medium for transport & chemical reactions.

Although one may not have symptoms of dehydration, you can be 'mildly' dehydrated. This may mean that your body cells are not getting all the necessary nutrients even though you are obtaining it through your diet.

If your child is obtaining water from other sources (fruits, soup, porridge), it also adds to the total water intake. Some children have alot of soup during meal times therefore they seem to drink lesser plain water.

autumn82

The main function of water in our body is a medium for transport & chemical reactions.

Although one may not have symptoms of dehydration, you can be 'mildly' dehydrated. This may mean that your body cells are not getting all the necessary nutrients even though you are obtaining it through your diet.

If your child is obtaining water from other sources (fruits, soup, porridge), it also adds to the total water intake. Some children have alot of soup during meal times therefore they seem to drink lesser plain water.
Stonston, milk also adds up to the total water intake rite?? :embarrassed:

snowbear

ok thanks. :)