Is baby detergent an essential?

blackpiggy

Hi mommies, I'm doing up a shopping list for my baby, is baby detergent an essential?
Both my mom and mother in law says normal detergent will do as long as separate washings for baby's and adult's clothing. Is it necessary to use baby detergent for washing baby clothes?
Also, how do you wash them? Handwash or machinewash? Machinewash like not clean but I lazy to handwash :p

jasobias

no there is actually no need for baby detergent.I have been washing all my kids clothes with normal detergent.N if u think machine wash is not gd enuf,u can handwash them or at least soak the clothes first b4 dumping into the machine.

apollo

for me, i use baby detergent for ALL ds's clothings. at 1st my mum also kinda object me using baby detergent but now, she will pester me to buy new bottle when the current one is finishing..

we handwash ALL the clothes, esp ds's ones.. if have no time to handwash, can just dump into the washing machine, but for those lik hankies which has milk stain, better scrub it away b4 dumping into the washing machine =)

allycat

i'm also using baby detergent and handwash the baby's clothes since they are washed separately from other family members.

nataliecxy

You can use regular detergent to wash your baby's clothes unless your baby has allergies or very sensitive skin.

You may do a test by laundering one or two articles of baby's clothing along with the rest of your family's wash. If your baby's skin seems fine when he/she wears those items, go ahead and toss in all his/her clothes.

Phoebii Cheng

I use baby detergent too, cos' I like the smell. But I use machine to wash them, cos' my hubby is the one washing clothes, so cannot expect him to handwash the bb clothes......but if the clothes got stain normally he will soak it first and scrub away the stains before washing

iwan2noe

Hi mommies, I'm doing up a shopping list for my baby, is baby detergent an essential?
Both my mom and mother in law says normal detergent will do as long as separate washings for baby's and adult's clothing. Is it necessary to use baby detergent for washing baby clothes?
Also, how do you wash them? Handwash or machinewash? Machinewash like not clean but I lazy to handwash :p
Hi blackpiggy,

I use a baby detergent and i am using pureen ABD liquid detergent.
Kiddy palacce is now having promotion, just saw it ytd, but i didnt get it yet as still have it at hm, a spare one even... it is sold at $9.90 if I didnt see wrongly. usual price is 12.90. Blue bottle with yellow cap. I love the smell of the clothes after washing with it =P

pink_daisy

i tink is up to individual.. u can buy a bottle n try.. last time when my kids were still small, i use baby detergent. i will soak (n scrub the stains) b4 handwash. washing machine got alot of germs n 'dirt' actually becoz of our adults' clothings so if u can, try to handwash.. newborns n small babies' immunity still not so strong.

blackpiggy

thanks all for your advice :) since normal detergent is ok, i think i will try with the normal detergent 1st with extra rinses. will buy the baby detergent if there's a need. hopefully my boy is not with extra-sensitive skin.

blackpiggy

i tink is up to individual.. you can buy a bottle n try.. last time when my kids were still small, i use baby detergent. i will soak (n scrub the stains) before handwash. washing machine got alot of germs n 'dirt' actually becoz of our adults' clothings so if you can, try to handwash.. newborns n small babies' immunity still not so strong.
thanks, ya i thought washing machine not so clean too. Maybe will handwash for the 1st few weeks then later dump a few pcs into machine trial and error to see how's it.

fern

i use kodomo baby detergent - the refill pack which is about 600ml (can't remember off hand) is only about S$2.85 from CK (i get one from the CK branch at Yishun Chong Pang), much cheaper than from stores such as ntuc

babybull

Hi, we've been using normal detergent (machine wash) for my baby since she was born, now baby is already 4 months old, no probs so far.

when we attended the antenatal class at KK, the nurse also said that its not necessary to use baby detergent unless your baby really has sensitive skin.

its the same for baby bottle detergent. according to the kk nurse, normal dishwashing liquid will do.

we use normal mama lemon dishwashing liquid to wash baby's bottles, teats, pacifiers etc since day 1. so far ok.

Initially i wanted to get all the baby detergents for clothes and bottles cos i'm a kiasu first time mom. but my hubby (he's a scientist) said there's no real need to do so as the cleaning mechanism for all detergents are the same, and since the kk nurse said the same thing, might as well save the money and use it for diapers and milk powder instead. =)

and apparently, he said that nearly all the parents of young babies (mostly scientists too) at the lab where he works don't bother with buying baby detergents either.

Last edited:

newmum80

Hi, we've been using normal detergent (machine wash) for my baby since she was born, now baby is already 4 months old, no probs so far.

when we attended the antenatal class at KK, the nurse also said that its not necessary to use baby detergent unless your baby really has sensitive skin.

its the same for baby bottle detergent. according to the kk nurse, normal dishwashing liquid will do.

we use normal mama lemon dishwashing liquid to wash baby's bottles, teats, pacifiers etc since day 1. so far ok.

Initially i wanted to get all the baby detergents for clothes and bottles cos i'm a kiasu first time mom. but my hubby (he's a scientist) said there's no real need to do so as the cleaning mechanism for all detergents are the same, and since the kk nurse said the same thing, might as well save the money and use it for diapers and milk powder instead. =)

and apparently, he said that nearly all the parents of young babies (mostly scientists too) at the lab where he works dont't bother with buying baby detergents either.
My hubby told me the same thing as well and we have been using normal dishwashing detergent and normal detergent for my son since day 1 and so far so good. :)

allycat

Do you mummies mix the NB clothes with the rest of the family members? Or do you wash the baby's clothes separately?

apollo

Do you mummies mix the NB clothes with the rest of the family members? Or do you wash the baby's clothes separately?
nope, we always seperate. cos my mum said adults tend to sweat more than babies, not hygience to mix. we will handwash sepearately, only aft handwashing ALL the clothes den we will mix baby n adults' clothes tgt into the washing machine to spin them dry =)

allycat

nope, we always seperate. cos my mum said adults tend to sweat more than babies, not hygience to mix. we will handwash sepearately, only aft handwashing ALL the clothes den we will mix baby n adults' clothes tgt into the washing machine to spin them dry =)
I usually separate the clothing till baby is 1 :D