infant care experience?

melbaby

I've js given birth and will be placing my baby in the infant care when she turns 3 month old. The infant care that I chose seems to have good environment and teachers when I visited them. However currently my baby is very fussy and cranky, she cries a lot and I am worried that she will have problems adapting to infant care.

Would appreciate anyone who placed their babies at infant care to share their experiences, especially at 3 month old will they be ok there? I'm mentally prepared for the exposure to germs part, but just not sure whether my baby will be able to adapt happily there since she's very fussy now at almost 1 month old.

Alisa

i leave my son in infant care when he was 4 mths old, he is also an attention seeker, always wanted to be carried and he will cry till his face turn purple kind. my son is okay with strangers and will always smile to them so when i leave him there on the 1st day, i only stay with him around 1-2hrs then i went home. he get used to the infant care quite fast. When we changed his school at his 10th mth old, he cannot get used to it and kept crying. Took about 1-2 weeks for him to settle down. the earlier u leave him in infant care is better, they are young and still do not recongise faces.

vel

hi I like to start doing research on infant care, is there any website or where should I look?

hi I like to start doing research on infant care, is there any website or where should I look?
I used MCYS site to narrow search to near my house infant care centres only. Narrow down choices already then started calling to visit the centres one by one. Do be kiasu and make the decision fast as from experience, always got waiting list! Another thing I realised is some centres can let you have a confirmed place once you pay deposit in full, so essentially, you being on the waiting list will not help much. So still Better to decide fast the centre you want then secure a place.

URL: Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports

jonquil31

May I know what babies do at infantcare actually... If they can't crawl yet, they just lie there n cry? I don't suppose the caregivers have the bandwidth to always carry or play with her.. Infantcare was my first choice but now my heart aches thinking how my baby may not be able to adapt n might be neglected.. Plus she is temperamental so I suppose she will just cry there without anyone tending to her.. can someone advise if my understanding is correct?

I did post the same question to principal of infantcare. She replied that the teacher will let baby do play gym, climb about in gym area, massage, etc during free time based on baby's age. But of course you must understand it is not possible for baby to have 100% attention. Just that I am not sure how much attention baby will really be getting. There are other infants around so I guess he sitting around watching them could be better than sitting at home with only mummy as playmate.

My LO starting infantcare next week, I shall observe and update! My LO also very attention seeking one, always want me to carry or talk to him and even want me nap with him.. I hope he copes well :S

jonquil31

I know what u mean. My baby can't nap without me carrying her n if she don't nap well she will scream the house down. So I really can't imagine how she'll survive infantcare. Which infantcare are you enrolling your baby into if you don't mind sharing?

Same! My little one has problem napping and can get very cranky when over tired, I can't help but worry about him coping in infantcare too. Supposedly the younger they are, the better they can adapt but must weight against baby's immunity can take the infantcare environment anot. And actually babies are very adaptable, I wonder if sometimes the mummy worry too much. My husband thinks baby will cope well, just takes time to adapt. How old is your baby when you send in to infantcare?

I am sending my little one to My First Skool. Currently the ratio of teacher to baby is 1:2. I hope they don't increase the number of babies they take in *keep fingers cross*

I also trying to break baby of habits like having to carry and rock him to sleep, no sleeping in yao lan, no singing... Am also putting him in for half day for 1 month before converting to full day. All these are in hopes he will have a smooth transition..

jonquil31

I'm on waiting list for my first skool as well! It's a long wait...... so we are deliberating between helper and infantcare. I had a call from another infantcare who is able to take my baby in next month but I can't bear to put her in so early. She's only eleven weeks old.

I a bit useless type... Can't bear to let baby cry too much. She has sleeping issues so everyone had been telling me to let her cry it out. But I didn't and carry her a lot. So I'm kinda spoiling her for infantcare coz I guess she's going to cry it out there... The thought of her crying there the whole day makes my heart ache but u r right... I'm probably thinking too much n she'll survive anyway. Must harden heart a bit.

Appreciate your inputs! Keep us posted on how your baby is coping!

kylnn

Hi, my baby Estelle went to infant care when she was just past 3mths. Let me share my experience with you all~

Before she enrolled in Infantcare, Estelle was a very fussy baby... always wanted to be carried when awake, at night cannot go to sleep peacefully... would cry & cry for at least an hr+ even while being carried to coax to sleep. Usually would fall asleep only around 11pm-12am! Sometimes even 1am!!!

At first, I was apprehensive about putting her there. First was the cost. $600/mth! Also, was scared that the teachers might treat her badly - e.g. let her continue cry until hoarse, don't feed milk on time, anyhow scold her etc. But bo-bian, my mom's health not good cannot take care of her fulltime, and my MIL... after observing how she handles my daughter, simply buay sai man.

So baby went infantcare, and I was very observant the first few weeks...

First week:
Baby was ok; teacher commented that she wanted to be carried quite alot (spoilt at home previously i guess hehe!). But overall baby looked ok, was actually cheery when me & hubby picked her up in the evening.
Also, her main teacher commented that her neck was really dirty and they had to wash there quite abit. I was quite surprised that they were so observant, coz baby's neck folds were quite thick so the dirt there was really hidden! This gave me added confidence that they would take care of my baby well. Moreover, she gave me abit of advice on how to take care of her genital area there, coz girls more troublesome there hehe!

