how to help my friend..

asl_6886

not really close to her but she needed help which i don't know what to say..you see this fren of mine should be 7 mths pregnant,got referal letter from poly to go kkh for appt. when 5 mths pregnant but she have skip the appt. due to financial prob as her hubby lost his job..she like all of us very anxious to be a mother(she's a first time mum) but can't afford to pay her medical bills.havent go for scan,no check ups..recently her hubby got a job and i think she can afford but not sure whether is there any package for her since from what i know some package starts as early as 16 wks.. so where should she start?so ladies, i hope you can help by giving advice on what to do..thks!:we3wubclub:

1568mummy

both my boys were delivered in KKH.

seriously the package doesn't really help much. the cost comes up to about the same amount!

to cut cost, she can continue to have her check up done in Polyclinic until just before birth. but she must let KKH know what is the expected due date, so as to book doctor and bed.

another way is to go to KKH customer service, they do have subsidies plan or something like that, but there are certain requirements you must meet before its approved.

SunShine07

kkh i think is very cheap. But it is not private gynae loh. i hear from a friend, she is fully subsidise even she give birth also dun have to fork out cash. Ask her to check out at kkh. 7mts already, dun drag liao.

CanCanMum

not really close to her but she needed help which i don't know what to say..you see this fren of mine should be 7 mths pregnant,got referal letter from poly to go kkh for appt. when 5 mths pregnant but she have skip the appt. due to financial prob as her hubby lost his job..she like all of us very anxious to be a mother(she's a first time mum) but can't afford to pay her medical bills.havent go for scan,no check ups..recently her hubby got a job and i think she can afford but not sure whether is there any package for her since from what i know some package starts as early as 16 wks.. so where should she start?so ladies, i hope you can help by giving advice on what to do..thks!:we3wubclub:
what i suggest now is to turn up for the appt at kkh, with a polyclinic letter shd be cheaper. There are some mummies in this forum who dont book a gynae to deliver oso,.....but bad thing is that any doctor on duty will deliver for her and decide for her, may be junior or senior depends on whos on duty. ITs also ok at this point coz she is already 7 months....too late for any doc to come in and know her medical history....but the point of going for a checkup now is to at least scan the fetus for development accessment as well as to get an EDD. Too late to take up packages and in fact packages are redundant (My Gynae said). Save it for delivery expenses.

There is no such thing as which hospital is cheaper, kkh can be expensive too.

I had a senior gynae to deliver for me, went for appt since 8 weeks, paid $80 1st appt, $56+ subsequent, plus some xtra ($15-$20) for urine test/medicine etcs. During delivery i paid $1000 deposit, natural birth W/O epidural, wrigleys forceps and stitches. All in all they refunded me $800+ after i delivered, coz all deductable from MEDISAVE.

So tell yr friend to save the medisave claimables for delivery instead.

asl_6886

what i suggest now is to turn up for the appt at kkh, with a polyclinic letter shd be cheaper. There are some mummies in this forum who dont book a gynae to deliver oso,.....but bad thing is that any doctor on duty will deliver for her and decide for her, may be junior or senior depends on whos on duty. ITs also ok at this point coz she is already 7 months....too late for any doc to come in and know her medical history....but the point of going for a checkup now is to at least scan the fetus for development accessment as well as to get an EDD. Too late to take up packages and in fact packages are redundant (My Gynae said). Save it for delivery expenses.

There is no such thing as which hospital is cheaper, kkh can be expensive too.

I had a senior gynae to deliver for me, went for appt since 8 weeks, paid $80 1st appt, $56+ subsequent, plus some xtra ($15-$20) for urine test/medicine etcs. During delivery i paid $1000 deposit, natural birth W/O epidural, wrigleys forceps and stitches. All in all they refunded me $800+ after i delivered, coz all deductable from MEDISAVE.

So tell yr friend to save the medisave claimables for delivery instead.

talkin bout edd,she also don't know and i have to do the calculation for her..is it ok not taking supplement for eg folic acid as i thought it is important..

CanCanMum

folic acid is only imp during 1st trimester, coz to prevent spina bifida (got spelling mistake), now take oso no use le.....

SunShine07

talkin bout edd,she also don't know and i have to do the calculation for her..is it ok not taking supplement for eg folic acid as i thought it is important..

Now must take DHA, Calcium and Iron supplement already. must take all these for the sake of the baby

Last edited:

asl_6886

Now must take DHA, Calcium and Iron supplement already. must take all these for the sake of the baby
but i think the other day i saw her eat the obimin tablet.. is it all in one? if bout supplement i'm very blur liao hehehe btw, me and hubby want to help her to pay for the ultrasound scan since she havent been to one but not sure got clinic provide juz the scan..can help me? bcos mine all in the package so not too sure hehehe btw,she lives at cck..so any lobang?
thks!

trendy

can call comcare line at 1800 2220000. they should be able to direct ur fren to the right source of help for tis situation.

SunShine07

but i think the other day i saw her eat the obimin tablet.. is it all in one? if bout supplement i'm very blur liao hehehe btw, me and hubby want to help her to pay for the ultrasound scan since she havent been to one but not sure got clinic provide juz the scan..can help me? bcos mine all in the package so not too sure hehehe btw,she lives at cck..so any lobang?
thks!

I am not very sure about that tablet, but is it from a gynae or she bought outside? I thnk it would be better for her to seek a gynae b4 taking any supplement outside. But DHA is really important for baby she must take....it cost about $50 per bottle for 30 capsules not sure if they sell it outside......

