How to pump sufficient milk?

Jan25

i will be starting work in 5 weeks' time and would want to continue giving my bb ebm then. currently i'm latching him on everytime as i have never been successful in pumping sufficient milk. by electric pump i can have ard 40ml,manual pump ard 70ml. but these are not enough for each feed. yet when bb direct latch,he does seems contented n is putting on weight fairly.
Any advice how to prep for ebm?

allycat

i'm also going back to work in 5 weeks' later and am getting about 30-50ml per pump. i'm pumping twice a day and after his feeding. i guessed the ebm should be sufficient unless u're not intending to express after returning to work or u'll be travelling frequently. some mummies are stocking about 2 weeks supply for daytime.

adelynn

i was previously latching on 100% before i returned to work and always didn't pump much out - 40ML to 100ML for both sides. 3 weeks before i returned to work i started pumping the feeds during the periods i wld be away for work and somehow each pump i manage to yield more - asked the LC, they said that my breasts takes time to 'get used' to the pump. i'm now pumping twice in the office and yield between 400ML to 550ML for combined pumps.

woofy55

wa sey, i now feeling a bit of pressure. this wk my louis is with MIL.. i've been pumping and pumping to ensure there are 4 feeds of ebm for him during the day and barely enuff, not to mention stockpiling up. Got 1 day I even gotta make use of 1 of the frozen supply. :( And these 2days, he's hving growth spurt!!!! Not enuff again =.="' .. Need to pump more, pump more!

Is Fish and papaya soup going to help now that Louis is already 3mth +?

Last edited:

catherlyn

try drinking lots n lots of fluid which help in my case. before n after pump i always drink alot and when having meals i tried to drink alot of soup too. as bm also mk up of fluid if ur intake is just enough for sweat, urine n other body function, then there wont be extra ba. cos i find that if i didnt drink enough after a particular feed, my pump for next session will for sure b much much lesser.

allycat

but why so much diff in electric and manual? is there a technique in pumping either one??
Perhaps its bcos u have more control on the speed and suction with manual pump so u'll be more relaxed. I've also noticed that I get more milk with manual pump as compared to electric one. However, I'm still using the elec one so its faster.

But then again, it also depends on individual. No diff for some of my girlfriends.

camom

I think it's a matter of getting used to the pump. When I started pumping, I find manual pump easier cos I can control the intensity and speed. Further down the line, the electric pump can extract the same vol of milk as using manual for me.

cmeilim

i will be starting work in 5 weeks' time and would want to continue giving my baby ebm then. currently i'm latching him on everytime as i have never been successful in pumping sufficient milk. by electric pump i can have around 40ml,manual pump around 70ml. but these are not enough for each feed. yet when baby direct latch,he does seems contented n is putting on weight fairly.
Any advice how to prep for ebm?

Hi

My advice for you is to nurse AND pump after nursing, so as to stimulate more demand. Then your body will naturally increase supply over a few days. Pl also drink more water. Can also drink some nursing tea to help boost your BM supply.

allycat

I went to office for half a day this morning and had an actual trial. It was chaotic and ended up taking cab to office :( hopefully I'll do better during the actual run.

faith777

Hi all hardworking mothers. Yes I agree with cmeilim to pump after every feed to increase of flow. It WILL increase gradually as it's a supply demand thing, the more you pump, the more you'll get. Perhaps your electrical pump's suction not strong enough. Important to get a good one. Medéla's good. Can get secondhand. Go find a place/room when go back office where you can express milk. I had a room unoccupied and the office is understanding to put up a big carton box of us mothers to hid behind to pump our milk. Afterall, you're doing it under your blouse. What I've heard is a fish called "Ngor He" in teochew is known to produce more milk. But if you can't get it, drink lots of soup. Don't be discouraged. You'll see results.

meiteoh

Don't give up and don't worry. What I've learnt in my BFing journey so far is to never think that you won't hit the target. Just focus on what's important - your baby - and you will do your best NO matter what.

I too am trying to build up my supply and sometimes I feel lazy (to dig out the pump and pump, etc) but after one week of pumping, it has become second nature to me and even though I'm starting work on the 5th with just 20 ozs of milk in the freezer, I tell myself that I'll make it in time coz it's not for me, but for my daughter.

cmeilim

dont't give up and dont't worry. What I've learnt in my BFing journey so far is to never think that you won't hit the target. Just focus on what's important - your baby - and you will do your best NO matter what.

I too am trying to build up my supply and sometimes I feel lazy (to dig out the pump and pump, etc) but after one week of pumping, it has become second nature to me and even though I'm starting work on the 5th with just 20 ozs of milk in the freezer, I tell myself that I'll make it in time coz it's not for me, but for my daughter.

meiteoh,
that's the right attitude - it will get u far! and congrats on finding a job so quickly. =>

allycat

Don't give up and don't worry. What I've learnt in my BFing journey so far is to never think that you won't hit the target. Just focus on what's important - your baby - and you will do your best NO matter what.

Wow meiteoh, has it been three weeks since u started work? Time really flies!

meiteoh

Thanks ladies!

I'm happy coz I managed to get letdown while on the pump without nursing Eva on one boob (but it took longer than usual and involved me sniffing her romper and so forth) and it was a 2 oz pump! Super happy! Plus Eva seems to be okay with taking EBM from a straw cup - no dribbles and no spills. Tomorrow we'll see how much she can take coz I'll give her chilled EBM instead of fresh EBM plus my HB will feed her. :)

allycat

Thanks ladies!

I'm happy coz I managed to get letdown while on the pump without nursing Eva on one boob (but it took longer than usual and involved me sniffing her romper and so forth) and it was a 2 oz pump! Super happy! Plus Eva seems to be okay with taking EBM from a straw cup - no dribbles and no spills. Tomorrow we'll see how much she can take coz I'll give her chilled EBM instead of fresh EBM plus my HB will feed her. :)
Good improvement :)

I'm getting my helper to bottle feed Quan once a day so that he gets used to it. I've about 30 oz of EBM now, another 30 oz to go if I can squeeze them in :D

iwan2noe

i was previously latching on 100% before i returned to work and always didn't pump much out - 40ML to 100ML for both sides. 3 weeks before i returned to work i started pumping the feeds during the periods i wld be away for work and somehow each pump i manage to yield more - asked the LC, they said that my breasts takes time to 'get used' to the pump. i'm now pumping twice in the office and yield between 400ML to 550ML for combined pumps.
hi adelynn,

how do u do that? How long do u take to pump
400-550 ml of milk?
For each session of my pumping during gd times, it takes almost 50 mins to pump only 300ml.

Pls share some tips with me n for the benefits of other lactating mummies:)

thank so much!! :)