injection-PD,Polyclinic or GP?

diymummy

Hi Claire mama,

It is only made compulsory recently and applicable for babies born in Nov 2009. So I believe the health booklet for NB from Nov 2009 would be different and should include the pnemoccocal vaccination.

The website which you posted was last update in 2008.

diymummy

To clear further confusion, I have copied the news article from channel news asia. Please read it below.

==============================

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Title[/FONT]:[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Parents can use Medisave to pay for pneumococcal vaccinations[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] from Nov [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]By[/FONT]:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Date[/FONT]:[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]18 October 2009 1837 hrs (SST) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]URL[/FONT]:[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]channelnewsasia.com - Parents can use Medisave to pay for pneumococcal vaccinations from Nov [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SINGAPORE : From November 1, parents will be able to use their Medisave to pay for their child's vaccinations against pneumococcal disease. And that is when the jab becomes compulsory for all newborns in Singapore. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All newborns in Singapore are given Hepatitis B shots, one of the first in a series of compulsory vaccinations they will get over the next 12 years under the National Childhood Immunisation Programme. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]From November, the list will also include the pneumococcal vaccine, and parents will be able to use their Medisave accounts to pay for it. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Each vaccine shot costs between S$140 and S$180, and three doses are required by the time the child turns two. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There is an annual limit of S$300 for each Medisave account, but parents may also use their Baby Bonus cash gift or the savings in their Child Development Accounts to pay for the shots. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Those who do not have enough in their Medisave can seek special financial assistance at polyclinics. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Baby Bonus and Child Development Accounts can also be used to pay for catch-up vaccinations for those under five who have not had the shots, and this is recommended by the Health Ministry. Currently only one in five newborns is immunised against the pneumococcal disease, which can lead to pneumonia, meningitis and ear infection. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The disease is caused by a type of common bacteria, Streptococcus pneumoniae. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pneumococcal disease is considered a major global health problem, with those under the age of two seen as the most vulnerable. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]About one million children die from it every year, mostly in developing countries. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And in Singapore, about 70 children under the age of five are admitted to hospital each year due to the disease. Seven have died since 2000. - CNA/ms/ls [/FONT]

joeyz

can any mummies advice me how about to pay the injection thur medisave? i am thinking of bringing my dear son to polyclinic for his jab.

Also, i ever heard one mummies mentioned abt bungkok polyclinic got a nice female doc but i went into the polyclinic website, there is no bungkok polyclinic, only sengkeng and hougang. Can anyone verify.

Any feedback from hougang polyclinic? What is the number to call to make appointment.

Thank you

stonston

can any mummies advice me how about to pay the injection thur medisave? i am thinking of bringing my dear son to polyclinic for his jab.

Also, i ever heard one mummies mentioned about bungkok polyclinic got a nice female doc but i went into the polyclinic website, there is no bungkok polyclinic, only sengkeng and hougang. Can anyone verify.

Any feedback from hougang polyclinic? What is the number to call to make appointment.

Thank you
The nice female doc is at a GP clinic in Buangkok, not polyclinic. The clinic name is Buangkok Medical Centre Pte Ltd. Dr's name is Dr Eileen.

I've been going to Hougang polyclinic since young. Brought my boy there for vaccinations too. Every visit was fast & swift (rmb to make APPOINTMENT). Never been in there for longer than 30min from registration to administer jab till leave the place.

meiying

If you're still unsure from the reports, you can call the polyclinics to confirm the situation as of now.

My son already took the vaccination before it's made compulsory.

I also just asked my colleague about the polyclinic appointment system. She says that she has always been bringing her 2 kids to polyclinics to take their vaccinations. She says that she always makes appointments with the polyclinics but is always made to wait another 2 hours there before being able to see the doctor. She makes her appointments at 9am but only gets to see the doc at 11am. She goes to the Tampines branch.

