How to make sure yur child behaved when shopping?

liangmum

Hi mummies
My ds now 14mths.. recently noe how to walk and climb up stairs. Everytime bring him out shopping/ inside train, he juz couldn't sit on his stroller. He would want to get dwn and strt walking ard and exploring, after tat get himself dirty by crawling on the floor. Often tried to stop him but the more we do tat, he struggle more. How do most of u deal with tis? :embarrassed:

elaine01

DS is still in the sling. So I just have to be ware of his hands & legs. Grab things & kick fragile stuff.

stonston

liangmum, guess in public all u can do it carry him n walk away? but curiousity is good....
wonder wot will happen if my boi start doing tt...usualli his dad will give him a stern 'no' n he will stop his nonsense....

`julee

my dd is not a good shopper either.. i simply canot shop in peace with her.. she will run here there, hide under clothes, hold to things..
only with dh then i can shop, cause then dh & dd will be together while i shop for things.. otherwise even in an air-con mall i'll b sweating....

lml2402

My DS is also like that, like to run about and touch around. If we stop his way, he whine and sit or lay on the floor :embarrassed: haiz, cant really shop :nah:

mae

you know what i'm doing? i shop alone if i will be buying things for myself...if dh wants to shop...then he will shop with us provided I will take care of Alexx. Then we really have time for alexx to shop and let her choose what she wants. We call it Alexx's day. hahaha

vion

When my dds were younger, I often went out shopping, juz me n my dds. Guess when they were younger, they were actually more well behaved then now tt they r older. Cos I'll always sternly tell them wat they can do n wat they can't. But as the days of well behaviours go, dh n family tot tt it's time to b more lenient, tt's when hell breaks loose :tlaugh:

Now they r still controllable when shopping with me. But with dh, they simply run ard cos dh will look after them or juz gv them a specific area to play in (eg. toy sections).

liangmum

liangmum, guess in public all u can do it carry him n walk away? but curiousity is good....
wonder wot will happen if my boi start doing tt...usualli his dad will give him a stern 'no' n he will stop his nonsense....
Hi stonston
Guess tat's the onli way.. in the end both of us end up couldn't continue our shopping. My ds is quite a sturbbon boy watever things u want to try and couldn;t listen to us.. guess I too "good" to him, now 'climb over my head' liao. My hub also try to be fierce with him but recently he even more fierce.. ahya...

liangmum

My DS is also like that, like to run about and touch around. If we stop his way, he whine and sit or lay on the floor :embarrassed: haiz, cant really shop :nah:
Hi lml
guess we're in the same shoe...gotto find a way to discipline them to behave...

Angelmum

When DS was toddler,I put him in stroller. Will passby the toy section grab 1 or 2 items so he can play while I shop. If nothing to play, I bring along toys or food to bribe him. He was able to sit in stroller n be good boy.

As DD is a child with special needs, I adopt a different method. Will park the stroller beside DS while he busy with the free Xbox games. Will follow DD wherever she goes - touch, feel, explore or plain walking .... this is good. Most of the time legs ache cos DD moves here n there like a loop bus service.

DD contented to eat grapes, raisin or play with balloon while I shop or do marketing.

I hate my kids lie on public floor, felt so dirty. Once c DD sitting down or in crawling mode, will pick her up instantly n dump onto stroller.

Fm young, DS was taught not to scream or make a scene eg lie on floor, toss n cry and invite unneccessary stares.

aby

I always went crazy with my 2 with me.. But as my hb works rotating shifts, difficult to wait he ard then gai gai ma.. Sometime he too tiread n lazy to go out la.. I often out with the 2 alone.. Wa, really can ki siao ah (ask lisa and vion, they witness it)!!! Hehehe.. A few times, they really need discilpline (on the spot, i believe then it gonna be effective), I slap them.. Hiazz bad mommy hor.. Haizz.. :eek:

NOW.. I no long use my hand to slap.. I use the rubber band on their palm.. Super painful but leave no mark and no damgaging like slapping.. :nah:

rjj

I always went crazy with my 2 with me.. But as my hb works rotating shifts, difficult to wait he ard then gai gai ma.. Sometime he too tiread n lazy to go out la.. I often out with the 2 alone.. Wa, really can ki siao ah (ask lisa and vion, they witness it)!!! Hehehe.. A few times, they really need discilpline (on the spot, i believe then it gonna be effective), I slap them.. Hiazz bad mommy hor.. Haizz.. :eek:

NOW.. I no long use my hand to slap.. I use the rubber band on their palm.. Super painful but leave no mark and no damgaging like slapping.. :nah:
Try stating the consequences before leaving home... and if they really dun behave carry out the punishment.... what scare them most? mine is scare of writing, so if dun behave go back write 100times or 200 or 300, up to you.... dun finish, no tv, no toys, etc.... most of the time works, of course sometimes dun la....

better than hitting and slapping... :001_302:

aby

Try stating the consequences before leaving home... and if they really dun behave carry out the punishment.... what scare them most? mine is scare of writing, so if dun behave go back write 100times or 200 or 300, up to you.... dun finish, no tv, no toys, etc.... most of the time works, of course sometimes dun la....

better than hitting and slapping... :001_302:
WOW!!! Tks! okok, use on Ace who can write le.. Ya he shall be punished such a way.. Alythea, rubber band shooting stands time being as dóesn't know how to write yet..

Will keep u updated of the effectiveness, sister!

rjj

WOW!!! Tks! okok, use on Ace who can write le.. Ya he shall be punished such a way.. Alythea, rubber band shooting stands time being as dóesn't know how to write yet..

Will keep u updated of the effectiveness, sister!
Should start on Aly too.... practice handwriting b4 gg to school... mayb simple ones... and lesser numbers, such as 10, 20, 30 etc

stonston

Actualli, many pple will tell u:

- Never use ur hand as the punishment tool. if u realli need to give ur kid some physical punishment, use a ruler or another object (eg rubber band like wot Aby mentioned)

- Never use 'writing' or 'reading' or 'studying' as a punishment. it will lead to e child resisting any form of such activity in future, even if it is fun, cos they already noe: writing/reading/study = punish

Angelmum

- Never use ur hand as the punishment tool. if u realli need to give ur kid some physical punishment, use a ruler or another object (eg rubber band like wot Aby mentioned)

- Never use 'writing' or 'reading' or 'studying' as a punishment. it will lead to e child resisting any form of such activity in future, even if it is fun, cos they already noe: writing/reading/study = punish
:nah: :1err:

:mlaugh: so Aby n RJJ what plan now?

liangmum

hmm...stonston, then wat abt punishment be no food for him?..keke..like his fav. "milk time" say no milk at tat hour if he misbehave..cos my DS likes to eat.

Last edited:

aby

hmm...stonston, then wat abt punishment be no food for him?..keke..like his fav. "milk time" say no milk at tat hour if he misbehave..cos my DS likes to eat.
Heard sharings abt depriving them their favourite snacks, toys or even tv programmes or computer games.. Me just started keeping their favourite toys away for 3 days each etc..

Any mommies used above and have success or unsuccessful stories to share?