how to freeze combine bm?

joanne6298

hi,

i'm confuse abt storing ebm.

how to combine my ebm and store?

each time i pump oni can pump 50ml.. i need at 90ml to freeze..

what is the correct way??

isabelandrew

1st - chill your 50ml in the fridge (not the freezer one). 2nd - chill also your 2nd pump in the fridge. wait for the 2nd pump to be cold, same temperature as the 1st one.
finally combine both and then bring up to the freezer compartment :)

but.... remember to do this within 24 hrs, better if within 12 hours for freshness.

i pump twice in the office and chill in the fridge. so the moment i come home, i will freeze both by combining them and put in my milk bags.

stored EBM must be consumed by 3 months max hor.

hope above helps. cheers!

annie

12hr from the time u pump out to be safe. bm can be store at rm temp for about 6hrs n fridge about 3-6days( i always try to finish in 2 days) n freeze up to 3-6mths. but then best to freeze them as soon as u can. n remember, freeze using those bm storage bag for freezer. not bottles! dun ever freeze bm in bottles.

u can combine bm of the same temp thus if u wanna combine your newly expressed bm with the older bm which is in the fridge, u need to put your new bm into the fridge first then combine when its cold so that they are of the same temp.

date of cos u got to label.. those freezer bag has a space where u can write.

isabelandrew

yup. 12 hrs within the pumps you want to freeze. for example.you pump at 5am and chill in the fridge. then you pump again at 1pm and chill.
within 12 hrs from 5am, u must freeze to ensure freshness lor..

chiro

isabel,

how do you sterilise ur breastfeeding eqpt @ work? do u use sterilising tablets? i have been soaking them in water until next use. if wanna bring from home to office, i put them in ziploc bag and bring to office..

office have another sterilising box so that i caan sterilise bfore each use...

but sad to say only can express 50 ml, max...

ai... also..thinking of buying fernugreek again heehee.. now gnc got discount..

1st - chill your 50ml in the fridge (not the freezer one). 2nd - chill also your 2nd pump in the fridge. wait for the 2nd pump to be cold, same temperature as the 1st one.
finally combine both and then bring up to the freezer compartment :)

but.... remember to do this within 24 hours, better if within 12 hours for freshness.

i pump twice in the office and chill in the fridge. so the moment i come home, i will freeze both by combining them and put in my milk bags.

stored EBM must be consumed by 3 months max .

hope above helps. cheers!

isabelandrew

well, i didn't use the tablets. what i did is to wash w the bb bottle detergent and soak in really hot water after use. when i reach home to pump, i sterilize it before i pump at night.

my thingy i put in container (those can tahan boiling temperature) :)

i also can pump 50max, both sides. very sad one. my bb drinks 180ml, so can u imagine how many times i need to pump for one feed????

i got take fenugreek seed, gnc now sells 2 bottles for 35% off , heee

joanne6298

cannot store in milk bottles? But i read got one thread got ppl store in milk bottles lei.. I store mine in milk bottles.. than how?? all throw away??

milk in fridge can store 3 - 6 days?? i just throw about 500ml of milk coz 2 days plus old le.. ZZZzz

isabelandrew

u storing or freezing? ur milk bottles got cover? i mean wout teats? i cant imagine freezing milk bottles w the teats also...:err:

i use milk bottles to store on top of bags but it is for breast milk storage. it comes w a cover.

fridge milk must consume within 48 hrs, else throw. next time u store la, dun leave it 2 days in the fridge.....

annie

u can store the milk in milk bottles but dun freeze in milk bottles. cos during freezing, the milk kinda 'expand'.i read somewhere that cannot freeze in bottles.. so i freeze in bags. the hospital i went to told me we can store bm in fridge for 3-6days but then the site i read says 2-3days. i always throw after 48hrs has passed though. so freezing is a better choice if u know u cant finish the bm in 2 days.

this site might be helpful to u
Breastfeeding FAQs: Safely Storing Breast Milk

annie

think can use ba.. i read sites stating u can store in bottles. but i remember i read somewhere that cannot freeze in bottles. maybe i remmeber wrongly lol. anyway use freezer bag more convenient for freezing cos u can buy many bags but then dun have so many bottles to store since u still need to use?

joanne6298

i have quite a handful of spare milk bottles which i don use, so i store it for use when i not with baby.

The milk bag i store and keep for use when i return back to work. :)