How to get my 2yr old to brush his teeth?

ferntree

Hi! My son is almost 2yrs old and recently he started to refuse to let me brush his teeth. His teeth are all yellow and icky :eek:since he eats biscuits and the food we eat quite often as he is a very fussy eater. I am so scared he will develop cavities.
I have tried letting him brush by himself but all he does is bite and eat the toothpaste. I have tried distracting him with the tv, but he refuses to open his mouth and waves me away very angrily.
Any suggestions?

CanCanMum

my boy was once like that too.

then i either get some1 he is afraid of (his daddy) to do it for him so that he guai guai brush or i tell him "if u dun wanna brush by me then i get daddy to brush" then he scared and obeyed, or i bring his favourite toy and brush his toy's mouth, then he wants it also! Sometimes has to do some acting and silly tactics...coz at this age they believe everything u say and do. Or another resort is u buy the toothpaste with the cartoon character that they liked...(winnie the pooh or disney pixar cars by colgate etc) so that it helps to make them look 4ward to brushing teeth.

For mine was quite difficult to work at first, then i just use the hard way - better brush or i scold....kekeke...or i brushed for him chop chop, even tho he refuses or struggles, hahahazzz....or some days really cannot fight with him then use a towel to wipe away the yellowness etc...of coz with him struggling/pushing/kicking also...

now he is okay already, and he loves to brush his teeth and rinse his mouth. Somehow he thinks its very fun to rinse coz he can play with water....like a fountain.

veronica

I think initially all are like that...they will refuse but you have to keep trying.

I must admit its a chore to get my son to brush his too that time. Sometimes I will force too and after a while, he was ok liao.

If you can't, just use cloth to clean first for the time being.

ljay

Try singing songs, using his favourite toothpaste or toothbrush with a character on it. Make it a happy scenario and praise him. You could even bring him to the shops to choose the toothpaste and brush. Try not to make it a chore or give up, as he really needs to have his teeth brushed or wiped. Let him know how important it is to brush our teeth and what will happen if we dont.
If all else fails then you have to force, try scare him or scold him, but dont hit him.
it could be just a passing phrase. hopefully he will learn to enjoy it and not swallow the toothpaste :)

icegreent

As ur son has jus started to brushing...u can use FIRST TEETH toothpaste which can b swallowed. At tis age they love to imitate ,think it b loads of fun if parents can brush in front of them.
make it fun with all e actions n foamy paste n teach them e spit out action after brushin.
Hope u wil have fun teaching him...

babymoon

wow.. you all got so many methods.. we actually started brush my babymoon's teeth since very small, (no teeth) just pretend to wash lah.. and bought her a toothbrush as "toy". she likes very much and everytime we brush teeth she will follow our pattern.
somehow recently she doesn't like to brush teeth. we try many ways and finally I get one way to brush her teeth! haaa..
my babymoon likes to eat and she knows what is McD. so i tell her, if she brush teeth and keep her teeth clean and healthy, next time we have outing I bring her for McD.. wahh.. she guai guai brush liao... of course I'm not bluff her.. since we seldom have outing with her, so I dare to promise her that! haa..

ferntree

wow.. you all got so many methods.. we actually started brush my babymoon's teeth since very small, (no teeth) just pretend to wash lah.. and bought her a toothbrush as "toy". she likes very much and everytime we brush teeth she will follow our pattern.
somehow recently she doesn't like to brush teeth. we try many ways and finally I get one way to brush her teeth! haaa..
my babymoon likes to eat and she knows what is McD. so i tell her, if she brush teeth and keep her teeth clean and healthy, next time we have outing I bring her for McD.. wahh.. she guai guai brush liao... of course I'm not bluff her.. since we seldom have outing with her, so I dare to promise her that! haa..
I actually brushed his teeth twice a day since he was 1 year and I could distract him by asking him to look at the MRT trains from the window. Now even when he is watching TV, he won't let me brush. He doesn't like to eat also leh. can't bluff with Macs or anything. So far only managed to brush his front bottom 2 teeth with much struggling. Sigh.......

babymoon

I actually brushed his teeth twice a day since he was 1 year and I could distract him by asking him to look at the MRT trains from the window. Now even when he is watching TV, he won't let me brush. He doesn't like to eat also leh. can't bluff with Macs or anything. So far only managed to brush his front bottom 2 teeth with much struggling. Sigh.......
we actually tried many ways and finally get her "weakness".. haa.. brainstorming a lot right?

JrMummy

Hi, my daughter is 29mths n she also refuses to brush her teeth. but the only time she does is when i brush with her. so i guess maybe u could be his role model n they'll like imitating wad we do. hope this helps ;)