How to clean baby's tongue?

mskathy

hihi,

My baby got white stuffs on her tongue.. can any1 teach me how to remove? I've tried to use cloth to clean but its still there...

Thanks!:Dancing_biggrin:

Porukadotzu

i think better don't put anything inside your newborn baby.. specially cloth.

my baby also like tat, but it's only if i feed her formula.

once i breastfeed her then i don't see the whitish milk residue on her tongue..

maybe you try breastfeed?

anyway if still there i tink better dun do anything extreem about it.. maybe try to feed her few sips of water but not too much coz i read that newborn can not drink too much water otherwise they will get seizure..

SH74

i use those cloth (texture a bit like those cloth nappies) to wipe his tongue n gums every morning during bath. if u feed more fm, it'll accumulate v fast even aft cleaning. so try to bf more. or let ur bb drink some water aft milk.

the longer u let it accumulate, the harder it'll take to remove. but still can get rid.

mskathy

the thing is i'm breastfeeding her... only used 5 fm so far cos i'm outside @ that time.. mayb can monitor and c.. cos it the polyclinic nurse who tell me to clean one..

ya.. i heard tat breastfeeding bb doesn't need water...

thx!

Porukadotzu

hi, if you're bf i tink dun need to bother it will go away..
my mom also told me to do this, but then i surf around the net how to get rid of it and some of the opinion was not supose to use cloth coz for newborn everything need to be sterilized..

so i dun dare to clean with cloth..hehe

but i bf my bb directly and it seems to fading now..

i also bought those brush for gums.. will use it once baby's bit older.

NG HO

hihi,

My baby got white stuffs on her tongue.. can any1 teach me how to remove? I've tried to use cloth to clean but its still there...

Thanks!:Dancing_biggrin:
I use NUK cleansing wipes, Its like those cloth like tissues in sterilised water each individually packed.

I will roll it around a finger and rub the gums, tongue and the top part of the mouth.

I uses it since he is born and he loves it, just be gentle and dont force it too deep in until he gag. Let him suckle and slowly advance in..

Amulet

hmm.. my DD is on TBF, also have leh.. but only let her drink water after she started solid.. last time use cloth to juz wipe away lo..

but beware.. if it cannot be removed, don do it by force, and bring her to a PD.. coz it could be thrush.. thrush if untreated, could get serious and painful..

mskathy

hihi.. actually i was told by the polyclinic nurse to clean with a cloth and salt water lor... the white stuffs in still in her tongue even thou i bf totally... sigh..

sleepymama

Hi mskathy
My boy had white 'stains' on his tongue too when he was a few months old and totally bf. An LC taught me to use sterilised 'gauze' cloth that you can buy from the pharmacy. It's used for bandaging wounds etc. Just dip it in cool boiled water and wrap around your finger and gently clean baby's tongue, in a downward motion. Do it everytime you bathe baby. It may be tough at first, but after a few days you should see the white stuff disappearing. Yes, they can be wiped off, but gently and over time, not at one or two cleaning sessions.
Hope this helps.

mskathy

hi sleepymama. .. will the pharmacy ppl know if i ask them? i roughly know the one which u mention but not very confident thou.. thx and it sure helps..

wenz

another effective ways is to use none cotton type of cloth, dip grip water and clean the tongue, the white residue will come off after 2-3 cleaning, u can do this every morning after u bathe your BB and they will suk abit of grip water can help to reduce wind at the same time... i used this method for my DD when she was younger... very effective and proven.. haha