Is breastfeeding every 1 hr normal?

HI mummies,

My darling daughter is about 3 weeks old now and I have opt for full breastfeeding until yesterday... although i understand that I have to feed on demand, but she has been having some weird 'patterns' like feeding hourly from 7-11am and 7-9pm which cause my right breast to have very low supply (my left breast was too sore for her to latch on, so i express instead).

i have tried to give formula yesterday for 1 feed and she finished 60ml. and in an hour after the formula feed, she wanted me to feed her breast milk again... why is that so? isn't formula supposed to be more 'filling' than breastmilk?

I'm getting so tired during this period altho i have confinement lady to help, do share with me if you have similar encounter and how i can catch her feeding patterns.

Phoebii Cheng

I think some babies feed every hourly.....so I guess different babies hv different feeding pattern....

After the first month then the feeding pattern will stabilise.....my hubby have a colleague whose wife recently gave birth, the daughter oso like yours feed every hourly....and she oso gave FM to her in between the feeds

If your nipple is sore, you can buy those nipple cream or use ur BM around the nipple area

The more you latch on the more milk you will supply.....

newbie2009

HI mummies,

My darling daughter is about 3 weeks old now and I have opt for full breastfeeding until yesterday... although i understand that I have to feed on demand, but she has been having some weird 'patterns' like feeding hourly from 7-11am and 7-9pm which cause my right breast to have very low supply (my left breast was too sore for her to latch on, so i express instead).

i have tried to give formula yesterday for 1 feed and she finished 60ml. and in an hour after the formula feed, she wanted me to feed her breast milk again... why is that so? isn't formula supposed to be more 'filling' than breastmilk?

I'm getting so tired during this period altho i have confinement lady to help, do share with me if you have similar encounter and how i can catch her feeding patterns.
There will be period where your baby will feed every hour. This is known as growth spurt. It should last for afew days. After that he should resume to his normal pattern.

If you are concern about latching every hour, you can try to give him formula milk. At least u can give your breast a rest.

And yes, you can get those nipple cream. It will help to relieve some soreness in your breast.

diymummy

Yes, during growth spurts you will need to feed almost every hr. Growth spurts usually comes at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 mths, 4 mths, 6 mths and 9 mths. But after the growth spurtss after 3 mths will not be hrly already so don't worry.

Feeding formula when you're tired is an option but because after the spurts, your baby's appetite will stay increased because they have grown, you will find that your milk supply will not be enough.

so try to latch as much as you can so that your supply will increase for your baby after their growth spurts.

thanks for the advice ladies! i guess i'll have to be patient then.. also, she has a tendency of unlatching by 'pulling' my nipple with her mouth.. is that normal? she's so chor lor...and sometimes she sucks so hard and breathe so hard (altho she's latching on correctly)...

hakisumi

i have a 'similar' case.. a few nights.. i war w my bb from 10pm -12plus pm..i tot he fell aslp den i try to burp him.. he gets angry and wan more milk..

currently i only can feed with my left breast cos my right side no milk supply.. i try let him latch but he pull hard n now its painful..plus sometimes he bbbrush it..OMG..

if you're fully breastfeeding and encountering the growth spurt, then the increased feeding should help to increase your supply. maybe you can try pumping out to see how much baby is feeding. then for the next feed try giving more and see if that would stretch out the feeding times.

cheers!

meiying

my bb also 3+ weeks now.. sometimes he also fed every hours while at times 2+ hours... i think its very normal.. if one side of ur breast has lower supply, then u try to feed that side first then move to another side... sometimes they just wana suckle like my boy seem like hungry but suck awhile and doze off... my helper always tell me: baby hungry.. then i will ask: huh again??!! then in e end i will say lets monitor to c if he is reali hungry cos i dun wana give him habit of suckling if not my helper will be doomed after i go back to work.. hee..

hearty

Feeding hourly is normal in the early weeks. There were a few times I had to feed my baby hourly from 11pm to 4am. Give yourself at least 4-6 weeks, apply some lansinoh for sore nipples and go without bra if you can (at least during bedtime). Try to feed on the side which is less sore first...then switch to the other side when the baby is less desperate.

My girl is latching every hour, sometimes makes me feel hurt my nipple, very near to surrender coz my baby feed like pacifier, even its hurt when i can see the face latching on me, i feel my heart full of joy.