How to clean tongue??

cui_er

Hi mummies,

any ideas on how to clean baby's tongue really clean? My daughter's has such a thick layer of white gunk on it that i've tried using those finger brushes and also cotton wool and also hankies to try and wipe off but it's still there....

Phoebii Cheng

There is a method tht my brother taught me, but I did not use it lah....he said to boil those tea leaves after tht use the water, dip the gauze (you can buy frm guardian) into it fold it around ur finger and wipe ur son's tongue.....it's clean

I clean my son's tongue tht time since he came back frm KKH, I think you did not clean it since day one issit? tht's why it has accumulated.......

Normally I clean using boiled water with the gauze until now he is two, I use the toothbrush to clean

cui_er

We clean it for her quite regularly actually, but never manage to get it all clean at any 1 time before cos she'll make gagging sounds and struggle. So think it just accumulate. Just now i just try again, applied a bit of glycerin ( my MIL say use this) and the finger brush and she cry like torturing her and scream so loudly I just gave up. :(

Spiralng

I used grip water. But normally to keep tongue clean, best give baby few drops of water after milk feed.

hueychye79

I always clean his tongue at bath time, just prepare the cooling boil water and use the soft towel to dip and wipe my baby mouth.

I didn't give any water each feeding but looks like is ok. :001_302:

cui_er

Mostly is my mum clean one actually cos she's the one taking care of baby during day time so she'll clean after bath too. But her heart very soft, once baby start screaming and crying till the face all red she can't bear to force her finger in and clean hard so think accumulated eventually.

Recently baby not drinking well. Worried could be the thick layer of "gunk"there make her lose her appetite... :s

Anyone tried using those baby toothpaste like orajel?

charmed_one

hi! im new here..

just want to share.. my baby is 3 months and she also has some white on her tongue and not drinking well..

when i brought her to her pedia, he said the white thingy is mild baby thrush.. gave me an oral gel to apply to my baby's tongue..

pedia said if after giving few drops of water and cleaning the tongue there's still white thingy, its thrush..

i also keep brushing with gauze but my poor baby gags already.. right now she only drinks milk if i latch her on but if i give her the bottle, she either pushes it out or plays with it..

hope this helps..

cocraze

hi! im new here..

just want to share.. my baby is 3 months and she also has some white on her tongue and not drinking well..

when i brought her to her pedia, he said the white thingy is mild baby thrush.. gave me an oral gel to apply to my baby's tongue..

pedia said if after giving few drops of water and cleaning the tongue there's still white thingy, its thrush..

i also keep brushing with gauze but my poor baby gags already.. right now she only drinks milk if i latch her on but if i give her the bottle, she either pushes it out or plays with it..

hope this helps..
Hi,
can I check whether your paed means by "giving few drops of water and cleaning the tongue", means that must clean the tongue after EVERY FEED? Afterall baby feeding many times a day, so if only clean once a day, I wouldn't expect to be able to clean the white stuff out entirely, even after a few days.

Does anyone clean the baby's tongue more than once or twice a day? Cannot be after every feed right? cos if baby gag, the milk just fed would come out?

The gauze that you use to clean the tongue with cool boiled water, is it sterilised gauze? are they individually packed or in a pack of say, 10, 50 or 100 pieces? can get from Guardian issit?

Is it better than using normal square sized cotton wool pads (in terms of effectiveness in removing the white stuff)

redjn

I also clean my boy's tongue at bath time, using a soft towel in warm water, just wrap round finger & wipe out the white gunk.

Ivy Miao

Hi,
can I check whether your paed means by "giving few drops of water and cleaning the tongue", means that must clean the tongue after EVERY FEED? Afterall baby feeding many times a day, so if only clean once a day, I wouldn't expect to be able to clean the white stuff out entirely, even after a few days.

Does anyone clean the baby's tongue more than once or twice a day? Cannot be after every feed right? cos if baby gag, the milk just fed would come out?

The gauze that you use to clean the tongue with cool boiled water, is it sterilised gauze? are they individually packed or in a pack of say, 10, 50 or 100 pieces? can get from Guardian issit?

Is it better than using normal square sized cotton wool pads (in terms of effectiveness in removing the white stuff)
Best if dont use normal square sized cotton wool pads. The cotton wool will accidentally stuck onto bb's tongue. No good. I used those super thin handkerchief to gentle wipe it. usually done every morning after he bathe and before his feeding. So his tongue will roll out and let me clean. =)

Stan

Cocraze mummy,

I use NUK Oral Wipes.... individually packed.... I dont dare to use the cotoon pad..scared the cotton will come off in the mouth... and hubby dont like it when i use hanky to clean....
Can try kiddie stores if u wanna buy..

babybull

Hi mummies,

any ideas on how to clean baby's tongue really clean? My daughter's has such a thick layer of white gunk on it that i've tried using those finger brushes and also cotton wool and also hankies to try and wipe off but it's still there....

Does it look white and curdish? Actually if you are unable to wipe the white coating off your baby's tongue, it may be oral thrush. You need to bring your baby to see a doctor / pd so that you can get some oral gel to apply.

My baby had this for about 3 months, at first everyone told me that its milk residue, but we happened to be at the pd when she yawned/cried, and pd took one glance and immediately said its oral thrush, especially if I wasn't able to clean it off.

Its not particularly alarming as its just an overgrowth of yeast fungus on the tongue. From what i read, my baby probably developed it as I was given antibiotics during delivery, which affected baby's internal bacterial community. If your baby is still feeding well, should be ok. But if you're breastfeeding may need to apply the medicine to your nipples as well in case baby passes it to you.