Is breast pump useful to non-working mother too?

vane_etoile

:Dancing_wub:Hi

I'm now 28th weeks pregnant, in the midst of buying baby things. Was wondering whether I should start buying the pump now, or wait till after deliver? Also, will it be useful even if I won't be working for sometime? Need advice from experienced mummy.. Thanks alot! =)

I'm a SAHM & I find breast pump a compulsory item to have for a number of reasons. It helps relieve engorged breasts when supply is more than demand. Papa can bond with dd by feeding her ebm too. Good to have ebm on standby in freezer for emergencies. With a supply of ebm, I can dump dd @ my parents' home sometimes when I need a day off with hb. Dd needs to learn to drink from bottle so she can be weaned off easily when the time comes....

SH74

i think it depends on how demanding is ur bb. for me, i hv manual breast pump but i seldom use. 'cause i prefer direct latch on. easier n faster. whenever got engorgement, i'll let my boy latch on. less painful, i feel, as compared of using breast pump to get rid of the milk.

even when my boy's asleep, n i got engorgement, i'll carry him to my side to latch on. if he dun want, n u r too tired to pump (esp in mid of nite), ask hubby lor. :p

but aft saying all these, i think it's still a good to hv, as standby.

Lotus

For my first I had a pump but my daughter refused bottle so BF until she was weaned. It wasn't too difficult as eventually feeds take a few minutes, no need to wash sterilise etc and I would arrange my outings either with her or during her sleeps. If we went to dinner then she would sleep in pram.

With second he was bottle and bf and it was easier as anyone could feed him and had #1 to also look after.

Having dad feed them does let them bond however dad can also do other things like read to baby, bathe baby, give you a break between feed by spending time with baby etc.

Ultimately I don't think a breast pump is essential and you can always get one after the baby is born and you have a better idea as to how you as a mum will operate.

selene_85

I feel tat it is necessary to have a breastpump if u r consider to feed ur bb for longtime. I feel it will be useful cause sometime if ur bb don drink too much. Ur breast will feel engroged, so u need to pump out & u can store in the frigde.

CDL

I have an ameda and it is one of the most used applicances I have. I bought it before baby was born and brought it to hosp with me. My baby was born 1 mth early and she was tiny when born (2.02kg). She slept alot prob because of the effects of the epidural and the other pain relief medication.

I had no choice but to cup-feed her and expressing wsa crucial. Also with the pump, I expressed colostrum initially and continued pumping religiously till milk came.

Woudl recommend that you get it before baby is born as there will be other things to buy and get once baby is born and you can't anticipate everything. Where price is concerned, I found the best price at Breastfeeding Mothers Support Group, even with contributing to their yearly membership fees.

Hope this helps and good luck with a smooth pregnancy and easy delivery