how to deal with leaking

uddermummy

how do you mummies deal with leakage, especially at night? I end up having to stuff cloth nappies into my clothes and sleeping on a towel at night.

in the day it's not so bad cos I use silicon stick ons (lilypadz) but the stick ons still leak at night.

i've also tried disposable breast pads but they don't attach v well to those soft tube bras that i wear, and are even too big for those regular padded bras.

any recommendations?

snowbear

how do you mummies deal with leakage, especially at night? I end up having to stuff cloth nappies into my clothes and sleeping on a towel at night.

in the day it's not so bad cos I use silicon stick ons (lilypadz) but the stick ons still leak at night.

i've also tried disposable breast pads but they don't attach v well to those soft tube bras that i wear, and are even too big for those regular padded bras.

any recommendations?
I placed towels on the bed and slept on them. Shirt will still be wet in the morning but at least my boobs dun end up wetting the bed. :)

Dun worry. Leakage will stop soon when your supply adjusts to demand...

uddermummy

when will it stop leaking? I'm in my 2nd month... quite sian of smelling like stale milk at the end of the day.

uddermummy

any recommendations for breast pads?

Nuk is no good cos it keeps shifting about, pigeon is too big for my bras.

also, are there any breast pads , both disposable and resuable, that are good with tube bras?

what types of bf bras do you mummies wear?

snowbear

when will it stop leaking? I'm in my 2nd month... quite sian of smelling like stale milk at the end of the day.
I think mine stopped leaking between the 2nd and 3rd month.

Do you latch or pump? You cannot overpump otherwise this problem will never end...

I've used Pigeon, Tollyjoy, Avent and Mothercare disposable breastpads. If you dun use the bigger type then the small ones can't really help to absorb much from my experience.

I've also used washable breast pads from Avent and Medela. The medela ones are really nice and soft but each breastpad is double the price of Avent's. Avent's become hard after washing. Now i'm just using the washable ones as i'm a SAHM and using them is more cost-saving.

uddermummy

thanks snow dear! how abt nursing bras? are there soft bras with attached cups that can be pulled down? i latch on directly. used to pump once or twice but now too lazy, so just latch directly.

but prob is bb's feeding schedule still quite erratic. sometimes can sleep thru the night, sometimes wake up twice...

Last edited:

annie

i wear breastpad 24/7 lol. i dun usually leak unless during a letdown or engorgement of my girl didnt drink for many hrs...

snowbear

thanks snow dear! how abt nursing bras? are there soft bras with attached cups that can be pulled down? i latch on directly. used to pump once or twice but now too lazy, so just latch directly.

but prob is bb's feeding schedule still quite erratic. sometimes can sleep thru the night, sometimes wake up twice...
If you're bfding long, invest in nursing bras!!! I started wearing them since i was 4 months preggie coz they double up as maternity bras. Nursing bras are very convenient. I bought mine from Perfect Mum at Suntec. They're not ex, about 20+ per bra for wireless (pack of 4) and 30+ per bra for soft underwire (pack of 3).

Hiya, my alicia's sleeping pattern has been haywire since she turned 6 months...

uddermummy

haiz, growing pains... hope our dds schedules will become more stable soon

yeah, looking at those padded nursing bras. actually, if i didn't have the leaking prob, will prob just go without bras cos i'm quite small. hee.

but i haven't managed to nurse discreetly with nursing bras; takes me a long time to unclasp and i find that the cups get in the way. :p

i prefer tube bras but v hard to use breast pads with tube bras

snowbear

haiz, growing pains... hope our dds schedules will become more stable soon

yeah, looking at those padded nursing bras. actually, if i didn't have the leaking prob, will prob just go without bras cos i'm quite small. hee.

but i haven't managed to nurse discreetly with nursing bras; takes me a long time to unclasp and i find that the cups get in the way. :p

i prefer tube bras but v hard to use breast pads with tube bras
It takes practice. Practise at home lor... Unclasp with one hand while carrying baby then when bb is in position, push the cup and breastpad under the bb's chin (or remove the breastpad). That'll keep the cup in place. :)

annie

i bought alot of nursing bra but only started to wear after delivery.. but hor... i prefer normal bra which is unpadded. like only cloth.. cos nursing bra strap very thick n ugly lol. so nowadays im using those normal unpadded bra. just pull the cup down can feed liao.

haywire as in? suddenly dun sleep through the night or just the time always different? my girl recently started taking long naps n thus number of naps decrease. only about 2 naps a day. or 3 at most. she used to take 4-5 catnaps last time..

uddermummy

oic snowbear, no wonder the cups wouldn't stay in place.

but i think i forever condemned to using nursing rooms. bb have a v bad habit of letting milk leak out towards the end of nursing. and i'll always get wet patches on my breasts!

Always have to be v thick-skinned and tahan the stares until i get home!:embarrassed:

yeah annie, it's a big headache when bb is so wide awake.

stonston

i had leaky breasts from e time i was 6mths preggie. it was such a pain!
but end up i bought the avent breast shells. it's quite comfy n collects the milk.
i use the collected milk to soak my feet :D

uddermummy

wah stonston,

you like cleopatra! did the bm make your feet softer? I used to use breast shells too but they also leak when i bend over...

will the avent one leak? I used the medela nipple former...

stonston

uddermummy, avent got 2 types. the one without the ventilation holes wont leak no matter which direction u r in. can even do somersault :p

and yes, the BM was good for my skin. i use those i collected plus those 'expired' BM (put in fridge too long, cannt feed baby already). heehee.
sometimes quantity too little, my maid will top up with my mum's anlene milk powder n warm water :p