How to deal with Colicky Baby

sharonk

Hi mummies,

my pre mature girl (coming to 1mth old soon) has been crying alot since midnight. Suspect she is having colic; have already given her the medicine. Is there anythings i have to prevent from her having colic? eg fan blowing at her at speed 2, any food should i aviod as i am breastfeeding her and giving her formula milk at night?

Please advise. I dont wish to see her crying n crying as i am afriad her weight may drop since she is a pre mature baby.

THanks you!!

apollo

Hi mummies,

my pre mature girl (coming to 1mth old soon) has been crying alot since midnight. Suspect she is having colic; have already given her the medicine. Is there anythings i have to prevent from her having colic? eg fan blowing at her at speed 2, any food should i aviod as i am breastfeeding her and giving her formula milk at night?

Please advise. I dont wish to see her crying n crying as i am afriad her weight may drop since she is a pre mature baby.

THanks you!!
did u seek for pd's advice b4 feeding ur baby medi? if not, pls do so, cos diffe baby need diffe dosage, pd prescribe the dosage according the their weight, and not age..

applying ru yi oil helps. ds had colic too. we applied ru yi oil on his tummy and feet soles and let him wear socks and 'bind' his tummy right aft applying oil to prevent wind going into his tummy. =)

Phoebii Cheng

Crying does not mean hvg colic, but if you suspect tht ur bb hv colic, the bring her to the PD to get the appropriate medication.....and like what apollo says rub some ru yi oil on tummy and bind it so tht the tummy will feel warm

Crying can oso mean insecurity, hv u tried swaddling her? sometimes swaddling helps....there is a method tht I once saw on a Jap TV, a mother uses water and she sort of like gargled into the ear of the bb and the bb stopped crying, another method of soothing bb tht I saw on a DVD is to put bb on ur hands above ur legs and start to sway her gently and it helps....

apollo

Crying does not mean hvg colic, but if you suspect tht your baby have colic, the bring her to the pediatrician to get the appropriate medication.....and like what apollo says rub some ru yi oil on tummy and bind it so tht the tummy will feel warm

Crying can also mean insecurity, have you tried swaddling her? sometimes swaddling helps....there is a method tht I once saw on a Jap TV, a mother uses water and she sort of like gargled into the ear of the baby and the baby stopped crying, another method of soothing baby tht I saw on a DVD is to put baby on your hands above your legs and start to sway her gently and it helps....
i saw tt video on Fb b4!!! my frens tried on ds when he cried badly last time and it works! i tried but it does not work at all.. mayb i gargled the wrong way.. haha

diymummy

Hi mummies,

THanks you!!
The example of fan blowing at speed 2 that helps colic is because the sound of the fan is kind of like the sound that the baby hears when she was in the womb so it gives a calming effect. Other sounds that tend to soothe colicky babies are vacuum cleaner sounds, dryer sounds, TV channels that are not tuned properly. I've seen this maternity shop selling CDs with these sounds.

Sometimes 1 colic medication might work better than another. My baby was 1 mth premature. Also colicky. We were on Ridwind at first. Then we switched to Dentinox colic drops. The Dentinox worked better for him.

You should avoid foods that tend to introduce air into baby's tummy eg, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, caffeine.

You can also refer to the websites below for more info:
Colic: The basics | BabyCenter
Colic: How to cope | BabyCenter

I also let my baby sleep on his tummy. Swaddling also helps but my baby hates being swaddled that's why we let him sleep on his tummy.

I also burp him often, ie half way through the feed. Massaging his tummy or doing cycling motions also help.

apollo

The example of fan blowing at speed 2 that helps colic is because the sound of the fan is kind of like the sound that the baby hears when she was in the womb so it gives a calming effect. Other sounds that tend to soothe colicky babies are vacuum cleaner sounds, dryer sounds, TV channels that are not tuned properly. I've seen this maternity shop selling CDs with these sounds.

Sometimes 1 colic medication might work better than another. My baby was 1 month premature. Also colicky. We were on Ridwind at first. Then we switched to Dentinox colic drops. The Dentinox worked better for him.