I'm not here to say if polyclinics/GPs/PDs are better compared to another. Just sharing views as to personal preference and the reason for it being so. All mummies here would have to decide for themselves which is the more practical and affordable solution for themselves. Each choice would come with their set of pros and cons.
hiya diymummy, not sure of which poly u go to, but the q at yishun poly is very fast... so far i bring my boy there many times for jaundice test, he is always given priority, done within an hour.. and i think for jabs, it also clears very fast as i dun see many parents outside the room waiting... i would say yishun poly provide quite gd service...

however i din have my #1 jab there as first baby, have alot of worries and queries, i had the jabs at my pd.. now with #2 i decided to take it at a Healthway GP cos the charges is surprisingly on par as poly:

some info i managed to find:
Poly:
6in1 jab is at $320 with GST and no consultation charges.. Though they say 6 in 1, u still must take the hep B jab at mth 1. so they actually only give 1 jab of 6 in 1 instead of 3 jabs...

My #1 pd:
They advised that 6in1 jab includes hep B. so if u wana take 6in1, u shd not tk hep B during 1st mth. however pd charges are ex with the consultation charges.. 6in1 jab + chicken pox vacc cost $700+! during my #1 time, i took the hep B at poly and continue 5in1 at this pd, so i only paid $430 which include a chicken pox vacc.. but every visit to this pd must pay a consult of $40.. so this time round am not gg back to this pd..

GP HealthWay
Happened to passby this GP and managed to find out more from my fren.. Their 6in1 pkg only at $295 before GST which is abt the same charges as poly. and they do not charge consultation charges.. vacc is administered by doc. They also used 6in1 vacc as they will only ask u go over for the jab when the bb is between 1.5 to 2 mths. I would say this is quite a gd deal if u wana a nite clinic and dun wana go to poly...

apollo

hiya diymummy, not sure of which poly you go to, but the q at yishun poly is very fast... so far i bring my boy there many times for jaundice test, he is always given priority, done within an hour.. and i think for jabs, it also clears very fast as i dont see many parents outside the room waiting... i would say yishun poly provide quite good service...

however i did not have my #1 jab there as first baby, have alot of worries and queries, i had the jabs at my pediatrician.. now with #2 i decided to take it at a Healthway GP cos the charges is surprisingly on par as poly:

some info i managed to find:
Poly:
6in1 jab is at $320 with GST and no consultation charges.. Though they say 6 in 1, you still must take the hep B jab at month 1. so they actually only give 1 jab of 6 in 1 instead of 3 jabs...

My #1 pediatrician:
They advised that 6in1 jab includes hep B. so if you want to take 6in1, you should not tk hep B during 1st month. however pediatrician charges are ex with the consultation charges.. 6in1 jab + chicken pox vacc cost $700+! during my #1 time, i took the hep B at poly and continue 5in1 at this pediatrician, so i only paid $430 which include a chicken pox vacc.. but every visit to this pediatrician must pay a consult of $40.. so this time round am not gg back to this pediatrician..

GP HealthWay
Happened to passby this GP and managed to find out more from my friend.. Their 6in1 pkg only at $295 before GST which is about the same charges as poly. and they do not charge consultation charges.. vacc is administered by doc. They also used 6in1 vacc as they will only ask you go over for the jab when the baby is between 1.5 to 2 mths. I would say this is quite a good deal if you want to a nite clinic and dont want to go to poly...
yup most pd charge consultation fee but i think i'm lucky cos my pd dont charge consultation fee.. and i asked healthway b4 too, their prices are quite reasonable lik what u mentioned, no consultation fees... and healthway clinic has lotsa branches too... =)

joeyz

The nice female doc is at a GP clinic in Buangkok, not polyclinic. The clinic name is Buangkok Medical Centre Pte Ltd. Dr's name is Dr Eileen.

I've been going to Hougang polyclinic since young. Brought my boy there for vaccinations too. Every visit was fast & swift (rmb to make APPOINTMENT). Never been in there for longer than 30min from registration to administer jab till leave the place.
Thanks alot stonston mummy, one last question, do u happen to have hougang polyclinic number to make for appointment. I need to bring dear son for vaccin soon.

Does anyone knw when is the first jab suppose to schedule? dear son abt 5 wks old now.

meiying

Thanks alot stonston mummy, one last question, do you happen to have hougang polyclinic number to make for appointment. I need to bring dear son for vaccin soon.

