How to store fresh ginger?

CanCanMum

Hi Babes,

i always has this headache when faced with storage of fresh ginger, coz u c we cook every weekends only, sat + sun. My DH loves to steam fishes and we will require fresh ginger.

but hor, coz we only cook on sat + sun, the ginger, by the time we wanna cook is already rotten leh...gotta get a new piece. Den those market places only sell big ones, dun hav small portions.

how to store ginger? Coz when u cut it part of the ginger is exposed. I have tried wrapping them up in those plastic wrappers and store in fridge but no use leh, still rotten....

store in the open oso diff coz of the exposed area. Wrap up and put in the open oso rotten....

any tips?

altho its not expensive but just dun wanna waste...gotta throw every week....

SH74

i seldom cook but i alw c my mil leave it exposed. can last leh. but will become soft aft some time. :p

how abt slice it 1st, then keep in fridge?

SH74

i v good hor? hahaha... :D

i really took some time to think abt possible solutions leh. for some1 who RARELY cook, really not ez. HAHAHHAA... :D

dur30cat

I dunno about how it works for others.

Main thing I learnt is to break off the portion i need by hand if possible or if i use knife, make sure my knife and chopping board surface not wet.

Then leave the unused piece out in the open to air it (I have a small basket along with the onions, garlic etc) and next time i want to use, i just cut and discard the spoiled part.

Hope that helps,
Em