How old to sleep throughout the night?

Astar

currently, i have to wake up every 2 hours to feed my 3 wks old. Very tiring. Just wondering, at what age will baby be able to sleep throughout the night?

Cos, worry will lose sleep when maternity leave ends...

annie

every bb different. hard to tell u when. my girl now 8mths still waking up 1-2 times a night. she was waking up every 2.5-3hrs when she was newborn till 1.5mths old. then slowly increase to 3-4 hrs till about 4.5mths old then she start to sleep 4-6hrs stretch. then at about 5.5mths 10hrs at most but usually also around 6-8hrs stretch. till now still this schedule...btw, she is purely on breastmilk.

sugarcookie

Yeah, it's hard to tell when. There is no fixed time. Some babies can sleep through as early as 1mth. Others (like my sis' boy) still wakes up 1-2 times a night even though he is a toddler and almost 3 years' old!

My baby is 3mths+ and can sleep 5 hours at a stretch (about 7+pm-12+am). But after 12am, she keeps waking up every 2-3hrs. She is on FM.

To reduce your stress, try not to have the expectation that your baby MUST sleep through the night. And also note that babies may sleep through the night for a period of time and then suddenly start waking up in the middle of the night again.

BbpHir3

not every baby is the same..
for my DD she started sleeping thru since bout 3+mths..
though she still wakes up once awhile.. bout 1 time in 3 weeks~~

annie

oh yah n some bb sleep through the night since day 1 or 1-2mths old but then started waking up after 6mths old due to teething, growth sprut n all sorts of reason n never did sleep through again till after 1-2yrs old! so... bb are unpredicatable.. u can try your best to help your bb sleep through by not giving milk at night but then imo, bb below 6mths still needs as much milk as possible to grow n that includes night feed as well... after 6mths u can start some sort of sleep training eg give water/pacifier/ rock/ pat etc to make your bb sleep n not giving milk. this way slowly the bb wont wake up anymore since there is nothing to wake up for. (Tats wat all books say la.)

Ting

agree with the mummies, all babies r diff.
n also how u train your child.
for pin, she slpt thru since 2 mth old w/o any help or training, so i was just lucky. :)

CanCanMum

mine was sleeping thru by 8months old

but i did no training at all....naturally

some mummies successfully trained their newborns to sleep thru the night as early as 1 month old or even newborn~~its possible~~

annie

actually hor.. when newborns wake up at night, are they really waking up due to hunger? i realise many parents simply give milk when bb wakes up at night n then somehow i feel this contribute to bad habit.. the bb associate night wakings with milk thats y kept waking? maybe we should jsut try to get them back to bed with other methods unless we know they are truly hungry... so far for the past 8mths ive been feeding my girl back to sleep when she wakes at night cos i thought bb wake up sure is cos of hunger lol. now i realise its not the case...

rjj

My babies all sleep thru since 1st mth.... but all are different.....
My 2nd son slept thru till he was 6mths old.... after that every night must wake up at least once to drink milk until he was 3 yrs old....

No hard and fast rule

november

My BB (now 8 weeks) sleeps for 5-6 hrs at night, since 7 weeks old (on FM). When he was less than i mth old, he wakes up every 1.5 to 2 hrs (that time was feeding BM). Then after 1 mth when he wakes up at night, i just rock him and give pacifier. Now he's slowly getting used to it. So night feeding starts around 11pm, then next round around 5am, and then after his morning bath around 9am.