Does anyone knw when is the first jab suppose to schedule? dear son about 5 wks old now.
hi joeyz, u mean the first jab at polyclinic? tat will be hep B which should be exactly 1 mth or later after his birthdate.. cannot be earlier.. if im not wrong, all polyclinic appt goes through the same call centre 6355 3000...

diymummy

Hi meiying mummy,

My colleague experienced the long queue at Tampines polyclinic and I personally experienced it at the Bedok Polyclinic...

So in the end I gave up and go to PD as I'm not sure which GP around my region is experienced with babies. And my PD's clinic is usually quite quiet so I see him very fast. Not to mention too that his assistant also give me freebies from time to time. Haha.

Anyway, I'm glad that you mummies have good experience at polyclinics in your area. After some bad experiences in polyclinics with myself seeing a doc as well as bringing ds, I have totally given up on polyclinics.

meiying

Hi meiying mummy,

My colleague experienced the long queue at Tampines polyclinic and I personally experienced it at the Bedok Polyclinic...

So in the end I gave up and go to pediatrician as I'm not sure which GP around my region is experienced with babies. And my pediatrician's clinic is usually quite quiet so I see him very fast. Not to mention too that his assistant also give me freebies from time to time. Haha.

Anyway, I'm glad that you mummies have good experience at polyclinics in your area. After some bad experiences in polyclinics with myself seeing a doc as well as bringing dear son, I have totally given up on polyclinics.
wah seems tat the east side polyclinic is not doing a gd job with the babies ya... keke.. yeah i understand the fustration lor.. but i also chose not to go poly again for the 2nd time.. still prefer a GP if not gg to pds... Mummies who wana try out GP can lookout for Healthway in your area to see if having same promo at $295 before GST... :Dancing_wub:

apollo

i once brought ds to hougang polyclinic for injection with appt. waiting time is v fast. in fact, on the dot. just that i feel that the doctor there didnt do a good job checking on ds, so went to pd instead. but the nurse who inject for ds is VERY GOOD!!! very fast!

hakisumi

hmm.. i called up healthway tpy .. cost $268 b4 GST..maybe different clinic price ll vary abit... after much consideration decide to go this GP this coming tues.. :)

brandonchia

Alpha Male
Dear Mummies, I had visited Healthway @ Anchorvale yesterday and was given a good briefing from the doctor on what we should do for child injection till the age of 1 year old.

Most attracting is that the doctor had also assured that their charges is much cheaper than polyclinics. They also included some basic child development screening for those who signed up their packages. All charges can be paid by the baby bonus accounts!

The best of all is that you can call the clinic up to tell them that you are coming and they will put you in the current queue. You can wait at home and go down as and when on that day.

Doctor was friendly and professional, thus my wife and l will definetely go for it.

I would recommend all of you to go check out the healtway websites...

baby_elmo

Also, i ever heard one mummies mentioned about bungkok polyclinic got a nice female doc but i went into the polyclinic website, there is no bungkok polyclinic, only sengkeng and hougang. Can anyone verify.

Thank you
My hubby n i would prefer polyclinc than pediatrician b'cos we suppose polyclinic is cheaper & has assigned baby nurses doing injections everyday.
Went to Yishun polyclinic for my gal's 1st hep B injection and the nurse is very nice and patient.
:001_302: explain to me about the package available and also highlighted to me that if my gal had her 1st hep B injection later than 6 weeks old than we can't opt for 6 in 1.
:red: Most importantly, she was very quick - needle went in / out within 2 secs and my gal didn't really cry over it.

just to add on some info on polyclinic charges :-

Make appointment @ any of polyclinic is 6355 3000.
Waiting time about 15 - 30mins ( NB has priority Q)

5 in 1 Enhanced Vaccination - $290.40
[4 injections exclusive of 1 Hep B injection @ 6 months old]

6 in 1 Enhanced Vaccination - $326.10
[4 injections inclusive of Hep B injection]

Hep B injection is $20 - $26 per dose

Pneumococcal - $160 per dose.
Package 1 : 2 doses + 1 booster for 3 / 5 / 15 months
Package 2 : 1 dose for between 12-59 months

Rotavirus - $90 per oral dose
Required 2 dose with 1 month interval / min. age 6 weeks old & completed by 6 months old.

