Induce Birth - Pls share ur experience

wenz

hi wenz, i reali envy u leh.. now ur no. 3 otw somemore.. my edd 22 jan.. me so scare now.. duno how is gg to be like.. god help me lol.. now everyday home.. is lk anytime anywhr the bb coming out.. the feelin of waitin i unbearable.. :(
Dear, dun feel scare and stress urself... u must relax and rest more now cos after BB come out no time to rest le...

i still rem my DD i got bleeding and contraction on Sat nite and was rush to hospital for birth in the middle of the nite 2am! so tired!!

Haha... make sure all ur stuff are pack and meanwhile can do some walk or light exercises, this will help when u deliver...

So u opting normal birth? or with Epi?

jojoki

good luck!! hope it will be an easy one for u... let us know ur experience when u r up n well :p take care!

zenmoonflower

Not painful with epidural. But you must be careful with epidural. The stupid anaesthesist didn't ask me from the start if I have scoliosis. I have mild scoliosis, meaning my spine curves to the right a bit, so the anaesthetic solution flowed to my right side. My right leg was very numb but my left leg still had feeling, so I kept pumping more anaesthetic into my system. Only late into my labour, did he think of asking me if I have scoliosis. I said yes, a doctor told me long ago that I hav e m ild scoliosis. He took out the long epidural needle and re-inserted it a bit more to the left. By then, my back muscles were completely "paralysed'. I fell backwards and had to be supported to lean forwards for him to re-insert the needle. That was scary and unexpected (not being able to sit up without support). Both times they inserted the needle, they asked my husband to leave the room. They said it's for sterile purposes but I feel the real reason is that he probably wouldn't be able to take the sight of the long needle going into my spine? But maybe not lah. After all, they witness the birth and all the blood that comes out afterwards. That's probably a lot scarier than seeing the epidural needle go in.

But I digress. Well, I have diabetes too, and my baby was quite big at birth: 3.79kg My doctor asked me to monitor his fetal movements daily, in the late stage of pregnancy. That day was a regular weekly check up for me. She asked me about my baby's movements the past few days. I said that they seemed to be a bit less than before. I asked her (hopefully) if it was because baby had gotten bigger and didn't have space to move. She checked the intensity of his heart beat using that thing they strap on your tummy (CTG?). The printout showed that the peaks and valleys were not as pronounced as before. Since I was already 37 weeks, she had me admitted that very evening. My husband called my parents to tell them. In the clinic, she inserted the IV device into my right hand. I looked away because it unnerves me. But it wasn't painful, not like one time much earlier when I accidentally jiggled it and it hurt like hell.

Then in the room, they asked me to change into the hospital gown. They inserted two IV tubes into the thing on the back of my right hand. One was a glucose + salt solution, because I wasn't supposed to eat anything from then until I gave birth. The other was the solution to induce contractions.

A side effect of the epidural I experienced is that I started shivering uncontrollably after it was administered. That was really unnerving. But better than feeling pain later, I guess. I can't take pain, so I was very sure I want an epidural. I was pretty nervous at first, because a friend who gave birth to twin boys said that when the needle went into her spine, it was so painful she wanted to crawl off the bed and go home! Luckily, for me, it was a slight discomfort, but not painful.

Later, my doctor (or someone else) came to insert the pill into my cervix. The pill is to induce contractions and help to dilate the cervix.

Later, my obstetrician came in and burst my water bag. That's when the serious business started, since, once the water bag is burst, baby is vulnerable to outside infections. And, if the cervix doesn't dilate enough, baby can't come out and that's when you have to go for emergency caesarean. Luckily for me, my cervix opened fully. I guess I wasn't scared of having my baby induced, because my mother had both me and my elder brother induced and she said there was nothing to it. So, I wasn't afraid that it wouldn't work out. Besides, I was lucky to get this really nice Indian nurse by my side who kept chatting with me and making me feel really at ease. She was very encouraging, telling me that my cervix was opening at a good rate. She reported to me how many cm my cervix had opened each time she checked (by putting a disposable glove on her hand and inserting her fingers into my cervix...not a pleasant experience but that's not the worst of it). She promised me that she would stay with me until she saw my baby born, even if it went past her shift time. That's how nice she was. I wrote a letter to commend her and put it in the box they have for such things. I hope they rewarded her the way she deserves.

Near the end, maybe because I pumped too much anaesthesia into my system, I couldn't push effectively when my doctor yelled at me to push. My husband said later that he could already see my baby's head crowning. I pushed like they asked me to, but my face was red with the effort - all the strength I was exerting was going the wrong way. My obstetrician kept telling me I was pushing wrongly. She sounded frustrated - not very encouraging for a mother going through all this for the first time! Finally, she got this Chinese nurse to come in and push and push at my stomach until my baby came out.

I vomited four times after that - another side effect of the epidural.

My baby didn't cry at first. I was so anxious. I was lying down and couldn't see what was happening. Only when I heard his first cry did I feel relieved.

But having to walk around with a urine bag the first few days was really embarrassing for me. Also, I couldn't pass m*tion...that was REALLY, really uncomfortable.