Second week:
Baby doing better; seems more smiley actually haha compared to when I was taking care of her during my maternity leave.
Best still, she now falls asleep earlier (before 9pm; I have free time for myself yay!) and doesn't really cry as much.

After first month:
Baby much much less fussy and very very smiley! Whenever she sees someone familiar facing her & talking (whether is talking to her or someone else), she will start smiling & laughing.
After waking up from a nap or night sleep, she would smile happily & laugh whenever I greeted her good morning. So cute!
Putting her to sleep became much easier... maybe tired from infantcare activities, so she would usually conk off early around 8+. She'll still fidget fidget for around 15mins & occasionally cry out in frustration trying to sleep, but at least she doesn't cry for 1hr+ like before.
Oh, and she now can last longer lying down and not want to be carried haha. No longer spoilt!
All her classmates like to play with her too. When she arrives in the morning, the older ones would call out to her in baby babbling 'baby!' and like to go see her when she's in her cot. The teachers also would bring them there to make friends with her.

Now September:
Baby has been in infantcare for 3 mths.
She's a very happy baby now, very smiley and cheerful. Likes to kick & giggle & smile back. Goes to sleep before 8.30pm every night. yay!
She's totally different when compared to when I was taking care of her during maternity leave. Much easier to handle now. I think it's due to the Infantcare's great environment & teachers who took care of her well. I totally have no regrets putting her there.

Last edited:
Hi, which infant care centre did u send ur baby?
Hi, my baby Estelle went to infant care when she was just past 3mths. Let me share my experience with you all~

Before she enrolled in Infantcare, Estelle was a very fussy baby... always wanted to be carried when awake, at night cannot go to sleep peacefully... would cry & cry for at least an hr+ even while being carried to coax to sleep. Usually would fall asleep only around 11pm-12am! Sometimes even 1am!!!

At first, I was apprehensive about putting her there. First was the cost. $600/mth! Also, was scared that the teachers might treat her badly - e.g. let her continue cry until hoarse, don't feed milk on time, anyhow scold her etc. But bo-bian, my mom's health not good cannot take care of her fulltime, and my MIL... after observing how she handles my daughter, simply buay sai man.

First week:
Baby was ok; teacher commented that she wanted to be carried quite alot (spoilt at home previously i guess hehe!). But overall baby looked ok, was actually cheery when me & hubby picked her up in the evening.
Also, her main teacher commented that her neck was really dirty and they had to wash there quite abit. I was quite surprised that they were so observant, coz baby's neck folds were quite thick so the dirt there was really hidden! This gave me added confidence that they would take care of my baby well. Moreover, she gave me abit of advice on how to take care of her genital area there, coz girls more troublesome there hehe!

Second week:
Baby doing better; seems more smiley actually haha compared to when I was taking care of her during my maternity leave.
Best still, she now falls asleep earlier (before 9pm; I have free time for myself yay!) and doesn't really cry as much.

After first month:
Baby much much less fussy and very very smiley! Whenever she sees someone familiar facing her & talking (whether is talking to her or someone else), she will start smiling & laughing.
After waking up from a nap or night sleep, she would smile happily & laugh whenever I greeted her good morning. So cute!
Putting her to sleep became much easier... maybe tired from infantcare activities, so she would usually conk off early around 8+. She'll still fidget fidget for around 15mins & occasionally cry out in frustration trying to sleep, but at least she doesn't cry for 1hr+ like before.
Oh, and she now can last longer lying down and not want to be carried haha. No longer spoilt!
All her classmates like to play with her too. When she arrives in the morning, the older ones would call out to her in baby babbling 'baby!' and like to go see her when she's in her cot. The teachers also would bring them there to make friends with her.

Now September:
She's a very happy baby now, very smiley and cheerful. Likes to kick & giggle & smile back. Goes to sleep before 8.30pm every night. yay!
She's totally different when compared to when I was taking care of her during maternity leave. Much easier to handle now. I think it's due to the Infantcare's great environment & teachers who took care of her well. I totally have no regrets putting her there.

jonquil31

Thanks for sharing Angel baby!

does that mean the teachers wont leave the baby to cry if they are the very fussy type? N did your child fall sick in the first few months? Thanks!

First week:

Second week:

After first month:

Now September:
Hi babe! May i know which infant care you send your baby to?
I am also in a fix now... my baby is 6 weeks old and i still do not get any calls from the infant care! I am still on waiting list sigh! Got no one to look after baby.. currently am looking after myself.
My last option is get a maid which i really do not want to ... sigh

kylnn

Hi Jonquil, I believe the teachers will still let her cry out abit if she's fussy type, but won't let her cry until very badly. You know babies, the longer you let them cry, the more intense they become haha. So the teachers will still carry her in the end. At the same time, since they don't spoil her too much by carrying her right at the start of a cry, baby has become more 'sensible', not so fussy now.

And nope, baby hasn't fallen sick in infantcare once. Only once after injection had fever, but that was over the weekend.

jonquil31

I see I see.. Thanks for your inputs! I honestly don't even know if my baby can get in coz the waiting list is so long! But my girl has lots of bad habits to kick, i.e. pacifier, rocked to nap, etc, so good luck if she gets in... Just worried she will be bored pants down in infantcare if they just leave her lying there. I'll be really heart pain too. She hates lying down so well...