how to make healthy stock 4 a 6mth's?

uniq00

hi mummies..my girl is turnin 7 mths n she has started on rice cereals w or w/o milk OR heinz bottled puree fer the past few weeks.
Only on weekends she gets to eat porridge..either prepared by my MIL or mom..

i hope to slowcook her porridge on my own using frozen stock durin the weekdays. please share on what and how to prepare a nutrious stock.
issit ok to use dried ikan bilis as one of its ingredient? since i heard of its sodium content =X

thank you very muchie! :msmile:

joeichen

ikan bilis is one of it, if u take pork u can consider using the bones to boild stk also. My MIL say bb b4 1yr old cant take chicken. You can consider using the small scallop and fish bone but make sure u filter the bones out.

uniq00

ikan bilis is one of it, if u take pork u can consider using the bones to boild stk also. My MIL say bb b4 1yr old cant take chicken. You can consider using the small scallop and fish bone but make sure u filter the bones out.
ok thks..but meanin ikan bilis used alone or tgt with pork? will the sodium level in it be too high fer my baby? =X

CDL

For a baby at that age, stock made out of vegetables are best. Use different vegetables and different combinations for different taste and colour.

snowbear

hi mummies..my girl is turnin 7 mths n she has started on rice cereals w or w/o milk OR heinz bottled puree fer the past few weeks.
Only on weekends she gets to eat porridge..either prepared by my MIL or mom..

i hope to slowcook her porridge on my own using frozen stock durin the weekdays. please share on what and how to prepare a nutrious stock.
issit ok to use dried ikan bilis as one of its ingredient? since i heard of its sodium content =X

thank you very muchie! :msmile:
Hihi, i use celery, corn and apples to make my vegetable stock. The ratio of rice grains to stock I use is 2T (level) of rice grains to 150ml of stock. Put in slow cooker and cook for about 3 hours then blend or push through sieve to get a smoother consistency. After 8 months old, you can add carrots to the stock as well. The porridge is so yummy i wanna eat it myself. Haha... :)

lisa_ng

dried ikan billis, i usually soak in hot water to remove the salty taste.

my girl don't quite like ikan billis stock. :(

now i only make fish stock from threadfin bones.

snowbear

dried ikan billis, i usually soak in hot water to remove the salty taste.

my girl don't quite like ikan billis stock. :(

now i only make fish stock from threadfin bones.
thinking of making fish stock but scared it will be too fishy. How do you make your fish stock?

autumn82

thinking of making fish stock but scared it will be too fishy. How do you make your fish stock?
Bring the water to the boil in a pot. Add the fish bones or fish meat, lower heat and cover the pot with a lid. Simmer for 30mins. Then strain the stock. :)

lisa_ng

i use threadfin tail bone to boil for like 3hours then store in the freezer using baby cubes.
i usually buy the tail part then ask the fish seller to debone.

i will boil porridge first then when almost ready will pour in 3x 1oz stock to boil.
so far ok not fishy since the water for the porridge not all fish stock.

snowbear

i use threadfin tail bone to boil for like 3hours then store in the freezer using baby cubes.
i usually buy the tail part then ask the fish seller to debone.

i will boil porridge first then when almost ready will pour in 3x 1oz stock to boil.
so far ok not fishy since the water for the porridge not all fish stock.
icic, coz i've got a few cod tail bones and am thinking of making stock from the bones i've accumulated so far.

CDL

To take away fishiness, you could add a small piece of ginger when boiling the stock or add some lemon juice to counter the smell.

lisa_ng

icic, coz i've got a few cod tail bones and am thinking of making stock from the bones i've accumulated so far.
last time i used to throw away those bones. until one day i realise is so wasteful, from then i start to make fish stock. :001_302: