How to comfort a baby without a pacifier?

cherry

My small boy is 5 weeks old now. Whenever he cries, i think he is hungry and will bf him. As time goes by, it seems that my nipple becomes his pacifier. He doesn't cry only for food. When I take my nipple away, he will cry and wake up from his sleep. My personal view is not to use a pacifier. Is there any good ways to comfort a crying baby without the use of a pacifier?

mabeltang

my dd is 4 mths now, had the same problem.. but read that nursing for comfort is perfectly fine for a newborn. its a way of bonding with you. i had low milk supply and slow flow, so dd suckles till she falls asleep while waiting for milk to come. what u can do is tickle his chin, tap his cheeks, shift him about slightly every now and then to make sure he drinks.

isabelandrew

My 6 wks old girl also took me as pacificer. I think this happen to most bf mummies. I tried to introduce her pacificer, she don't want! Sigh.
I carry her lor.

daisysung

My girl is 11 weeks old now. I don't want to be human pacifier anymore.

Anyone has sucessful story to share (without having to give up bfing), please share! would be much much appreciated =)

spiraledpetals

How about rocking and patting? Sometimes I just walk around the house humming softy while carrying baby in cradle position. Works, she's slowly doing fine without having to nurse to sleep. Also, good if you can get your hubbies to do It from time to time. But of course... It's the same la, then in future baby will always have to be rocked to sleep. But at least this can be done by others as well so mommies can take a break :)

daisysung

How about rocking and patting? Sometimes I just walk around the house humming softy while carrying baby in cradle position. Works, she's slowly doing fine without having to nurse to sleep. Also, good if you can get your hubbies to do It from time to time. But of course... It's the same , then in future baby will always have to be rocked to sleep. But at least this can be done by others as well so mommies can take a break :)
=P she doesnt allow me to carry her. Everytime i do so, she will scream and search for the breast. So i have to use the sling and carry her around. This works. The problem is I cant put her down, the min i do so, she will start screaming away again. She is a very light sleeper..

lyra

My bb use my nipple as pacifier too n I think it's natural n normal since breasts r the first pacifiers. Prob is he's very sticky to me. Whenever he wants comfort, he'll come to me. Sucking calms baby down. I tried giving him pacifier when he's younger, but he gave me a "yucks" face n spit it out. I latch on all the time, so many bb who r used to latching on doesn't get used to pacifier.

ling.er

Hi mummy, I'm a second time mummy now expecting my 2nd little ones.
When my first ones was about few week or few month old. I do bf as well i rock
Him to slp. I intro him pacific when he was 6 month like tat.
My suggest is dun rock or swing them , when they use to it then will
Be trouble. How about express out the milk then fees thru bottle??