how to explain the maths question.

Gladys

My daughter is in P2 this year. But she is still not and understand how to do it for simple question which is P1 level.

For example.

Eileen ate 3/7 of a cake.
Hendra ate 1/7 of the same cake.
How much more of the cake did Eileen eat then Hendra?

This is the type of question which she is confused. I realised that she see the word "more" mean + already.

How to give her good explaination to make her understand.

Thank you

Triquetra

My daughter is in P2 this year. But she is still not and understand how to do it for simple question which is P1 level.

For example.

Eileen ate 3/7 of a cake.
Hendra ate 1/7 of the same cake.
How much more of the cake did Eileen eat then Hendra?

This is the type of question which she is confused. I realised that she see the word "more" mean + already.

How to give her good explaination to make her understand.

Thank you
You can try drawing out to illustrate instead of verbally explaining to her.

stonston

They are taught in some kindies that 'more' means plus. But it depends on the phrasing of the question.

A fun way you can try is buying a small cake & cutting it up :) Or get a piece of paper, cut out a circle & cut up the parts. Try to use different colour papers so that she can understand.

To understand fractions they need alot of hands on & illustrations. How I would explain is to tell them that 3/7 means the cake is cut into 7 parts. Eileen ate 3 pcs, Hendra ate 1 pc. How much more cake did Eileen eat? She ate 2 more pcs. And it will be 2 out of 7 pcs which means 2/7 :)

Gladys

Thank youl.:Dancing_wub:

Hi stonston,
"They are taught in some kindies that 'more' means plus. But it depends on the phrasing of the question."

You are right. That why until today no matters how i explain to her she still do not understand. She always get the problem sum wrong for this type of question since P1.

I have tried drawing to explain to her. Is there any other method to explain. Her brain cannot analyise the question.

DodoTan

Kids often have trouble with fractions. Find out if the problem lies in the fraction part or the wording of the questions. If it is a fraction weakness, try playing plasticine with her. Make plasticine cakes and stuff and cut them according to the fractions in the questions etc. It might help her visualize the question better.

blissfulen

Yes, they have learnt. But talking about models, she also cannot draw.
Hi , you may wish to get some hands on manipulative which may help her in learning fractions?

Learningstore.com.sg do sell fraction circles and fraction tiles amd helping children to learn fractions like the circle below

Ruth Wong

There are limitations to the Learningstore.com fraction tiles. This can be replaced by simply coloured paper cutouts.
However, knowing how to draw simple models is essential in the current primary math syllabus. Drawing simple bars does require too much of a child. The key problem seems to be understanding the phrasing of the question, like 2 x as much as or 2 x more than, etc.
Eventually the child needs to know how to draw models in his/her school work. So the early we start doing it with him/her the better. Start simple then slowl progress to more difficult ones. Repeat the same type of model till the child understands how the model type relates to certain phrasing in the question. Hope this helps.

blissfulen

if you are referring to models, you may wish to consider instead Cuisenaire Rods . The fraction tiles are good in the sense for fractions.

Gladys

There are limitations to the Learningstore.com fraction tiles. This can be replaced by simply coloured paper cutouts.
However, knowing how to draw simple models is essential in the current primary math syllabus. Drawing simple bars does require too much of a child. The key problem seems to be understanding the phrasing of the question, like 2 x as much as or 2 x more than, etc.
Eventually the child needs to know how to draw models in his/her school work. So the early we start doing it with him/her the better. Start simple then slowl progress to more difficult ones. Repeat the same type of model till the child understands how the model type relates to certain phrasing in the question. Hope this helps.

You are right. The key problem is the phrasing of the question like more than, less than, fewer than etc. That why I need to have very good explanation to her that make her understand . Why sometimes more than is "minus" and not always "plus". Her thinking is not good to analysis and understand the question. That is the problem.

Ruth Wong

Hi Gladys, it is not that your child is not good at analysis. She will be find if taught how to interpret questions. Require repeated exposure and help her to associate certain phrasing to types of model for a start. Patience in coaching is key in not undermining her confidence. Honestly, from my personal experience, any average kid can excel in our ed system.
Your girl is in P2 so those phrasings used are still limited in range. It will get more complicated (at least thru the eyes of a pri pupils) as she progresses to upper pri. So good to start slowly and now and build her command and understanding of those phrasings used in math problem sums over time. Be patient and all the best...;))

Ruth Wong

One way I used is work thru the sheet with my child, interpreting the phrases and drawing the models, so that she is familiar with all the questions. Next I asked her to try doing again on her own. Explaining again whatever she does not understand.
Then, sometime later, I will retype the questions, changing the names and objects and simply doubling up all nos in the questions. And let her try the "revised" worksheet to reinforce what she learnt.

One way I used is work thru the sheet with my child, interpreting the phrases and drawing the models, so that she is familiar with all the questions. Next I asked her to try doing again on her own. Explaining again whatever she does not understand.
Then, sometime later, I will retype the questions, changing the names and objects and simply doubling up all nos in the questions. And let her try the "revised" worksheet to reinforce what she learnt.

Well said. Tha's a good approach.

Typically, the little ones are fearful of the 'long' questions and with so much info whereby they do not know how to string them up to solve the question.

Hence if we can help them to break it down to 'bite-size', this helps alot in getting to understand. Also, show them to be organised and in extracting info as per the sequence of the question.

Next, to overcome their fear, we have to simplify and summarise that each topic, there are that few ways that the questions are set. Also, of the same type of question, to give a fresh look to the question, it's a matter of changing the names like 'Ahmad' to 'Ali', instead of 'balloons', it's changed to 'sweets'.

If we can help them to see the macro-view and also to help them in seeing the micro aspects, this will help them to build confidence.. and they are on the road to scoring A*.

Last edited:

RenLaoShi

Alpha Male
Aiyo, use two paper plate and teach faction on you own lah. :) I don't know how to post pictures, otherwise I will take a photo and upload here.

Let me try to explain:
Cut along the radius of both paper plate.
Place them .... intersect with same centre.
Hm.....I don't know how to explain leh. Sorry. :p