As for the scaning, i guess it is always together with the consultant fee. If pte clinc the cheapest available is about $70-$80 include consultation and scanning. Too bad i do not know if there is one at cck cos i am staying tamp.

She is so poor thing....can i just ask, what about her husband??? I mean he can't provide anything for her and the baby??? Even though lost job, but must quickly look for another one even part-time. SHe is already 7 mths pregnant, anytime may give birth. Her husband expect her to deliver himself at home??? I think he is the father of the baby, got to do something manz not to depend on friends. Besides that, i am sure her hb parents should help her also....

Last edited:

asl_6886

whenever i talk on the phone with her,you know when i try to kaypoh ask bout her hubby she will change subject.. but from what i know the husband already got a new job but not sure as what..i neva pity the hubby but pity the baby..as for their family, i not sure..

piggym

Hi Lia Jia,

I m new to this forum. May I know who is your gynae since your are staying at tampines? thanks.

sherlin

Hi

I would suggest she turn up at KKH with the poly referral letter and opt for a cheaper gynae, the referral letter will allow her to get subsidised rates. If i am not wrong, its 1st appont 45 bucks and subsequent $25. But for U/S, its around $50. But U/S is not required on a weekly basis...its about once a month for subsidised patient for now. But note that for subsidised patient, each visit is a different doc and she will need to wait longer for her checkup. Take calcium supplement and Obimin on a daily basis. AS she is already in 7 month, calcium is very important to build baby's bone structure.

Check if her medisave account have at least 8 -10K at the time of birth, if yes, then she is very safe. Opt for a normal 5 bedder with aircon and below and she will not need to come up with any deposit. Just that when she is reaching labour time, quickly go to KK and checkin for delivery. If she can tahan, opt for natural with epidural, and cost will be very much lower....approx $1700 - $2000. Without Epidual is approx $1200 - $1500. All deductable from medisave if she has or her hubby has at least 8K inside. Keep all the invoices for each checkup and U/S till delivery day, submit it to the hospital after delivery while checking out and you will get reimbursement of a certain amount.

Bring her wedding cert to hospital and submit for baby bonus on the spot when she is checking out and registering baby's birth cert at the registration counter and she should get her 1st payout within 3 weeks - 4 weeks later, and that $1K will help her through the rest of the months. Try to get her to breastfeed her child to cut down on costs.

If she need help with baby stuffs, like 2nd hand clothes, toys...let me know. I can chip some of my stuffs in.

As i am a mother of 1 1yr old and 7 months pregnant now, i know its pretty tough to go through these alone without financial support.

Sherlin (nikac2003@yahoo.com.sg)

asl_6886

Hi

I would suggest she turn up at KKH with the poly referral letter and opt for a cheaper gynae, the referral letter will allow her to get subsidised rates. If i am not wrong, its 1st appont 45 bucks and subsequent $25. But for U/S, its around $50. But U/S is not required on a weekly basis...its about once a month for subsidised patient for now. But note that for subsidised patient, each visit is a different doc and she will need to wait longer for her checkup. Take calcium supplement and Obimin on a daily basis. AS she is already in 7 month, calcium is very important to build baby's bone structure.

Check if her medisave account have at least 8 -10K at the time of birth, if yes, then she is very safe. Opt for a normal 5 bedder with aircon and below and she will not need to come up with any deposit. Just that when she is reaching labour time, quickly go to KK and checkin for delivery. If she can tahan, opt for natural with epidural, and cost will be very much lower....approx $1700 - $2000. Without Epidual is approx $1200 - $1500. All deductable from medisave if she has or her hubby has at least 8K inside. Keep all the invoices for each checkup and U/S till delivery day, submit it to the hospital after delivery while checking out and you will get reimbursement of a certain amount.

Bring her wedding cert to hospital and submit for baby bonus on the spot when she is checking out and registering baby's birth cert at the registration counter and she should get her 1st payout within 3 weeks - 4 weeks later, and that $1K will help her through the rest of the months. Try to get her to breastfeed her child to cut down on costs.

If she need help with baby stuffs, like 2nd hand clothes, toys...let me know. I can chip some of my stuffs in.

As i am a mother of 1 1yr old and 7 months pregnant now, i know its pretty tough to go through these alone without financial support.

that info r really useful for her since she's a first time mother.. even though i'm a second time mum but still very blur..will meet her this wed and sees whether she need help.. thanks everyone..

asl_6886

Hi

oh yes sherlin, do take care of yourself too ya since you too are pregnant..

SunShine07

Hi Lia Jia,

I m new to this forum. May I know who is your gynae since your are staying at tampines? thanks.
Hi Dear,

Sorry for late reply. I went to see Gynae at TMC. Eunice Chua. Rather expensive actually, but because i prefer a woman gynae instead, overall the service is good.

Are you looking for gynae near tampines area?

I visited the one at blk 800+ (cant remember the exact location) His name is Mr Loke. I know that he is cheaper, about $70 or $80 per visit. But always need to see him every 2 weeks. which i find it not necessary....

I know there is a few gyna located at Joo Chiat or katong area which is not bad also. Perhaps you could check it out online.

asl_6886

hi everyone, my friend already gave birth on 1 february 2009 to a baby boy @ kkh... thank you to everyone who willing to share helpful info with me...