*Medisave allowed for payment of Hep B and Pneumococcal (max : $300 / yr)
*CDA allowed for payment of 5 in 1 or 6 in 1 Enhanced Vaccination Programme; Pneumococcal; Rotavirus; other optional vaccinations.

brandonchia

Alpha Male
Healthway Infant Vaccination Packages
BASIC VACCINE PACKAGE (6-in-1)
3 Infanrix Hexa Doses
USUAL PRICE: $286 NOW: $268 SAVE: $18

OPTIONAL ADD ON PACKAGE (A)
2 Oral Rotarix Doses
USUAL PRICE: $190 NOW: $168 SAVE: $22

OPTIONAL ADD ON PACKAGE (B)
3 Pneumococcal Prevenar Doses
USUAL PRICE: $465 NOW: $400 SAVE: $65
2 Pneumococcal Prevenar Doses
USUAL PRICE: $310 NOW: $272 SAVE: $38
1 Pneumococcal Prevenar Doses
USUAL PRICE: $155 NOW: $138 SAVE: $17

OPTIONAL ADD ON PACKAGE (C)
1 Chicken Pox Varilix Dose
USUAL PRICE: $75 NOW: $63 SAVE: $12

OPTIONAL ADD ON PACKAGE (D)
1 Infanrix 5-in-1 Booster Dose
USUAL PRICE: $80 NOW: $68 SAVE: $12

OPTIONAL ADD ON PACKAGE (E)
1 Priorix MMR Dose
USUAL PRICE: $30 NOW: $22 SAVE: $8

OPTIONAL ADD ON PACKAGE (F)
2 MMRV (New 4-in-1 vaccine against
MMR and chickenpox) Doses @ 15th & 18th Mths
USUAL PRICE: $240 NOW: $178 SAVE: $62

Payable by Child CDA Account.....

Last edited:

joeyz

3 Infanrix Hexa Doses

2 Oral Rotarix Doses

1 Priorix MMR Dose

i went to the healthway for the 6-in-1 jab for dear son recommended by haksiumi mummy. it is indeed cheaper thn gov polyclinic when u take a look at the above pricelist contributed by 2 nice mummies. All healthway clinic offer the above rate, v convenience. :)

baby_elmo

3 Infanrix Hexa Doses

2 Oral Rotarix Doses

1 Priorix MMR Dose

are these packages are available in any of their healthway gp clinic?

LWP6998

Alpha Male
i once brought dear son to hougang polyclinic for injection with appt. waiting time is very fast. in fact, on the dot. just that i feel that the doctor there didnt do a good job checking on dear son, so went to pediatrician instead. but the nurse who inject for dear son is VERY GOOD!!! very fast!
I bring my son over to Hougang Polyclinic as well, perhaps the injection services is fast, yet to try but will be going over to have the 1 month injection for my son, but just want to comment that there is this female indian doctor only allocated for children, cause my son was there to take blood test almost everyday after discharge from KKH to make sure that Jaundice level comes down after the peak of between 7 to 10days.. but just felt the female doctor attending to my son was probably not really sincere during consultation, really a vast difference of standards betw Hougang poly and KKH.. if not for the cheaper payment and nearer to my place would not have gone there...
however, have to comment that there is indeed a different waiting area for the children waiting to have their jabs. payment and registration also pretty fast as there is priority for children despite the over-crowded place.

apollo

I bring my son over to Hougang Polyclinic as well, perhaps the injection services is fast, yet to try but will be going over to have the 1 month injection for my son, but just want to comment that there is this female indian doctor only allocated for children, cause my son was there to take blood test almost everyday after discharge from Kandang Kerbau Hospital to make sure that Jaundice level comes down after the peak of between 7 to 10days.. but just felt the female doctor attending to my son was probably not really sincere during consultation, really a vast difference of standards betw Hougang poly and Kandang Kerbau Hospital.. if not for the cheaper payment and nearer to my place would not have gone there...
however, have to comment that there is indeed a different waiting area for the children waiting to have their jabs. payment and registration also pretty fast as there is priority for children despite the over-crowded place.
i also stop going to poly clinic becos of the doctor! but not tt indian doc is another chi female doc. cos i feel tt they shd actually let a 'more experience' doc to check on babies. but no choice, the amount we pay is lil, cant expect much, thus we bring him bk to his pd instead. at least their checks are more thoroughly and wont gif unnecessary comments to make 1st time mummy worry. =)