You should avoid foods that tend to introduce air into baby's tummy eg, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, caffeine.

You can also refer to the websites below for more info:
Colic: The basics | BabyCenter
Colic: How to cope | BabyCenter

I also let my baby sleep on his tummy. Swaddling also helps but my baby hates being swaddled that's why we let him sleep on his tummy.

I also burp him often, ie half way through the feed. Massaging his tummy or doing cycling motions also help.
DIY dearie, just now i asked my pd lehh, ask him now my wanton's age n weight nd take how many ml dee ridwind, he said ridwind is for younger babies, older babies take ridwind 'bo laksa'.. he prescribed him colimix.. haven let him take yet cos we take on standby nia.. hehe...

diymummy

Hi Apollo,

Yeah, Ridwind and Dentinox Colic drops are for young babies. But I think Dentinox is slightly stronger. My boy had a bout of bloatedness last month. We gave him Dentinox and he was able to burp out the air and increase in appetite. I think it also depends on the dosage. I know Dentinox max dosage is 2.5ml 6 times a day.

Will keep Colimix in mind when my son is down again. Able to buy it off the counter at pharmacy? Coz I've never seen it before.

diymummy

Hi Phoebii, my boy no longer have colic. But he's always very bloated. He's 14 mths.

ThreadStarter's baby is only 1 mth old. So I recommended Ridwind and Dentinox colic drops.

:) Sorry for confusion.

apollo

Hi Apollo,

Yeah, Ridwind and Dentinox Colic drops are for young babies. But I think Dentinox is slightly stronger. My boy had a bout of bloatedness last month. We gave him Dentinox and he was able to burp out the air and increase in appetite. I think it also depends on the dosage. I know Dentinox max dosage is 2.5ml 6 times a day.

Will keep Colimix in mind when my son is down again. Able to buy it off the counter at pharmacy? Coz I've never seen it before.
i not sure whether can buy OTC worr.. anw pd currently gif ds 2ml twice a day when needed.. hehe... i saw many older babies taking colimix last time when i brough ds for checkup.. hehe..

I thot as baby grows up they no longer have colic?
hmm not exactly colic but got wind in tummy.. sometimes ds will hav v v bloated tummy den whole day v cranky.. but of cos not as jialat as last time.. hehe..

fiza

hi.. my baby girl is also born premature.. at 33 weeks.. she has been on and off crying since the day we brought her home. We suspected she had colic so we brought her back to KKH and was prescribed Ridwind.

Today she's starting her "crying mode" again after "few days off". Ever since the check-up, I always burped her after she had finished half her milk and then again after she finished the other half, applied Yu Yee oil too. She can cry on and off the whole day and the worse is after midnight. Even though she farts alot and burped after every feeding.. Her tummy still sounds bloated when I check.

Anyone has any other suggestions? I really appreciate it..

diymummy

How long have you been using the Ridwind?

Be a little patient. It will subside in a while. My boy was born at 36 weeks so is considered slightly premature.

I also had to burp him half way through his feed and sometimes more than that. It will get better. Hang in there :)

ella14

[FONT=&quot]A crying baby is hard to handle but one that has colic and cries for hours on end is even harder to handle. There are no answers for parents of colicky children. Doctors don't know why they cry and scientists have yet to find a cure. It's hard to tell the parents of a colicky child that there is nothing for them to do but wait it out. It is even harder; still, to hear your child cry for hours on end and not know what you can do about it. Below are a few tips on how to handle this crisis should the occasion ever arise. There is no tried and true method to dealing with a colicky baby. A crying baby is the hardest thing a parent has to deal with. There are some things you can do to ease the crying from frantic to workable. Some parents have their own natural colic relief just to stop their colicky babies. [FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

gkoreioprg

It is easy to spot the symptoms in such infants as they occur at a specific time of day, usually evening. A baby that is having intestinal cramps, or painful gas passing through the bowels, or having difficulty processing and digesting food.