How to pump sufficient milk?

jean1986

wow I usually dun pump that long compared to u mummies.. I only pump abt 10 mins. 5 minutes on each side n both sides I'll get 120ml. aft that it seems difficult to pump more already. how you mummies pump 400ml???

wow I usually dont pump that long compared to you mummies.. I only pump about 10 mins. 5 minutes on each side n both sides I'll get 120ml. after that it seems difficult to pump more already. how you mummies pump 400ml???

Same goes for me. Get about 120-140ml in the morning only. If I pump after a feed only managed to get about 30 -40ml. But somehow I realise the i pump more milk after a sleep/nap.

iwan2noe

Same goes for me. Get about 120-140ml in the morning only. If I pump after a feed only managed to get about 30 -40ml. But somehow I realise the i pump more milk after a sleep/nap.
hi,

how long do u take to yield 120-140ml of milk each time u express?
Usually I'd take ard > 30 mins to yield abt 200ml.100ml per breast though one side of breast yield milk faster than the other breast.
Yup, I do pump more after I took a nap and when I just woke up fresh early in the morning.

adelynn

hi adelynn,

how do you do that? How long do you take to pump
400-550 ml of milk?
For each session of my pumping during good times, it takes almost 50 mins to pump only 300ml.

Pls share some tips with me n for the benefits of other lactating mummies:)

thank so much!! :)
Hey

Each pump session usually lasts between 15 to 20 minutes - depending if am still able to pump out milk or not. I typically know after 2 let downs, i am almost dry; on good sessions i have 3 let downs (but very rare). Each session ranges between 180ML to 280ML for both sides (BTW my output on both breasts so far tend to be quite 'equal')

I make sure i drink lotsa water, i have 2x500ML water bottles in the office and i make sure i finish at least 1 every 2 hours. I also try to keep to fish and/or fish soup (some mummies in the office tell me red meat tends to produce more milk, didnt try that yet) i also eat alot of vegs & fruits.

When i'm at home with my girl, i do 100% latch on. I find that this helps to stimulate the supply.
If i find that my supply is dropping, over the weekends, ill try to do power pumping sessions - it's tiring but it works.

Jan25

i have taken the advise and pumped while nursing on the other side. so far manage to get abt 80ml from one side. but yest tried to pump without nursing for 30min,no let down,results in only 70ml from both sides....if this goes on it means that i have to start pumping and storing ebm for feeding in 3 wks time??

adelynn

i have taken the advise and pumped while nursing on the other side. so far manage to get about 80ml from one side. but yest tried to pump without nursing for 30min,no let down,results in only 70ml from both sides....if this goes on it means that i have to start pumping and storing ebm for feeding in 3 wks time??
to achieve let downs with the pump, it takes awhile for the breasts to get used to the pump w/o the baby. i tend to be able to pump more whilst nursing and pumping.

some pple recommend:
- looking at pictures of ur baby (for me video works better, especially her crying videos)
- bringing a piece of ur baby's clothing to sniff (hehe)
- just relax and close your eyes.
- stimulating your nipples. Take ur palm and move your palm in circular motion around the nipple. (this don't work for me)

It took me a few weeks before i even could achieve let down with the pump.
Just keep on going!

hi,

how long do you take to yield 120-140ml of milk each time you express?
Usually I'd take around > 30 mins to yield about 200ml.100ml per breast though one side of breast yield milk faster than the other breast.
Yup, I do pump more after I took a nap and when I just woke up fresh early in the morning.
abt 15mins. today was slightly better. Managed to get 160ml.

Jan25

after trying pumping while nursing baby,i tried to pump without nursing for a couple of times...totally unsuccessful....so discouraged....

catherlyn

after trying pumping while nursing baby,i tried to pump without nursing for a couple of times...totally unsuccessful....so discouraged....

Don b disencourage ger. Did u drink enough before pump? Don stress ya cos stress also will affect ur output. Hang on there

newbie2009

about 15mins. today was slightly better. Managed to get 160ml.
how old is your baby? Is 160ml enough for your baby?

For me, I have been expressing milk since my boy was 3 month old. In the morning, I can express about 160ml from both side, in the day, it will be alittle less, about 120ml. However my baby is drinking alot more than 120ml. And he refuses to latch on. *depressed*

Jan25

my baby is drinking abt 140ml cos am trying to get him to get used to the bottle b4 i start work. since my ebm is not enough,i need to top up with fm....what should i do?? 2 more weeks to go........

paperger85

My baby is drinking 150 mls but my average pump is only about 130mls so I have to stay home on weekends to pump in order to make sure that supply is sufficient.

newbie2009

My baby is drinking 150 mls but my average pump is only about 130mls so I have to stay home on weekends to pump in order to make sure that supply is sufficient.
The entire day, I can only pump out about 500ml. Hence it is not enough for my baby. Fortunately I did keep alot of stock of express milk. However, I have used up my supply. Hence plans is to give him more formula milk at night.

paperger85

I take Mother's Tea, Fenugreek extract and Fenugreek pills lor. Still so pathetic....So I pump at home during weekends lor. Pump after she drinks and I get about 70mls each time.

how old is your baby? Is 160ml enough for your baby?

For me, I have been expressing milk since my boy was 3 month old. In the morning, I can express about 160ml from both side, in the day, it will be alittle less, about 120ml. However my baby is drinking alot more than 120ml. And he refuses to latch on. *depressed*
my girl is abt a mth old now. im doing 100% latch on and not giving her ebm via bottle. im now pumping after feeds to stimulate more milk. but i must say that i haven't been disciplined enuf...hehe

allycat

I too wasnt very disciplined and only pumped 1-2 times a day. But I'm glad that I started stockpiling about 5 weeks ago and I have about 1 week's supply (yeah, I know its very little :p) in the freezer.

paperger85

I too wasnt very disciplined and only pumped 1-2 times a day. But I'm glad that I started stockpiling about 5 weeks ago and I have about 1 week's supply (yeah, I know its very little :p) in the freezer.
Sighs...my fridge really too small le. I can't even store 2 weeks supply in my fridge. My current supply is only enough to last her at most 2 days.

So, I have to be very hardworking on weekends and keep pumping.